UCSD IR/PS

PeterP

The lady I talked to today from the Rita Atkinson housing office said that some students just park on Gilman since it's a "public street" and therefore don't have to pay for parking I guess. It seems a little too good to be true though. She said that to Gilman where people would generally park it's only a 10-15 minute walk. But the Revelle parking lot is the same distance away where we otherwise would park if we buy a permit. So something doesn't quite make sense I feel like.

Edited by understatement700

Which prep do you guys have to take? They're making me take QM and econ. I did just take micro and macro econ this last semester (online) so I think I'm going to try and waive out of that and save $500, unless there's a really compelling reason to take it..

QM and Econ. I took Micro and Macro my freshman year oh those many years ago, and an International Business and Economy class my junior year, so I was not surprised to get remanded to remedial classes.

• 5 months later...

Some are really basic and silly XD Do you know the word count for the essays for the application? I'm going crazy over finding them. And what is the funding looking like this year? I would be applying this fall, and would be entirely dependent on finaid and fellowships/working to be able to go to grad school...and I know there is a deadline for admissions by the middle of January, but I also read rolling applications are accepted through April? Would submitting my application at the end of January or in February hurt my chances? From your experience in getting admitted to IRPS and taking classes at UCSD in general, do you think having a low GPA (3.09) together with average GREs (159/148/4) will matter more than my personal experiences, such as studying chinese polisci overseas for a year in Singapore, having some fluency in mandarin, and being an intern at the IRC? Sorry, worried about grad school and stressing over these things...

I'm really not sure about word counts, I'd give them a call if you can't find that information on the website, they're pretty helpful. Funding-wise, there definitely is funding out there although I'd say that those who get it probably have more work experience, higher GPAs, test scores, etc. If you don't get funding there are opportunities to do TA-ships, etc. but these are completely contingent on you being able to secure these yourself after you've gotten here and they are pretty competitive to get since most TA-ships at UCSD go to PhD students. Also, they advise against getting them your first quarter when the work load is particularly intense. And I can attest that it IS very intense.

I'm not really sure about the rolling admissions issues, I know that some people did apply after the deadline and still got accepted, but I'd really say get your application in as early as possible to increase chances of admission and funding. Most people here have some kind of work experience too although there are certainly a decent amount straight out of undergrad as well- I'm guessing that they tend to have higher GPAs/test scores, etc.

Sorry, I don't know more about the nitty gritty of the application and admission process, I'd give them a call.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone got advice on approaching the second essay for MPIA? I'm a bit worried about mine.... I'm approaching it as how the US's approach to the Senkaku-Diaoyu dispute changed my views on initiative and the role of leadership and actions taken by countries in leader roles like the US...

Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody that applied to MPIA early (the Dec. 4th deadline) has heard back yet?

This is my first post on this forum so hello everyone!

I applied to MPIA on the early deadline, just found out this morning that I have been waitlisted. Feels bad :(

Congrats on your acceptance edan!

Thanks! I'm excited to know that I'm accepted at IR/PS. I would be more than happy to live in La Jolla for two years. I'm just hoping they consider my application competitive enough to offer me some funding.

Question - Seeing as how you were accepted at some of the same schools I'm applying to, what were the reasons that caused you to enroll at IR/PS, and why would you recommend the school to others over some of its competitors? I know the climate is great, their asia-pacific regional focus is strong, etc, but I'd like to hear what else drew you there.