Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and haven't read though the entire thread, but I have a question. I've written a few POI's and received positive responses, however, one POI's response was pretty disconcerting. Instead of answering the question I originally asked, I was given a warning about the state of academia. Um, has anyone here recieved a response like this? I am not naive and I am aware of the job market crisis, but....Anyway, please be kind with your responses. I don't think I can take another lecture.

Shep,

Many in academia believe that they have a duty to warn off any and all people looking at grad school. I wouldn't take it personally. If you hang around grad cafe long enough you'll run into the kinds of people who really need to be hit in the head several times with that kind of information. And some who already knew it.

It's ok to contact two POI at the same school, right? There are a couple schools I'm looking at who have multiple people I'd be thrilled to work with - there's nothing wrong with sending both of them individualized (obviously) e-mails, right?

It's okay to contact them now yes, but don't expect quick replies. Every professor you write will know why you are writing and some will put off thinking about it much until October.

I don't think I can take another lecture.

Unfortunately, get used to it until you're accepted into a program. Professors feel its their duty to make sure that people are entering with eyes very, VERY wide open. The least you can do is smile, be pleasant, say thank you for their thought, and be persistent. :) And bonus points if you can name your Plan B, erm, awareness of other things you can do with the PhD.

Many in academia believe that they have a duty to warn off any and all people looking at grad school.

Unfortunately, get used to it until you're accepted into a program. Professors feel its their duty to make sure that people are entering with eyes very, VERY wide open.

Indeed, they may have even thought that they were doing you a kind service!

And as for smiling and thanking them, I agree 100%. I've gotten some very rude replies from professors and when I sincerely apologised for what they perceived was an egregious error, they became immediately much nicer afterwards. I guess professors, like the rest of us, have things that make their eyebrows twitch too.

Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. I have my MA (2009) and this is my second time applying for a PhD. (Second time is the charm right?) My interests are US history and more specifically Business History and the History of Capitalism.

What are some of your guys' interests?

Hello everyone!

I posted a thread on here already regarding my troubles, but I've just finished reading through this whole thread (what a beast) and wanted to pop my head in.

So, I'm applying for PhD programs this coming fall for 2013. I'm considering MA programs as well, but I have questions about how wise that course of action would be.

My field is early modern / late medieval German history. Specifically, I want to study the political history of the late Holy Roman Empire and Prussian states, specifically with regards to their political institutions and governments. I'm also very interested in military history but have been told that this isn't a great specialization these days... but I think I would like it as a subfield.

I'm having a lot of trouble, honestly. I wasn't in this research area in undergrad, so I have no idea who the big names in German history are. In fact, I've been looking at all the universities I can think of that I might want to attend (I know I'm doing this backward) and I can't find anyone who would be a perfect match, big name or no. Obviously I want to go to the best department and work with the best scholars that I can, but at this point I'd settle for finding a department with multiple German historians and maybe a political historian. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Some info about me: graduated in 2010 with my BA  summa cum laude and with solid GRE scores (690V, 720Q, 5.5AW). My undergrad honors thesis was an examination of Germany's portrayal in Texas high school history books from 1880-present, and my department thesis was on the exceptionalism of the German colony at Qingdao.

Taus,

I would really seriously suggest you consider a masters in European history somewhere either in the states or in Europe. That will give you time to develope a sense of the field and will make your PhD application stronger. You are well outside of my field so I can't make specific suggestions, but a good place to start is find a recent book written in your field that you like. Look at where that person is, and look at who they cite. Look at journals and try to see what universities are producing work you like, even if the paper is written by a graduate student they have to have advisers.

How is your german?

I would recommend Jaraush (sp?) but he's close to retiring and is a little more modern than that.

I've been told before that the greatest German professors are all from around the same age and so are retiring all around the same time. I don't know how true this is but... something to investigate.

Jaraush (sp?) and a few others of the greats are at UNC-Chapel Hill. They have an amazing Germanic Studies department so I'd take a gander over there first.

Good luck!

You might want to consider finding two scholars- one in the period you're interested in in European history (doesn't matter where) and another person doing German history (modern or not). The combined expertise will be enough. But yes, it is important that you look through books that inspired you to ask those kind of questions that you have.

Taus,

I would really seriously suggest you consider a masters in European history somewhere either in the states or in Europe. That will give you time to develope a sense of the field and will make your PhD application stronger. You are well outside of my field so I can't make specific suggestions, but a good place to start is find a recent book written in your field that you like. Look at where that person is, and look at who they cite. Look at journals and try to see what universities are producing work you like, even if the paper is written by a graduate student they have to have advisers.

How is your german?

I've been considering a Masters, but I'm concerned about the "prestige" of any program. It's difficult to find funded Masters degrees, and although there are several state schools in my area (I live in Dallas) that offer history Masters, it seems like they have very poor faculty fit with my interests, even taken rather broadly. I'd hate to have to move across the country to get a Masters, ya know?

