Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Wow... TEN? That's halving the size of the normal cohort size (which was around 18-20). But this is likely their yield that the're aiming for. And it is true, they skipped the admissions for Fall 2012 cohort. It wasn't pretty from what i've heard.

It all goes back to that huge amount accepted in 2011. Since they guaranteed funding for them, they'll have to deal with the repercussions of putting extra money towards that group for the rest of their degrees. Applications could be like this for a few more years.

That reminds me. Veterans of previous application cycles, how much time would you say it took to fill in that minute information? (;

It takes more time than you'd expect to just enter all the information, even if you have everything ready. Especially if you're applying to 10+ schools, and especially if you're neurotic about triple-checking everything (it paid off for me - on one application, I accidentally uploaded the wrong SOP before submitting it, and only caught the mistake at the last second because I decided to one last check. I didn't get in to that school anyway, but I think it would have been more certain if my SOP was talking about an entirely different school and an entirely different POI). This isn't even taking into account the weird, unexpected questions some applications might ask -- or the different SOP and writing sample lengths you have to adjust for.

I would definitely advise spacing this out, rather than trying to put all the info in the night before. Not because it's impossible to do it that way, but because it's so tedious that no one deserves to do all that at once. I would also advise, if you haven't already, that you write down the different log-in combinations and websites for each school. Chances are you'll be revisiting them an unseemly number of times in the next weeks, and you'll start to forget which school is associated with which website/password/email/login, etc. And then when admissions decisions start rolling in, you'll want to check your application status every 3 minutes, and the very last thing you'll want will be to be locked out.

It takes more time than you'd expect to just enter all the information, even if you have everything ready. Especially if you're applying to 10+ schools, and especially if you're neurotic about triple-checking everything (it paid off for me - on one application, I accidentally uploaded the wrong SOP before submitting it, and only caught the mistake at the last second because I decided to one last check. I didn't get in to that school anyway, but I think it would have been more certain if my SOP was talking about an entirely different school and an entirely different POI). This isn't even taking into account the weird, unexpected questions some applications might ask -- or the different SOP and writing sample lengths you have to adjust for.

I would definitely advise spacing this out, rather than trying to put all the info in the night before. Not because it's impossible to do it that way, but because it's so tedious that no one deserves to do all that at once. I would also advise, if you haven't already, that you write down the different log-in combinations and websites for each school. Chances are you'll be revisiting them an unseemly number of times in the next weeks, and you'll start to forget which school is associated with which website/password/email/login, etc. And then when admissions decisions start rolling in, you'll want to check your application status every 3 minutes, and the very last thing you'll want will be to be locked out.

Good advice! I can't imagine cramming all the information onto an application a day before it's due, and I will definitely be triple checking my applications now that you mention it. You are bringing up memories of a post from a while back about someone who sent UC-Berkeley the wrong SOP.

Yep, definitely a triple check.

I already have two excel spreadsheets-- one listing my master's programs and the other has graduate programs. Each school has a space for me to write the date the application is due, POIs, and most importantly, the login name and password. I have friend apply a year earlier who literally forgot a password for an application. I tried to combat that with my excel organization tactics.

I already have two excel spreadsheets-- one listing my master's programs and the other has graduate programs. Each school has a space for me to write the date the application is due, POIs, and most importantly, the login name and password. I have friend apply a year earlier who literally forgot a password for an application. I tried to combat that with my excel organization tactics.

I'm stealing this idea, thanks! Not sure about passwords though, since all the info needed to steal your identity is entered on these forms. Maybe password protect the document?

I've got it on a sticky note on my desktop. Probably not the best idea, but certainly the easiest.

Right now, instead of concentrating on the applications like I probably should (I just have SOPs left which is torture), I'm focusing on my volunteering application for the National Library of Wales. Then it's the SOPs.

I'm stealing this idea, thanks! Not sure about passwords though, since all the info needed to steal your identity is entered on these forms. Maybe password protect the document?

My computer has a fingerprint access protection for documents. (; But definitely password protection for these files since you have usernames and passwords on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've asked this question before but I can't find where I've asked it/what the answer was. So I'll ask again.

Writing sample - 20 page limit - does this include my bibliography? I've got a paper that is writing-sample worthy that's 20 pages but 24 if you include the bibliography. Is that acceptable? Or should I shorten it (or slightly shrink the font of the source list) to make it 20 pages complete?

Spending this glorious day inside writing statements of purpose. Woohoo! And many thanks to helping with my idiotic questions.

I know I've asked this question before but I can't find where I've asked it/what the answer was. So I'll ask again.

Writing sample - 20 page limit - does this include my bibliography? I've got a paper that is writing-sample worthy that's 20 pages but 24 if you include the bibliography. Is that acceptable? Or should I shorten it (or slightly shrink the font of the source list) to make it 20 pages complete?

