Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

I'm so swamped with classes and teaching that I haven't had much time to worry (just) about apps. But I think that it might be this dull pain in my chest - a little reminder that it's there and waiting to pounce when the time is right. :P

Oh and welcome Stevie and Viggo!

Truth. I was pretty calm about my application before the deadlines (though I won't deny that by the end of the process I was a bit frazzled). When the rejections roll in, that's when the nerves will activate. Right now, all the possibilities remain open. It's a really beautiful time, actually.

i suppose what you all are saying is true, and i am definitely existing in a wonderful, naive time of infinite possibilities still.

i also want to shout out to gradcafe member natsteel and his excellent graduate school timeline and guide, linked here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/55484840/Applying-to-Graduate-School-A-Guide-and-Timeline

which has definitely helped me through this process thus far.

i suppose what you all are saying is true, and i am definitely existing in a wonderful, naive time of infinite possibilities still.

i also want to shout out to gradcafe member natsteel and his excellent graduate school timeline and guide, linked here:

http://www.scribd.co...de-and-Timeline

Thanks so much for this link, vstevie! This puts all the most important (and helpful) information in one place.

Oh Maryland, why must you be so different from all the other schools?

I'm submitting my first application this weekend. I don't care what people say about it being too early, etc. I'm ready and I know that if I stare at my SOP one more time bad things will happen.

The fun part about this first application (other than handing over $75) is that they want both an SOP and an essay. The essay prompt is actually covered in my SOP. Except the essay is suppose to be 500 words, the SOP 1,000. I am almost considering just cutting my SOP down to size since I'm pretty sure my SOP goes to the History department and the essay to the College of Library and Information Science.

Ugh. I've got 5 more of these to go and I already feel wiped out. Perhaps it's the nasty Welsh weather.

Hope all are fairing well in their pursuits of finishing (or starting) applications.

The cost of admission fees are deterring me from dream schools. Anyone else this is happening to? The thought of losing $80 is too painful!! How it all seemed to easy last year, when I was only reading gradcafe and not an active participant in the misery!

I think the University of Houston, the University of Pennsylvania. Houston and Penn are the ones I'm pumped for. Then early next year, I'm applying to the university of Stirling.

I'm liking my SOP, kinda, so that's good news!

I'm waiting to get feedback on my SOP (rereading the one I wrote for my MA, which happened to be the same department as my undergrad major, was a little...disappointing) then I'm going to start applying. And yeah, the cost is definitely prohibiting me from applying to a few places I would if money weren't an issue, but you really really shouldn't let $80 dissuade you from applying to a dream school if you have a reasonable shot of getting in. Don't wanna be living with "what if..." syndrome for a whole year!

If you are going to starve, don't do it, but otherwise you have to bite the bullet. I calculated between transcripts, gre scores and fees I paid out $1500 for the process. That I totally didn't have. But the adcoms know better than you do where you fit and I and a number of my friends are currently sitting in programs that we didn't think we really had a chance in october during our cycle.

I think Stanford I didn't apply to because of cost. But I should have. It was a mistake.

The cost of admission fees are deterring me from dream schools. Anyone else this is happening to? The thought of losing $80 is too painful!! How it all seemed to easy last year, when I was only reading gradcafe and not an active participant in the misery!

I think the University of Houston, the University of Pennsylvania. Houston and Penn are the ones I'm pumped for. Then early next year, I'm applying to the university of Stirling.

I'm liking my SOP, kinda, so that's good news!

Hi LadyRara,

The application fees are daunting! Especially on a TA's pay...I currently attend UH, so let me know if you have questions about any of the people in the department (or anything else!). Wasn't sure what kind of history you study, but I do European (Germany). Happy to help however I might be able! :)

The highest of my schools is Princeton with $90, lowest is UMichigan at $65 (but I'm applying to two programs there so I need to play the fee twice. -_-)

I think I get more annoyed at ETS' fees for the GRE than application fees. Even though I didn't need to take the test again (thank god my scores are still valid) still had to shell out to send score reports.

IIRC when I was going through this I had a couple of schools at the $50-60 range, most places at $90, SUNY Stony Brook at $100 and Stanford at $125. I think my favorite absurdity from that period of my life was my undergraduate, which I was applying to grad school after having gotten a masters somewhere else. They claimed that they wouldn't charge me to send a transcript to themselves, but gave no mechanism to do that. At all.

In fact, my undergraduate still makes me request transcripts by filling out a paper form and sending it to them in the mail.

Not even taking a picture of/scanning the paper and e-mailing it to them??? My undergrad was the same until I suppose enough of us demanding that we scan our requests and e-mail them that they gave up. They still don't have an online request system yet.

In fact, my undergraduate still makes me request transcripts by filling out a paper form and sending it to them in the mail.

My undergrad needs the form either by fax, mail or in person. Since I am clearly not paying the pound 1.28 per school for transcript request forms to them, I'm having my mom fill out the form, send them to undergrad and then get to send them to the grad schools. Is this ridiculous (or just me?) to ask for a fillable PDF form and email so that I can save the cost (and time) of stamps?

Also - TMP - I'm filling out the Maryland application now and I want to shoot someone. It's incredibly annoying since it's nothing like any of the others.

http://www.scribd.co...de-and-Timeline

Thanks, vt and viggo for the kind words about the guide I put together last year. Ever since writing it, I've been asked to give seminars on the topic at CUNY, at which I give out the guide at the end. It's basically everything I learned about the process (a lot of it from my fellow members of GradCafe). It took a little bit of time to put together, but I'm glad someone is finding it and finding it useful.

As for the application fees, don't forget that many school (though not CUNY and not, IIRC, Stanford) offer fee waivers. However, most don't publicize this fact for obvious reasons. It often takes real digging through their website to find it. To get them, you are usually required to submit either a letter from your financial aid office (verifying your Pell Grant eligibility) or your previous year's tax return. IIRC, I got waivers at about 5 of the 11 schools to which I applied, including the one to which I eventually ended up attending (if I was a psychic, I could've saved around $700 in application fees).

Question about reporting my GPA: If an application asks for your 'graduate GPA,' should I report classes taken for credit towards my undergraduate degree but that are listed on my transcript as graduate level classes?