Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Yeah, the above is what I got from the document, too. But what confuses me is whether you need to accept an offer by April 15. Because theoretically, if you don't accept by then, would you not need written permission (or not need to deal with the social opprobrium) of backing out? And would your offer still be held open?

The resolution discusses "an offer given or left in force"...I wonder if the difference between these covers both scenarios (i.e. a student has accepted an offer or not).

You do need to accept or decline an offer by April 15th otherwise you lose your funding package.  There IS a process in which you do have to formally withdraw your offer from another place in order to formally accept another offer.  I'd imagine that the DGS would help you go through the process of doing so.  It happens every year.

So if you're still on the waiting list and have yet to be notified on the 15th of whether or not you're off, you do need to decide right then whether or not you will accept the offer you already have.  When the clock strikes midnight for April 16th, you are then locked into that program.  From there, you do need to go through a formal process of withdrawing and accepting offers.  

HOWEVER, if you do hear from another program saying you're off the waitlist after you've accepted an offer and it's not midnight yet for April 16th, you are STILL free to switch.  You can accept an offer and then be off the waitlist an hour later and you can go back to the original program and say "never mind, I just got off the watilist at my top choice but thank you for the offer" and accept that other offer.  All no big deal so as long as it's not April 16th yet.  

The DGS in my program just told me all this (and she is a stickler for rules).  (And no, this was actually before I saw the questions concerning this issue :).)

Makes sense?

I finally accepted UConn's offer. Riverside still hasn't made an admission decision even though I was specifically told I would hear by the 15th. Oh well, just wish I would have known they would do this so I could have saved my money. 

Congratulations to all the Fall 2013 applicants! What an exhausting but rewarding journey. Best of luck to everyone.

Edited by CarrieLe5

I had one of those last minute crises of confidence when IUPUI decided to offer me what would have amounted to nearly 100% funding. ... And I turned them down.

I know, I know, I am insane. But I could not in good conscious tell Maryland no after I had been so enthusiastic about going there because of money. It was wrong. And I still couldn't get excited about Indianapolis. I believe that Maryland will make me the happiest and offer me the most potential jobs after graduation. 

Now, I just really need that TA position at Maryland to come through!

I also had the weirdest thing happen from Indiana-Bloomington. They sent me the courtesy email that said "You've been rejected" but they had the wrong specialty. They said I was rejected from Early Modern European History. I don't do that specialization. I don't even like that specialization. I am a post-1989 Europe girl. Early Modern just sounds... icky. (No offense to those who specialize in it. To each their own)

In two weeks I am giving THE party with my closest friends. After that I need to pack/sell/store lots of things and work usually piles up in May. In July I am visiting my parents before leaving for the States. So far, today I will have a drink with two graduate students of my program :D

I am treating myself to a week in Spain! (Or well, that's one of the reasons I'm going to Spain...)

And buying myself a Maryland sweatshirt or t-shirt or something. :)