Spending this glorious day inside writing statements of purpose. Woohoo! And many thanks to helping with my idiotic questions.

I would assume anything beyond 20 pages wouldn't be read. But maybe someone who's already gone through the process can give a more concrete answer?

...And if it is an online application that requires you to upload the essay, assume that anything over 20 pages may very well be automatically cut off. (It might not--but you don't want to bank on that);

No bib. That's what footnotes are for. They're only going to read the text and footnotes. And you can always preview the document once you've uploaded it.

Ughhh... I'm already feeling sick from this process. Has anyone else already had physical effects (more than just tired) from this process yet?

I always pictured myself applying to lots of programs with undaunted confidence to see whether or not I get in... that is so not the case anymore. The prospect of being denied is intimidating!! I wish I could email a professor and ask "will you accept me?" She/he says 'Yes' or 'No.' That's it--no mess, fuss.

That is the dream as of this moment.

At this point I'm going through my statement of purpose. I have my writing sample. I have contacted all professors who have committed to writing recommendations -- they've all gotten back to me. I've contacted an historian who I did research for and she's also assured me she'll write me a recommendation. I've also got my GRE test date set up. Planning on acing the verbal and writing, yet super annoyed about the thought of doing math for the first time in over 6 years.

Right now I'm shooting off my emails to professors to see if they're available in the Fall 2013 semester.

Honestly, what's getting me through this is just sucking it up, applying to schools regardless of that nagging voice in the back of my mind telling me I'm "not good enough," and talking to friends who have already gone through this process.

@ LadyRara - I will probably develop some type of sickness down the road because stress does that to me - but for now, I think my brain is telling my body..."there is absolutely NO time for you to get sick!"

I've contacted all prospective POIs and have gotten a decent response from most, and I have my letter writer's ready, my writing sample could use some attending to, but at the moment I'm thinking through my SOP/Research proposal. It seems that the UK programs are research proposal heavy and SOP light. I retake the GRE to see if I can improve my verbal score in the beginning of November, but I also take my comprehensive exams in early December.

I'm thinking this process would be a lot easier if I didn't have to study for comp exams, TA, AND take two other classes at the same time. However, this forum tends to prove otherwise :-)

I'm really looking forward to next semester when I can just teach and work on my MA thesis. Phew.

@Salexa -

LOVE the attitude. We can't lose if we don't try right?

I was planning on applying for the 2011 and 2012 application cycles but "real life" got in the way. This year, it's this or it's this. :P

This all being said, I'm in the process of assembling a safety list with a former advisor. :P

My goal is to have everything but recommendation letters done by the end of this month. Call me absolutely insane, but I have to give myself a deadline. And the December 15th one is just not cutting it for me. I hate writing SOPs so much that if I don't press myself for time (but then use the extra time to review if I need to) I won't do the best job I can.

As a note for the length of the writing sample - I always want to include the bibliography if I can. (If it's over, totally understand leaving it out.) I research way more than I footnote. I've been told I over-footnote so I've cut back on that which means I don't cite sources as frequently. So, normally a paper of mine might only footnote 10 sources but I've read, understood and helped me come to my conclusion a number of sources that's 4 or 5 times that. I want to show I can research and I don't think my footnotes alone can prove that.

And another question. :P I'm going to start volunteering at the National Library of Wales soon. However it's a trial thing - I volunteer for a month or two and then they tell me if they like me enough to let me keep volunteering. Do I put this on my CV regardless? Just not use a person as a reference?

Do what you are going to do, but there is very little chance anyone is going to look at your bibliography. You have to remember that adcoms and professors are going through these applications in a very short period of time and they have hundreds of applications to read. The chance that they are going to read your entire text is very low.

hey everyone, i'm officially checking in for the season! hope you all are still fairly sane.

my question is, after reading this forum i feel like i should be WAY more nervous about the whole situation than i so i gotta ask...is anyone else relatively calm and not feeling totally swamped with applications? is this bound to change for me?

Three things to help you stay calm:

1) Check your ego out.

2) It's not about you.

3) Recruit at least one really, really good friend whom you can vent to. And don't vent to anyone else- that'll only make the anxiety worse.

Edited by TMP

Stevie,

Right now you can still DO things about your application. The bad time is between the deadline and when you hear back from schools. People really go crazy during that period when their fate isn't in their own hands.

Stevie,

Right now you can still DO things about your application. The bad time is between the deadline and when you hear back from schools. People really go crazy during that period when their fate isn't in their own hands.

Truth. I was pretty calm about my application before the deadlines (though I won't deny that by the end of the process I was a bit frazzled). When the rejections roll in, that's when the nerves will activate. Right now, all the possibilities remain open. It's a really beautiful time, actually.