Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

UK equivalent for BA? - I'm filling out the Oxford app and they are asking me the result of my undergrad degree...

These are my choices:

First Class

Honours

Pass

Second Class, Division One

Second Class, Division Two

Third Class

Unclassified

I'm leaning toward unclassified, but I'm clueless. Any ideas?

This should help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification

(I had this info corroborated by friends studying in the UK at the time I first applied here, so it's accurate.)

I think when I applied to Oxford I called my degree 'Honors' and found space on the application to explain that referred to the fact I had completed an honors thesis within the US system. But in the end they get plenty of US applicants, so I'm sure they'll be able to accurately evaluate you whatever you put down.

Just finished my 8th application out of twelve. Two more are due by the 15th and the other two on January 4.

When I started working on parts of my application back in July, I knew this process would require time/effort, but I don't think realized what an emotional roller coaster it would eventually be. I can be in the middle of finishing a statement of purpose and feel on top of the world and once I submit it I lose all confidence. I hope graduate school is better than applying to graduate school!

I have been in two graduate programs. Half the time I feel like I am a total idiot, the other half I believe I am the only smart person on this entire planet. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Good luck!

those of you sending chapters of your thesis, are you including any sort of introductory paragraph or anything, outside of what you are saying about it in your SOP?

If space permitted I included a whole page describing the full arc of the thesis and the chapter's place within it, and pointing out the research/skills involved in researching it.

Does anyone here have experience applying for FLAS grants? Am I right that people outside the department will be evaluating it? I realize that I'm repeating quite a bit of my SoP...

Am I right that people outside the department will be evaluating it?

This may vary by school, but at my grad school FLAS grants are reviewed by a center within the university which is completely separate from my department.

This may vary by school, but at my grad school FLAS grants are reviewed by a center within the university which is completely separate from my department.

Thanks! This was my impression, so I hope I'm on the right track...

i'm in the process of submitting my applications, I'm just so confused about this whole funding thing. when and where and how are you supposed to apply for funding? i'm a canadian applying to canadian universities, one usa university, and some uk universities for masters in international development. any help will be appreciated!

Anyone come across applications asking for "relevant experience"? I'm sort of vexed as to what to put here, especially if redundant with my CV.

I haven't worked as a teacher, research assistant, or professor of any other kind before, so do I put nothing, or enter other job experience that might be justifiable as "relevant" (because it involved some vaguely transferable skills) to a PhD?

Same goes for publications -- I clarified what were non-academic publications on my CV, but I'm guessing they only care about academic publications if asking for them separately on an application?

Czesc, don't worry about either.

jtu2tj- for Canadian universities, that might be something you'll want to research some more and call up the Graduate School. If the department guaratnees full funding packages with acceptances, then there is no need to fill out such funding applications.

Just as a heads up, i don't know how much i will check in over the next few months. I'm hitting full swing in generals prep, but if you have any princeton related questions PM me. I'll try to give people a heads up if hear department gossip but they're pretty good about keeping things quiet.

They hit the yield they wanted last year so I suspect they're going to admit the same 36 expecting 22 they've done the last few years.

This is why I shouldn't hang out with politics people...

I've been told my interests are really more "InterPol" focused than "History" focused. That's why I decided not to do a full History master's and instead focus on Public History/MLIS. Everyone I tell my interests "transition between Communism and Democracy in Eastern Europe" they said "Oooh, you're doing network theory!" Normally I ignore them.

But then someone mentioned this program at St. Andrew's. It's a one year Master's of Literature in Peace and Conflict Studies. I could really focus on my love of ethnic contention and social history. I love, love the idea of staying in the UK one more year, getting a Master's and then taking over the world. It's definitely more practical for me to stick with my original plan of Archives/Public History but now that someone has suggested this and said, "Ann, this is what you are really interested in..." I am realizing they are right. I AM a politics major in disguise.

Why am I discovering this after I've submitted all but one of my applications for Archives/Public History and December of my senior year of university?

EEK!

@annieca, aren't the deadlines for St Andrews pretty late? I looked into that program once and it does sound great. (We have similar interests, btw, although I'm interested in politics as background.)

