Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

How about a little Tom Petty on this slow Friday while we're "waiting?"

Sure is a slow Friday!  After the flurry of activity yesterday, I was hoping for more today.  Come on, remaining programs - put me out of my misery! :P

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what is going on with Syracuse? Judging by the results page, they usually don't send out decisions until March. I wonder if they'll be early this year. 

hey peeps.

I was bored today, and remembered "Drunk History".  If you all haven't seen it, you MUST watch it!  My dad (a history prof) showed it to me.  It's so freaking funny.  Well, them again if you already have... it's a good distraction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipV2u-MxlFc

there are other episodes, but this one is my fav.

Don't worry -- NYC is ridiculously, painfully expensive :D! (THAT said, if anyone wants any advice on the city, including living in it on a very small budget, don't hesitate to message me).

And I have heard wonderful, wonderful things about living in Amherst! Congrats!!

Thank you very much !!

Speaking of the NYC, I got an e-mail from CUNY today requesting a phone interview. The e-mail said "we'd like to inform you about the committee's deliberations and discuss your interests and plans". I don't know what to think because I have friends who were "interviewed" just to find out their names were on a long waitlist. I wish these people moved in less mysterious ways.

Thank you very much !!   Speaking of the NYC, I got an e-mail from CUNY today requesting a phone interview. The e-mail said "we'd like to inform you about the committee's deliberations and discuss your interests and plans". I don't know what to think because I have friends who were "interviewed" just to find out their names were on a long waitlist. I wish these people moved in less mysterious ways.
You and I are program twins again! I got the same email from CUNY last night and haven't been quite sure what to expect. Here's hoping this is good news for us! :)

Also, I think I forgot to mention this last week, but the POI who contacted me from UNC Chapel Hill stated that there would be a visiting weekend toward the end of March. I'm thinking that they'll be sending most if their notifications out sometime in mid/late February to allow folks enough time to arrange for travel? :)

Thank you very much !!

Speaking of the NYC, I got an e-mail from CUNY today requesting a phone interview. The e-mail said "we'd like to inform you about the committee's deliberations and discuss your interests and plans". I don't know what to think because I have friends who were "interviewed" just to find out their names were on a long waitlist. I wish these people moved in less mysterious ways.

Hi heulwen, I received the same email and I am wondering the same. Did you friends actually have a proper interview? I am wondering if I should prepare...

I've talked to a couple people about this, but wanted to get some opinions from you all.

I got an e-mail today from the DGS at one of my (probably) middle-ranked schools. He told me I was on a short list of applicants that the committee is considering. Great news, right? But he went on to ask me how seriously I was considering this school and if I'm still interested, which I am. And also this: "If admitted to them, would you choose other programs over ours? Which ones?"

He assures me this has no bearing on my admissions (which seems strange). I am very interested in the program, but it's not my top choice. So I feel a little awkward about it. What do you make of this?

I've talked to a couple people about this, but wanted to get some opinions from you all.

I got an e-mail today from the DGS at one of my (probably) middle-ranked schools. He told me I was on a short list of applicants that the committee is considering. Great news, right? But he went on to ask me how seriously I was considering this school and if I'm still interested, which I am. And also this: "If admitted to them, would you choose other programs over ours? Which ones?"

He assures me this has no bearing on my admissions (which seems strange). I am very interested in the program, but it's not my top choice. So I feel a little awkward about it. What do you make of this?

If I was you, I would take this as a very positive thing. I believe that the admissions committee is worried that you may jump ship if you get a better offer. Basically, they really want you but predict that you will be accepted to a better program.  This is an awkward situation for you so make sure you really think this through and word your reply email in a professional and direct manner. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.  

I'd tell them that you would seriously consider them but that you couldn't possibly make a decision until you saw offers.  And give them three or so names on your list maybe the ones roughly around them on your list of considerations.  Don't say "well if i get an offer from X place I'm going."

Som places don't get to pull off their wait list.  THey make X number of offers with funding and if one of those turns them down they're X-1.

It is an uncomfortable position to put you in and it's unfair.  But it is what it is.  Assuming you have 9 other schools on your list ... don't list all of them and don't list ones that are obviously "out of their league".  This is almost certainly a tactic about sorting out thier funding.

Some departments have university or SGS funding which they are allowed to offer to a specific student. If that student does not accept the offer of admission, the special funding reverts to the university; the department cannot just offer it to the next student on their list. It's possible this is why certain departments are calling to probe about your intentions.

I see that someone was accepted to UW-Madison, congrats!! Does anyone know if they have sent out all their admits already? My online application still reads "Pending" and it looks like a lot were notified by postal service.

I see that someone was accepted to UW-Madison, congrats!! Does anyone know if they have sent out all their admits already? My online application still reads "Pending" and it looks like a lot were notified by postal service.

Someone got accepted on the 7th and then another on the 9th, with both saying they received the news through the website. I've checked multiple times, and my online application has the "pending" status as well. Frustrating, no?

By next week we should know though. UW-Madison is pretty reliable about getting all the info out in two weeks, according to the records on the results page. Generally notices end within two weeks after the first notices are sent out. I think the online applications are just being updated every day in small batches. An order is based on what was submitted first or whatever order the stack the papers with the acceptance/rejection notifications are in. Just a guess. 

I thought for sure the news would be given to me this week.  <_<

I'd love to know who got into UW-Madison who said they studied East Asian history. I think there are only about three of us on this forum, unless there are some quiet lurkers to the forums, and I'd love to just chat about your field. I rarely get to talk to anyone in my area of history.  :(

Someone got accepted on the 7th and then another on the 9th, with both saying they received the news through the website. I've checked multiple times, and my online application has the "pending" status as well. Frustrating, no?

By next week we should know though. UW-Madison is pretty reliable about getting all the info out in two weeks, according to the records on the results page. Generally notices end within two weeks after the first notices are sent out. I think the online applications are just being updated every day in small batches. An order is based on what was submitted first or whatever order the stack the papers with the acceptance/rejection notifications are in. Just a guess. 

I thought for sure the news would be given to me this week.  <_<

I'd love to know who got into UW-Madison who said they studied East Asian history. I think there are only about three of us on this forum, unless there are some quiet lurkers to the forums, and I'd love to just chat about your field. I rarely get to talk to anyone in my area of history.  :(

I study East Asian history as well. I will PM you. Us EA Studies Folk have to stay together!

Don't forget to click through to the second page on your application. The first page doesn't always update, but the second does.