UCSD IR/PS

PeterP

@Azruel and everybody else: Did you guys receive an email specifically saying that funding decisions are available in the Messaging tab? I received an email today titled "UCSD Graduate Application" which tell me to go to the application page to see the Decision Letter. Funding is not mentioned in the letter and there is nothing new in the Messaging tab either. Thanks!

I received an email that notified me of a new message.  I checked, and there was the funding message.

Still waiting for a decision.  For those who have been accepted, what specialization did you pick for your MPIA degree?  Also for those accepted, are any of you active duty service members or veterans?

I am doing the Globalization Political Science track in the SE Asia region

Still waiting for a decision.  For those who have been accepted, what specialization did you pick for your MPIA degree?  Also for those accepted, are any of you active duty service members or veterans?

To answer your questions: I am neither an active duty service member, nor a veteran (although I highly respect all applicants who are and keep us safe; honestly, so much respect). I will likely be declining my offer this week due to lack of funding if that helps those waitlisted. I will know almost certainly by Wednesday about this as I am waiting on a few contacts to return my messages.

As for specialization... I didn't really pick one... I transferred my app from PhD to MPIA so my application materials just transferred. I am certain they assumed Latin America or China, since I am fluent in Spanish and French (there is no Western Europe emphasis) and I am interested in doing research on Chinese politics comparatively with the U.S. and Western Europe.

For all UCSD IRPS admitttees, I am curious, what are your planned concentrations (regional + functional), and looking ahead what are your career plans.

My planned functional concentration is either intl. econ or management, and regional concentration is China Studies.

When it comes to career goals, I would like to pursue a career in intelligence, but given impending current government cutbacks I think it is wise to hedge my bets. I am attracted to IRPS because its strong focus on quantitative methods and markets (finance, economics, management) will appeal to organizations at the intersection of the public and private sector (political risk and strategic consultants, energy firms, investment banking)

Does anybody else share these interests, and do these interests match up with the education that IRPS provides?

For all UCSD IRPS admitttees, I am curious, what are your planned concentrations (regional + functional), and looking ahead what are your career plans.

My planned functional concentration is either intl. econ or management, and regional concentration is China Studies.

When it comes to career goals, I would like to pursue a career in intelligence, but given impending current government cutbacks I think it is wise to hedge my bets. I am attracted to IRPS because its strong focus on quantitative methods and markets (finance, economics, management) will appeal to organizations at the intersection of the public and private sector (political risk and strategic consultants, energy firms, investment banking)

Does anybody else share these interests, and do these interests match up with the education that IRPS provides?

i am not a UCSD admit but i do share your interest in the intelligence field so i will throw in my two cents. i am currently in the US Armys MI Corps and my colleagues from USSOC/JSOC have gone on to work as intel analysts in every three-letter agency I can think of, as well as all the big contractors who aid the military. I am entertaining those same offers and would probably have accepted one already if i wasnt so set on getting a MA. in the current intel field enviroment i actually feel that quant is the subject looked at the least when it comes to intelligence careers. while this is purely anecdotal, the impression i get that is that those hiring for level 2 positions (a masters degree holdier usually wouldnt put in for a level 1 position) first evaluate SOC-level military experience, then how socially well-networked the candidate is, then regular military experience/leadership experience, then degree and degree focus. for example, the last time i worked in a paper-publishing intel job, our think tank consisted of grads from Penn State (myself), UC Irvine, UNC Chapel Hill, USF, and U of Hawaii. none of these are known to be major IR schools and none of us knew much about generating stats (only knew how to read em) but ive found that both in the military, government, and even the civilian intel field, the specifics on your program is far less important than the amount of field work and connections you possess.

All right.  I had a nice discussion with the admissions office and they told me that they are reviewing another pool of applicants and will be releasing more decisions next week.  As my patience is being tested by the pressures of transitioning out of the Marine Corps, I am steadily leaning towards GWU Elliott.  California is my state of residence and part of me desires to return, but we shall see.  

All right.  I had a nice discussion with the admissions office and they told me that they are reviewing another pool of applicants and will be releasing more decisions next week.  As my patience is being tested by the pressures of transitioning out of the Marine Corps, I am steadily leaning towards GWU Elliott.  California is my state of residence and part of me desires to return, but we shall see.  

That is ridiculous really. Every other school has released decisions. Why are they taking so long? 

I was admitted March 8th. Not a veteran, and never had more than part time experience working during school and volunteering at NGOs, and about to graduate from my undergraduate in May. I did have amazing letter of reference, and a very clear and concise statement of purpose I spent a month and a half on with help. My focus is intl politics with a specialization in China, and I'm currently interested in intelligence especially related to East Asia conflicts, though the whole field fascinates me and at this point working at a three letter department would be a dream job experience.

Absolutely ridiculous they are still making me wait for a decision. I sent them a strongly worded email detailing how they've unnecessarily added to the stressful time for applicants. No excuse to have such delay, especially as they offer rolling admissions and the newsletter says a decision will be reached and communicated to you in 2 weeks. That was dated in Feb.

Absolutely ridiculous they are still making me wait for a decision. I sent them a strongly worded email detailing how they've unnecessarily added to the stressful time for applicants. No excuse to have such delay, especially as they offer rolling admissions and the newsletter says a decision will be reached and communicated to you in 2 weeks. That was dated in Feb.

Yep, same waiting here... submitted mine before the Jan deadline and still waiting today. It kind of delays all my alternative plans for this summer and the whole year! They better accept all of us who are still waiting for the result.

hi all, i was told last week that i would likely be getting off the waitlist and today it was confirmed. i'm really not pleased with how the UCSD application process went however and will most likely decline admission barring some kind of miracle development/brain aneurysm

Edited by WakeMeUpB4UGoGo

Interesting development.  I received an e-mail invitation for an admitted students orientation session, though my application is still under review.  As late into the game as this is, I am near decided on George Washington.  

Okay.  Long await is over.  UCSD IR/PS accepted my application.  Do not know why it took so long, but it finally came through.  The question I ponder is whether I decide upon GW Elliott or UCSD IR/PS.  

• 7 months later...

So are y'all still liking UCSD? I'm working on my app now and am a little intimidated by the secondary essay question about leadership/initiative and the fact that they don't give a word limit for their essays.

Also, does anyone know if most funding comes from the San Diego Fellowship? Or is funding doled out separately by the IR/PS school as well?

Of all the grad school possibilities out there, only UCSD and SAIS Europe are hitting the sweet spot for me at the moment.

Thanks,

tito

I'm really enjoying the program. There's always something interesting going on, the career services are pretty fantastic, and interacting with fellow people interested in the same field as me is really inspiring. Regarding funding, aside from the fellowship, I think you can qualify for funding based on merit, but not too many people will get an offer. However, there are a good amount of TA/RA opportunities around and that will help out a lot with reducing how much fees are. 

For my application, from what I remember the advice I was offered was keep it as short and to the point as possible. My SoP was three pages max, and my second essay was two pages (roughly 600 words). If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them when I'm able!

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

I'm currently in the Marines and planning on getting out next spring...applying for the Fall 2015 school year. I've just spent a good portion of my day reading through this thread, which is really great.

I just wanted to revive this thread and see if there are any new updates on the IR/PS program.

My initial few questions:

-Admissions states that both the GRE and GMAT are accepted, is there a preference?

-Are there any military vets out there using the GI Bill for this program? Does it cover most/all of the costs?

-Besides doing well on the GRE or GMAT (I will take it when I get back from Afghanistan this summer), is there anything else I should do to prepare?

Thanks!