Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Hi guys, I am also new in this forum. I have been admitted to ASU, but there was no word of funding. I sent e-mails to a few addresses, yet couldn't get replies. Any of you know anything about fundings of ASU?

Also as I see, Virginia has already sent both acceptances and rejections, but I am still waiting. Does this mean that they have already chosen all their grads?

No idea with Virginia - there seems to have been one official email sent, but it might not mean all decisions have been made. Looks dire for anyone studying European history though; someone who emailed said they were only taking two admits in the field.

I just missed a call from a blocked number and I can't stop wondering if it was a POI or somesuch...of course, they'd probably leave a message, but I'm not going to let that get in the way of nervous speculation.

No idea with Virginia - there seems to have been one official email sent, but it might not mean all decisions have been made. Looks dire for anyone studying European history though; someone who emailed said they were only taking two admits in the field.

I just missed a call from a blocked number and I can't stop wondering if it was a POI or somesuch...of course, they'd probably leave a message, but I'm not going to let that get in the way of nervous speculation.

Same thing happened to me last year - it turned out the call was from someone completely irrelevant. Don't worry, if they want to talk to you, they'll definitely send you a message before or after they ring you.

It may also be that the economy has (ever so slightly) improved.  Grad school applications always go up when the economy is bad. 

As for looking at the applications, it was described to me this way by a professor.  They glance through most of the materials, they start reading the writing sample and at what point they stop is a key factor.  As they aren't giving the applicant feedback on the paper they don't have to read through samples that aren't up to snuff.  Than they go back and read the rest of the supportive materials closer for the ones they make it to the end of the writing sample. 

So YMMV.

i just got more news for anyone applying to Davis: a friend of mine applied and saw her appilcation status still said "incomplete," so she e-mailed the graduate chair asking what's up and he said that decisions have been made but the majority of acceptences have not yet been informed due to funding complications. so if anyone (like me) has not yet heard and is getting a little worried, don't fret yet as you still have hope!

PS she also found out she got in, which i thought was a nice coda to this tale

It may also be that the economy has (ever so slightly) improved.  Grad school applications always go up when the economy is bad. 

As for looking at the applications, it was described to me this way by a professor.  They glance through most of the materials, they start reading the writing sample and at what point they stop is a key factor.  As they aren't giving the applicant feedback on the paper they don't have to read through samples that aren't up to snuff.  Than they go back and read the rest of the supportive materials closer for the ones they make it to the end of the writing sample. 

So YMMV.

I always thought they read the SOP first.

As a follow up to my last post, I just e-mailed the graduate director myself asking, basically, "If I haven't gotten an acceptance e-mail yet, is it safe to assume i'm not going to?" and he said that while it's too soon to know for sure, the assumption is probably correct. He also followed up with a nice e-mail telling me that my application was excellent and my POI was impressed with my record and that this was an "unbelievably" deep year in my field, so not to take it too harshly.

Anyway, sorry for the conflicting reports, hope this helps someone else out there.

My department also received fewer applications as well.  There has been very scary rhetoric in the last few years about the job market and I suspect that more and more people are being transparent.  It is also the economy improving a bit.  The profs here still scare the shit out of graduate students into thinking hard about strategizing their programs of study.

Sometimes I shake my head in disbelief that I made it through the roughest years of graduate admissions when I really did truly want to go for my PhD while a number of applicants were looking to escape the reality.

My emotional landscape is best described through the poetry of T.S. Eliot:

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow
                                        For Thine is the Kingdom
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
                                                    Life is very long
Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow
                                        For Thine is the Kingdom
For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

[okay, the world isn't OVER  yet.  but between the applications and the response, lies the shadow...]
Edited by Katzenmusik

Czesc: Classic!  I hope we both get to slouch somewhere next fall.

Hanbran, your selection is jolly but lost me with the first line: "Here are the essentials of a happy life, my dear friend: money not worked for, but inherited..."

Yeah, it's not flawless :P.