Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

I had to submit a 20 page writing sample and they wanted to see instructor comments, so I couldn't edit it. My paper was over 20 pages, but I asked the graduate administrator, and it was fine. Just check with the university to see how lenient they are with 'overages'.

Took my second practice test today for the GRE. The first time was just cold to see where I needed to work on, the second after a month of on-and off studying with the last two weeks being more concentrated on studying.

My verbal score actually went *down* two points and my math stayed the same. So here I am, sitting with a 64th percentile verbal and a 22-32nd percentile math. It makes me want to scream and cry at the same time. I know I can do better than this but my brain seems to say that the GRE isn't conquerable. I know for acceptance I could probably get in with my scores now but I can't do grad school without funding and I think it's a little low.

So, I suppose my thinking is, "Do I try and just improve verbal or do both?" Any thoughts?

Verbal. I hardly studied for the math portion. But it is true that you do need good scores on both in order to get university-level funding which is more difficult to get than departmental level.

If you are pressed for time, then definitely focus on verbal.

But, you should know that it is possible to get your math score up significantly by spending a little bit on time on a few key concepts. The way that the math section is designed, a small number important topics account for a large portion of the questions. So, if you can get those under your belt, your score will go up.

I think Kaplan has a cheat sheet or some such which divides math topics into basic, intermediate, and advanced. Forget about the advanced because they only account for a few questions on the test. But, intermediate topics cover a lot of questions, and they are easier to pick up. And, you'll be surprised how many of these are based on simple "tricks" - if you only know the trick, you can get the question.

Something else that really helped me was practice tests which break down math questions into topics (i.e. circle questions, triangle questions, arithmetic, geometry, etc). Take those practice tests and see which topics you're having a problem with. Then, focus on those topics only. Good luck! :)

Took my second practice test today for the GRE. The first time was just cold to see where I needed to work on, the second after a month of on-and off studying with the last two weeks being more concentrated on studying.

My verbal score actually went *down* two points and my math stayed the same. So here I am, sitting with a 64th percentile verbal and a 22-32nd percentile math. It makes me want to scream and cry at the same time. I know I can do better than this but my brain seems to say that the GRE isn't conquerable. I know for acceptance I could probably get in with my scores now but I can't do grad school without funding and I think it's a little low.

So, I suppose my thinking is, "Do I try and just improve verbal or do both?" Any thoughts?

What practice tests are you using? I'm asking because last summer, when studying for the (old version of the) GRE, I experienced a large amount of variability between practice tests. One book's practice tests in particular were consistently giving me poor verbal scores, and when I looked up reviews of the book, I found that I wasn't alone. For me, the most accurate practice tests were the ones in the official ETS book of previous tests - though I suspect that since the test has changed, they won't have anything available like that.

You might consider taking more frequent practice tests. I found actually taking self-timed tests to be far more useful than most of the other study techniques I tried. Taking an enormous number of practice tests also allowed me to hone in more accurately on what I needed to improve, what to expect and my overall progress. I probably took upwards of 25-35 practice verbal tests, and ended up with a near-perfect score (780/800 on the old system, equivalent to 99%) despite the fact that my first (Kaplan online) practice test near the beginning of the summer pegged me below the 50th percentile. Almost all of those subsequent tests were on paper, but I found that the experience wasn't significantly different in the actual test - even with the computer-adaptive questioning.

Remember that the GRE is a test that you can effectively study for, so don't despair even if your scores haven't shown improvement yet. I would also echo the sentiment that you shouldn't totally give up on the math section - but only because it is relatively easy to study for. Compared to the verbal, a little effort spent wisely goes a long way on the math section.

This may have been answered but my internet is kinda screwy so I'm just gonna ask while it's letting me!

I'm applying for PHD programs this coming fall and took the GRE when I applied for my MA in 2008. Are those scores still valid or should I be planning to retake the test?

This may have been answered but my internet is kinda screwy so I'm just gonna ask while it's letting me!