My German is pretty good. I am not native fluent but I'm fairly proficient, though badly out of practice currently. My reading is a bit weaker, but I have done primary source research using German sources (specifically Chlodwig von Hohenlohe-Schillingsfuerst's and Wilhelm II's memoirs).

I would recommend Jaraush (sp?) but he's close to retiring and is a little more modern than that.

I've been told before that the greatest German professors are all from around the same age and so are retiring all around the same time. I don't know how true this is but... something to investigate.

Jaraush (sp?) and a few others of the greats are at UNC-Chapel Hill. They have an amazing Germanic Studies department so I'd take a gander over there first.

Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendation! I've also been told by some of my professors that all of the German historians they know of are retiring. Kind of strange, but in a way it seems like it might create an opportunity for rising German historians, though I'm probably behind that trend by now :P

You might want to consider finding two scholars- one in the period you're interested in in European history (doesn't matter where) and another person doing German history (modern or not). The combined expertise will be enough. But yes, it is important that you look through books that inspired you to ask those kind of questions that you have.

That's what I've started looking for, and it's been helping. The program at UMN-Twin Cities looks promising, as they had several historians of medieval and/or early modern history, and even one (Gary Cohen) who has done very similar research to what I want to do, except focusing on Imperial Austria rather than Imperial Germany. The problem there is that he's probably nearing retirement, since he got his PhD in 1975.

Edited by JTausTX

I wouldn't entirely rule out an unfunded or partially funded masters degree. I know taking on more debt isn't something anyone wants to do, but you are more likely to get into a higher prestigue PhD program these days out of a masters.

And I can't really speak against moving across the country for ones masters. I did. It is what it is. But I was going for a masters in a very specific subject area.

I've been considering a Masters, but I'm concerned about the "prestige" of any program. It's difficult to find funded Masters degrees, and although there are several state schools in my area (I live in Dallas) that offer history Masters, it seems like they have very poor faculty fit with my interests, even taken rather broadly. I'd hate to have to move across the country to get a Masters, ya know?

If you're concerned about funding, you could also look at fellowships that would fund a master's (or at least graduate study) in Germany, such as a DAAD or Fulbright. Not every program is worth a big move, but many are-- and I'd say that includes anything funded. Keep in mind, also, that as a history PhD student you'll have to do a lot of traveling for weeks or months at a time in order to access archives, learn languages, and otherwise do research. If you're balking at the idea of moving for one or two years, it might be an indication that a PhD isn't the best idea for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started filling out my first application. I've got to email the university and ask them about the dual degree application. There isn't a separate one for dual degrees so it looks like I have to fill out the application twice - and pay the application fee twice.

I'm starting to get emotionally drained from all of the preparations for graduate school. It's in part because I'm also getting ready to move abroad for my last year of undergrad abroad. Ugh.

But... in good news - I talked with a former professor from one of my top schools and she said that I sound super competitive and that I am highly likely to be in the top 10-12 that receives funding. So, woohoo for that! I just have to make sure that my SOP shows all the experience that makes me competitive.

Annieca,

As a rule of thumb, I tell people that done properly a PhD application cycle takes as much time as a masters level graduate class. Being overwelmed isn't anything to do with you, that's the way the system is designed.

Oh, and as an alumni of one of the two schools, looking at yoru tag. If you aren't applying to both the University of North Carolina, and NC State... than "North Carolina" is UNC. You are likely to be mauled by tarheels and wolf pack members for the slash mark. Though not nearly as much as forgetting the "The" in "The Ohio State University"

Oi to the vey!

Took my last GRE practice test today. I took my last two using PowerPrep because I figured I might as well be using something as close to the real thing as possible. Good news - my Math score has, from the beginning, gone up 9 points. The bad - my Verbal is stuck between 151-154 range which isn't even close to where I thought I would be/where I need to be.

I'm taking the test on the 6th so a week from yesterday. I'm tempted to just lay off all studying until then but I also don't want to waste time I could use to help my verbal since cut off for many of my schools for verbal is 154. Any ideas?

Oi to the vey!

Took my last GRE practice test today. I took my last two using PowerPrep because I figured I might as well be using something as close to the real thing as possible. Good news - my Math score has, from the beginning, gone up 9 points. The bad - my Verbal is stuck between 151-154 range which isn't even close to where I thought I would be/where I need to be.

I'm taking the test on the 6th so a week from yesterday. I'm tempted to just lay off all studying until then but I also don't want to waste time I could use to help my verbal since cut off for many of my schools for verbal is 154. Any ideas?

I would just focus on low-stress vocab review. Don't try to learn any new words, but go over the ones you sort of know but don't know cold thoroughly. Also remember that it's impossible to really replicate the actual testing environment. You'll be nervous, but you'll also be more focused, and adrenaline will help. Good luck!

I agree. Just relax for the next few days. Just review what you have ALREADY done. Don't do anything new- you've done all you can. One of the things you have to learn in graduate school is setting limits for yourself and recognize when "done is good" and if attempted to do more, there will be diminishing returns.

