Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

I just got a call from a Columbia POI. I have an offer. 'History Day' for students to visit is March 8th. 

There should be a lot more exclamation points in there, I'm pretty sure, but to be honest I'm just gobsmacked!!

Congratulations! That is amazing. What a great program.

(And I am mighty jealous. Time to sign off the ole gradcafe and get some work done).

I just got a call from a Columbia POI. I have an offer. 'History Day' for students to visit is March 8th. 

There should be a lot more exclamation points in there, I'm pretty sure, but to be honest I'm just gobsmacked!!

Congrats!! :)

If you don't mind me asking, what is your specialty? 

PS Congrats!!

Edited by tpipoli

I'm not sure why they don't notify everyone all at once either, unless it is to consider who they are going to extend offers to enroll in master's programs with partial funding and the like. In any case, I am quite sorry to have been the bearer of this news -- I was on tenterhooks myself at the beginning of February last year... 

Virmundi, was that not the case with acceptances last year? They notified everyone at the same time, unless POIs jumped the gun and emailed their admitted students to congratulate them before the mass email from the graduate registrar went out.

Unless that has changed this year, I wouldn't assume rejections just yet guys  :)

Edited by Safferz

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm still feeling overwhelmed by it.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your specialty? 

PS Congrats!!

I'm sort of a crossover between Early Modern European and Atlantic history; my undergrad honors thesis was on Elizabethan privateering. I'm hoping to work on the Dutch Revolt, and study the English Channel as a political environment in the late 16th and early 17th centuries.

Does anyone know if the two Harvard interviews on the board are meaningful in that if we didn't receive such a request we shouldn't be hopeful for admission? They strike me as pretty informal but it may be the norm in the department for professors to informally interview students they hope to admit.

I haven't seen much discussion of it but the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign admit was me. I received an actual offer with funding details yesterday but I think my admission may have been pushed out early because I'm being nominated for a fellowship that has a paperwork deadline of today. There may be more admissions coming for anyone that is curious.

given that it's almost 3:30 EST, anyone still think Princeton will send out decisions today? 

Looking like no! Also -- there's going to be a major snowstorm tomorrow here in the Northeast -- or at least, the threat of one, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's relatively quiet in these corners.

Ach, more delay. Where I'm from originally, a foot of snow would not normally shut down anything. Maybe at least Cornell will be used to it and notify...

Anyway, I'm assuming the worst for Columbia anyway after today's calls.

Edited by czesc

Ach, more delay. Where I'm from originally, a foot of snow would not normally shut down anything. Maybe at least Cornell will be used to it and notify...

Anyway, I'm assuming the worst for Columbia after today's calls.

I was actually taking a run, listening to music with headphones when my iphone started blaring this horrible emergency warning siren noise, letting me know that a blizzard warning is in effect. The only other time it's done this to me was during Sandy, so it seemed a BIT melodramatic. Anyway, I've crossed Columbia off the list too. A shame, it would have been a good fit. (& therefore I'm now officially feeling like my other programs aren't going to work out either). Mostly I'm bummed because this finally means I'm leaving NYC after a decade. I love this town, but I do feel I was hoping to have the excuse to PhD it somewhere cheaper & less distracting... Congrats to those who heard good news today. Lucky ducks :)

Edited by lafayette

Wow, Lafayette, your situation sounds a lot like mine - Columbia was a good fit for me, and I got the terrifying iPhone buzz-blast too (and hoped it was a call). But at least you have an acceptance! (was JHU not so great a fit? That gives me hope that another program might still pick me.) I'll take some solace in the fact that I can still maybe stay in NY if NYU takes me...but it's looking more and more like my application must've been a huge dud and no one will.

hdunlop - thanks. I can't believe how many art history results there are. It seems like some schools have more in the budget for that than the history of everything else...

Edited by czesc