I'm applying for PHD programs this coming fall and took the GRE when I applied for my MA in 2008. Are those scores still valid or should I be planning to retake the test?

ETS has something called a "testing year" that begins on 1 July. Scores are valid for five "testing years."

The ETS website has answers to tons of these sorts of questions: http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/faq/

On the topic of the GRE, will it kill my applications if I didn't do particularly well on most of it? I just got my results back. While I did very well (above 90th percentile) on Verbal, I bombed the Math and Writing sections. (Both under 50th percentile) How much do these scores hurt my overall application? Should I take the test again?

hey everyone, i've attempted to contact two professors by e-mail, but unfortunately have not received any replies to date. is it because they are not looking at their message box at this time of the year? should i send the same messages in september again?

Hi everyone! Also joining the fellow applicants for Fall 2013. I decided to go straight from the BA to the PhD in American History (late 20th century, to be specific). I just narrowed my school choices, and I am taking the GRE in two weeks. I do have a question relating to the writing sample. Since my school does not let students enroll into the senior thesis until the last semester as undergrads, I only have a 17 page paper on Puerto Rican press and the Civil Rights movement, very strong in primary sources. Should I expand it a bit?

Good luck to everyone!

rosadel, not to put a damper on your plans, you may want to consider delaying your applications to Fall 2014 if you must wait until the final semester to actually write your senior thesis. Your writing sample will be the top three most important factors in determining admissions (at least make it to the final round) and one cannot afford to mess this one up. It is one piece that you have total control over in terms of quality (the other being your statement of purpose). Further, you will give your thesis adviser a wonderful opportunity to get to know you as a potential future scholar and as a person- which will make for a much stronger LOR.

Your senior thesis writing experience will be much closer to what you will encounter every semester in graduate school. Your professor will also really teach you the craft- of researching and writing. What you learned in your required historical methods (or something like that) class is only on the very surface. Though I did my senior thesis in the fall semester of my senior year, I didn't really learn the craft until the spring semester when my adviser took me under her wing and taught me as much as she could about crafting a strong research paper. Though I didn't use it for a future writing sample (other than to get into MA programs), but it set me up quite nicely for my MA thesis writing experience (my MA adviser was very much... hands off during the actual writing process). I had much success- I ultimately used a chapter of my MA thesis for writing sample for the PhD programs.

Also, consider this, when you say "late 20th century," what time period are you talking about exactly? Be aware that there are still a number of historians who are reluctant to touch anything after 1980, especially after 1989. You'll have to test out your ideas to several professors in PhD programs and see how they feel about working with you in the period you're interested in. One of my mentors refuses to look at anything after 1950s because, as he said jokingly, "It's my childhood!"

Think about it. Also, I won't be the only one saying this but... really, really enjoy your senior year to its fullest. Though I had a wonderful senior year, sometimes I wonder if it would've been a bit less stressful if I didn't apply to graduate schools. Then again, my thesis was FAR more stressful than the waiting period! :)

@Simple Twist of Fate - I've been using Princeton Review's 2012 book. I also used the GRE for Dummies book for one verbal practice test and scored really high. But I definitely feel Princeton Review's tests are harder.

I know its definitely freaking me out a bit because my top program has a minimum GRE of 154 for Verbal and that's what I've been getting.

As for the writing sample question - I don't know anyone who went straight from undergrad to grad using their thesis as a sample. For one thing, its long. Mine will be between 35-50 pages and my applications want 20ish. Secondly, I think schools want to see your research so if its extremely well-researched it should be on the same (if not better) caliber of your thesis.

Hi all!

After lurking for quite a while I suppose it's finally time to post.

I'm just starting my applications to PhD and MA programs in US history (with an emphasis on US foreign policy/American exceptionalism/the place of the US within the world [very broad right now... hope that makes sense...]).

