Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

I saw that, too! Oh and an interview for Harvard. I'm so excited for my fellow historians!

Woohoo! Congrats to the Harvard interview and the acceptance to UC-Riverside whomever you are!

Does the interviewee at UCSB want to come forward? PM me? I just want to know your field! I do hope it went well. They are a lovely bunch at UCSB  :wub:

Ditto for Harvard?

Does the interviewee at UCSB want to come forward? PM me? I just want to know your field! I do hope it went well. They are a lovely bunch at UCSB  :wub:

I have got an interview at UCSB. My field is ancient Chinese History.

For the UCSB interview folks - did you receive an email or phone call requesting an interview? And when did you receive it?

I got a request mail January 4th, did the interview 7th. According to my prospective supervisor, the result will perhaps come late February, only 6~7 students will able to obtain full-scholarship, but the interview cannot guarantee it. 

Two questions - 1 completely grad school app related, the other, not so much.

1) I had emailed a colleague about sending me his LOR so I can submit it for an application. I emailed him over a week ago. At what point is it acceptable to send a follow up? He just needs to attach the letter to an email and I'll do all the rest.

2) Don't pelt me with fruit for asking this but... where does your historiography go in your thesis? Do you put it immediately after your thesis but before your historical context or where? My historical context also happens to be my first chapter so I'm not entirely sure where I need to throw in my historiography bit so it seems to make sense.

Many hugs and cups of hot tea to everyone waiting!

1) When is your deadline? I'd probably start thinking about chasing it up now, especially if the deadline is looming. I don't think that's an unreasonable timeframe, especially if you phrase it politely!

2) If I'm understanding you correctly, mine always goes in the introduction. Well actually, it is the introduction. But then I'm quite big on historiography and historical theory; it tends to structure my entire approach to a topic and thus makes sense for it to be my introduction. It'll be interesting to see what others say. [this might depend on whether you're a modern history, early modern, medieval etc...]

@Sio68 - The official deadline so we can get housing is the end of February. However, the sooner I get my application in, the sooner I hear (they have a two-week turnaround).

Hmm...interesting to the historiography. I'm a huge historiography fan. Foucault and Stoddart - I love, love them. I'm using Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities as a basis for my thesis. But I feel weird, in my introduction saying "intro THESIS" and then "Much of the literature is economic or politically based..." Especially since there *isn't* a lot of literature on my topic per se. I'm writing about Slovak emigre opinions on the Velvet Divorce but much of my literature is just about the Velvet Divorce.

I'm a post-Cold War historian if that helps.

Thanks! And I would be interested to see what others think.

Well I suppose I could put it another way; I use my introductions to outline why the topic is important, and why my contribution is important. So my intro will 'introduce' (!) the topic, but then also go on to position this topic within the discipline. There wasn't that much on my subject either - which is what made my contribution important. However, you should probably talk about what *is* available (this might be specifically related to your topic, or thematically), and show how it leaves big gaps. You then go on to summarise what you will do and explain how it fills these gaps and/or gives a different perspective. If done correctly an analysis of existing historiography should naturally give you the opportunity to say why your work is important.

Perhaps you could take a look at some journal articles or books for example introductions because I find that most historians will weave the historiography into their intro, with varying degrees of skill.

I haven't read Imagined Communities, but it has been recommended to me! I should get on to that (along with my gigantic list of other recommendations...!) Also a fan of Foucault.

... where does your historiography go in your thesis? 

I'd say before the historical context. I would try to mention it within/after the intro as Sio mentions. 

P.S. I use Anderson's Imagined Communities in my work as well :-) I do a lot with nationalism.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't lead off with the historiography. Especially if you're using theory more typically drawn upon in other disciplines-- part of your argument will be justifying this application, right? So you'd want to set that up early on.

You know it's bad when you start checking when results came out from your schools in previous years.  Having said that, I might hear from USC this week or next if they are on the same schedule as last year.  Ahhhhhhhhhh~

You know it's bad when you start checking when results came out from your schools in previous years.  Having said that, I might hear from USC this week or next if they are on the same schedule as last year.  Ahhhhhhhhhh~

A dangerous game.  Good luck maintaining your sanity :P.