I just realized this unintentionally rhymed. I should get off Grad Cafe until these applications have stopped messing with my head.

Edited by runaway

@runaway - Yep, the deadline is January 14th so I can easily get it done once I get back from my Christmas spent in the States provided I give my two recommenders notice now.

Of course, going to St. Andrew's just kicks the can of "What am I going to do with my life" down the road a little further.

Are any members here applying to Johns Hopkins and/or Harvard? After submitting my applications yesterday, I noticed that the general graduate school webpages mention that applicants must upload a copy of their transcripts and also send in a copy of their transcripts. Perhaps because other schools do not require this, I am just now noticing it and a bit worried as the deadlines have now passed.

Should I contact the Graduate Schools tomorrow? If I rush mail transcripts to these schools, despite coming in late, do you think that they will still be accepted? Johns Hopkins mentions that official transcripts must be recieved prior to the application deadline. I wonder if there is any possibility of them accepting transcripts a few days late?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Are any members here applying to Johns Hopkins and/or Harvard? After submitting my applications yesterday, I noticed that the general graduate school webpages mention that applicants must upload a copy of their transcripts and also send in a copy of their transcripts. Perhaps because other schools do not require this, I am just now noticing it and a bit worried as the deadlines have now passed.

Should I contact the Graduate Schools tomorrow? If I rush mail transcripts to these schools, despite coming in late, do you think that they will still be accepted? Johns Hopkins mentions that official transcripts must be recieved prior to the application deadline. I wonder if there is any possibility of them accepting transcripts a few days late?

Just email the Graduate secretaries and/or the DGS. They will be able to offer better advice than we can. However, I wouldn't worry too much -- if it's not on the history website, it's probably either not a priority or they're used to this happening.

Yes, both. I also noticed this yesterday for Johns Hopkins, day of the deadline. I'm just sending my transcripts via mail on Monday. Since they have the unofficial I'm really not sweating it at all, and figured others would be in the same boat. But good to know about Harvard too (have started app but missed that, somehow) -- my deadline for that one isn't till January.

Just email the Graduate secretaries and/or the DGS. They will be able to offer better advice than we can. However, I wouldn't worry too much -- if it's not on the history website, it's probably either not a priority or they're used to this happening.

For Harvard I wouldn't contact the DGS or graduate coordinator... it's GSAS that receives the applications and makes sure they're complete before forwarding everything to departments (this is the case for most schools, in my experience), so direct all questions to them. Last year they had a phone number you could call to confirm your application materials have been received, since the Harvard application website doesn't show that.

Thank you all for your sound advice. The most I can do at this point is to rush my transcripts to both schools and I will contact them tomorrow. I feel a bit foolish over such an oversight, especially with the time I spent on each application.

Thanks again for the helpful comments and suggestions.

As I mentioned to my friends, I've officially hit the "hyperventilating into a paper bag" stage of PhD apps. :)

Applied to Northwestern, Fordham, Yale, Ohio State, and UMich's Doctoral Program in History and Anthropology (yep, all one program). Will apply to York (UK), Oxford, CUNY, and Toronto in the coming weeks. I still need to write the research prospectus for the abroad schools (I'm an American), but I have the grunt work already done.

As I mentioned to my friends, I've officially hit the "hyperventilating into a paper bag" stage of PhD apps. :)

Applied to Northwestern, Fordham, Yale, Ohio State, and UMich's Doctoral Program in History and Anthropology (yep, all one program). Will apply to York (UK), Oxford, CUNY, and Toronto in the coming weeks. I still need to write the research prospectus for the abroad schools (I'm an American), but I have the grunt work already done.

I'm also working on my research prospectus for my UK schools...It really is a totally different animal, isn't it? I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'd rather write an SOP! :blink:

This was me just a few days ago. But now I've submitted most of my apps save for one, which feels so odd after thinking about this process for so long and being in a working frenzy for the past month or so!

Now I'd just like to know, and I think January will be rough in its waiting. More okay now with the idea of being rejected than I thought I'd be -- because at least it's some response, and I'd like for it to be done! Although the idea of being rejected from all and having to go through this again totally haunts ... but let's save that worry for another day.