UCSD IR/PS

PeterP

When you are given a housing offer, it's for a specific room, so they don't take long to set you up with your roommmate (who presumably already lives there). I only got my offer at about 11:15, so I haven't heard much yet.

Nope, that's actually reassuring that I'm not the only one... I'm assuming that there's a lot of people who asked for an August 1 move-in date so they may not have been able to call everyone in the span of a day. If I don't hear from them today I'm going to call them.

Sigh... I got offered a spot at Mesa. I really didn't want to have to buy furniture :(

EDIT: I called Housing to ask about this, since I had put Rita as my first pick, and it turns out no girls are moving out of RAR right now so I can't even decline and wait for a second offer; I'd probably get another Mesa/OMS offer before Rita opened up based on where I am on the wait list. Guess I'm buying second-hand furniture...

Edited by OregonGal

E-mailed, which is funny since the website seems to tell you that you'll only get a phone call. When did you apply for housing? I put in for it April 8th so I was probably pretty high up on the general list (though halfway down the Rita list and not budging, apparently).

Also, after looking at the floor plans I'm a bit happier about my Mesa placement. Not so happy about the 2+miles to IR/PS or having to buy furniture, but I'm in an 840 sq ft apartment with a 10x15 room and a patio :)

Edited by OregonGal

Oh ok, yeah I don't think I signed up for another couple weeks after you, but hope to hear soon! Also, were there just no spots for Rita Atkinson for females only? Still holding out for that but I'll make due with whatever, still think its relatively cheap and relatively close. Mesa was my second choice and Coast my third, although I now know that Coast is pretty much not going to happen since they apparently have a super long waitlist, like years long.

Yeah Coast is pretty much a no-go... It sounded like it was the females wait-list that wasn't really moving as they were expecting, they didn't say anything about the guys' waitlist. Mesa was my second choice, but it's only $10 more than RAR so at least I'm not paying a ton more on top of the longer commute. I'm just hoping that once I get in contact with my roommate I'll be able to buy some of her outgoing roommate's furniture.

Called today, they told me that I would hear probably by end of June or early July. Not sure why so late since I submitted my app I think sometime around Apr. 20. They seemed positive that there would be something eventually available although it's not 100% guaranteed but she seemed a bit less optimistic that I would get Rita Atkinson.

@Seaking, I'm fine with Mesa for the first year and I can always try and move into RAR later if a spot opens up or I have a friend there in need of a roommate. Anywhere off-campus is going to be prohibitively expensive on my budget. Besides, it's a temporary hang-up in the RAR female wait-list because I guess no one wants to move out, and they expect it to clear up in a couple weeks--which will be too late for me, since I'd be guaranteed to get a second offer from a place with no wait-list (Mesa/OMS) before then.

At the very least, for the $10 extra a month I get 100-200 square feet extra space over RAR, a big patio, they're installing wifi all over Mesa (we'll see how good it is), and I'll get a good 4-5 miles of biking in for exercise a day (yay...).

I got a housing offer from One Miramar Street housing today and I think I'll take it. Seems nice enough and a great deal for the area and free parking.

One concern I had, which isn't really specific to One Miramar, is what about next summer since most of us will probably be interning away from SD. It says we can sublease it but if we can't find anyone are we just stuck with paying for the summer even if we're not there?

I looked at the leasing agreement and the rules, and what it sounds like we can do is sub-lease to a current student (i.e. a known quantity to the university). Certainly on the housing folder there were a lot of "sublease this space" e-mails--though that folder has since disappeared from my FirstClass and I don't know how to get it back.

You could also try sub-leasing on the DL, though I think that would be easier in Mesa than in OMS or RAR because Mesa is less monitored (no key-cards or Community Assistants).

Also got offered a space at Rita Atkinson, so I definitely took them up on that and turned down One Miramar. Seaking, are you planning to bring a car? Although Rita Atkinson is cheaper and furnished, I'm planning at this point in bringing a car and its $81 a month for on campus, which would make it about $40 bucks more per month overall since for One Miramar or Mesa, it's included. Trying to think of ways around having to pay that per month haha.

Also got offered a space at Rita Atkinson, so I definitely took them up on that and turned down One Miramar. Seaking, are you planning to bring a car? Although Rita Atkinson is cheaper and furnished, I'm planning at this point in bringing a car and its $81 a month for on campus, which would make it about $40 bucks more per month overall since for One Miramar or Mesa, it's included. Trying to think of ways around having to pay that per month haha.

Yeah, I have a similar car dilemma. I haven't been to the campus in a while, and I'm wondering if there is free parking away from campus, i.e. the residential areas or in one of the supermarket parking lots nearby. Obviously not the ideal solution, but $81 a month seems too much.