I haven't been on for a while. I wanted to thank everyone that answered my post about POI warnings on the academic market. I am meeting with a POI at the end of the month to discuss the program and the application process. I'm wondering what to expect from this. I realize that most applicants go through the interview process once invited, but this is happening before applying. Anyone experienced anything like this and have any advice they would like to share? I'm currently studying/taking a course for the GRE and putting together the framework for my SOP.

Edited by Shep

Hi all,

It's been so long since I've been on here that I nearly forgot my username! I am still plugging along with applications, and I'm at a point where I have a number of questions that I hope some of you may be able to help me with:

1. My SOP is more of a struggle than I anticipated - I'm finding it difficult to define my interests specifically when I don't really have a good sense of how specifically they actually need to be defined, both at this point and later on in grad school. In my essay, I've currently tiered my interests like this:

- Broadest area of interest (modern European intellectual history, post-1750)

- More specific area of concentration (late 18th century to mid 19th century)

- Even more specific potential focus areas, within the late 18th and mid 19th century, asking historical questions about them

This is to say that I would like to read broadly in post-1750 intellectual history, but I recognize the need for a smaller area of concentration. However, personally, I would be more interested in pursuing more disparate focus areas within my broadest area of interest - for example, early 19th century British liberalism AND 1930s German social theory. Does it make any sense to say this or should I stick to my current schema because this is crazily unfocused?

2. When it comes to international or intraregional history as an approach, what is the position of adcoms on languages? For example, I imagine you would not have to know every Polynesian dialect to do Pacific History, or everything from Swahili to Bengali to study British imperial history, but that European languages alone might not suffice?

3. How long should I be waiting for professors' emails? I guess it's a busy time of year with classes starting, but I've had a recommender drop off the radar in the midst of a positive exchange.

4. I've seen it written elsewhere on here that someone with a PhD is a preferable recommender. I went to law school after undergrad and I think it makes sense for a law professor to write a recommendation so that it doesn't seem like I'm falling back on my undergrad record. Would it be okay to include him as a third recommender or should I find someone else in addition?

5. Finally, I know this has probably already been addressed somewhere and this is hardly the place, but can anyone recommend a source for revised GRE practice tests? So far I have the PowerPrep software but I hear of people taking 20+ tests and I want to know where I can find these.

Thanks!!

Edited by czesc

1. My SOP is more of a struggle than I anticipated - I'm finding it difficult to define my interests specifically when I don't really have a good sense of how specifically they actually need to be defined, both at this point and later on in grad school. In my essay, I've currently tiered my interests like this:

- Broadest area of interest (modern European intellectual history, post-1750)

- More specific area of concentration (late 18th century to mid 19th century)

- Even more specific potential focus areas, within the late 18th and mid 19th century, asking historical questions about them

This is to say that I would like to read broadly in post-1750 intellectual history, but I recognize the need for a smaller area of concentration. However, personally, I would be more interested in pursuing more disparate focus areas within my broadest area of interest - for example, early 19th century British liberalism AND 1930s German social theory. Does it make any sense to say this or should I stick to my current schema because this is crazily unfocused?

2. When it comes to international or intraregional history as an approach, what is the position of adcoms on languages? For example, I imagine you would not have to know every Polynesian dialect to do Pacific History, or everything from Swahili to Bengali to study British imperial history, but that European languages alone might not suffice?

3. How long should I be waiting for professors' emails? I guess it's a busy time of year with classes starting, but I've had a recommender drop off the radar in the midst of a positive exchange.

4. I've seen it written elsewhere on here that someone with a PhD is a preferable recommender. I went to law school after undergrad and I think it makes sense for a law professor to write a recommendation so that it doesn't seem like I'm falling back on my undergrad record. Would it be okay to include him as a third recommender or should I find someone else in addition?

5. Finally, I know this has probably already been addressed somewhere and this is hardly the place, but can anyone recommend a source for revised GRE practice tests? So far I have the PowerPrep software but I hear of people taking 20+ tests and I want to know where I can find these.

Thanks!!

As for your SOP, click on the link below my signature- I've given some guidelines to help you think through about your interests. You do want to show that you can think broadly and demonstrate how your narrow interests fit to the larger questions in European intellectual history. It is also perfectly fine to do transnational work- it's being encouraged (slowly but surely) as long as you have most of the languages under your belt. So if you're coming in intending to study Southeast Asian colonial history, you'd certainly do well to know English (duh) and French and you'll have to suggest how you'll learn the local languages (i.e. Thai, Hindi, Malay, etc).

One of the constant challenges in graduate school is thinking critically how each area of history connect with each other. You'll need to make a strong case for a relationship between 1930s German social theory and early 19th century British liberalism. How does the thread run through these areas? You have to go into this assuming that professors see things black and white.

As for emails to professors, give them about 2 weeks. If nothing, you can decide how important it is to be in touch with them. Try again a little while later if you really do have questions. If nothing, then don't take it personally. You'd be surprised how many of them will get in touch with you weeks later when they get around to cleaning up their inboxes! :)