I graduated with a BA in history magna cum laude from UConn in May 2011. I've been looking at programs for quite a while, and I'm finally ready to apply. Any advice / support is greatly appreciated. I'm really glad I found this board.

:)

It's ok to contact two POI at the same school, right? There are a couple schools I'm looking at who have multiple people I'd be thrilled to work with - there's nothing wrong with sending both of them individualized (obviously) e-mails, right?

this is generalized via a fellow grad cafe member's guide to grad applications, but my initial email's have basically been:

Dr. X

My name is Y Yman, a recent graduate from University of State's history MA program. I will be applying to Name University this year and am wondering if you will be taking on new students? My research interests are blah blah blah broadly, with shoe factories in rural Saskatchewan during World War I being the topic of my thesis. Your work, especially Shoe Factories and the Women Who Love Them, was fascinating and immensely important to my research.

Thank you for your time,

Y Yman.

No. Don't unless they ask for it. Chances are greater that your e-mail with attachment may go to the spam folder because their e-mails don't "know" your e-mail yet. Also, it's kind of obnoxious.

question as I think about contacting POI-- should I attach my CV to the email?

I don't think so, no. I'm not sure what the POI would gain by looking at your CV at this stage. I would also consider waiting to contact POIs for about a month. The mid-late August period is usually an especially busy time for profs, which decreases your chances of receiving a helpful response. In addition, if you're hoping to make an impression or begin a conversation (which I think should be your secondary goal in contacting POIs, after gaining information about their willingness to take new students, etc) it's better for that to come just a little bit closer to application season, so there's a chance they'll remember you.

Of course, if you're planning to make a bad impression, the more time for them to forget, the better. :)

For some strange reason, a number of the POI I'd like to contact are on leave next semester. I'm thinking waiting a few weeks won't make a difference, assuming that they're going to have a busy, slightly different schedule for the rest of the application season anyway. On the upside, I know they won't be on leave in 2013.

Thanks for the replies-- I was told to always attach my CV while approaching potential affiliates for my Fulbright application, and this process seems similar, although maybe slightly less formal.

I'd say that you should (or at least that it isn't as bad as others say). Both my parents are professors (one a historian) and both told me to attach a CV to my e-mails (it also didn't seem to do my applications any harm, though I'm guessing it probably didn't help too much). Anyway, the idea is that it provides them with more info about you if they want it, but without being as intrusive as putting that info into the body of the e-mail (they don't have to open the CV if they don't want to). But who knows, maybe some are put off by it.

I'll be doing a campus visit for my dream POI in a few weeks. The center has made an intinerary for me with meetings with an MLIS professor and that dream POI as well as a campus tour (I imagine) and a few other things. I'm super stoked to talk to someone whose research interests mirror mine but I've come across a problem.

The school barely has any funding for students unless it's a FLAS grant or the Romanian grant. I can't get a FLAS because my Czech/Romanian is non-existent which leaves the Romanian grant.

I'm interested in Romania but I know almost nothing about it. Right now I'm researching for a senior thesis on Czechoslovakia so I know way more about it and East Germany than I do Romania. However, I know making a good impression on this professor is important since he's on the application committee for the Romanian grant.

Question is (and hopefully an easy one), how do I prepare to meet this professor and prove I'm really interested in Romanian history or comparative East European history with a focus on Romania if I know very little about it?

annieca, I think you have less to worry about than it may seem like right now! I was put in a similar position at an interview this spring. I prepared by sketching out my interests as broad themes (I actually brainstormed and wrote them down) and identified areas where the new direction the interview concerned connected to these themes.

I then picked up a couple books and read them looking for connections to my current areas of expertise. It's a good chance to practice skimming a text for the information you need.

Don't worry about knowing everything about Romania. You're going to school to learn, so if you knew everything already then this campus visit would be pointless. Instead, identify jumping-off points that will allow you to talk about the work you've done so far, and how it will be the perfect background for shifting focus towards Romania.

This strategy worked for me, at least, but I hope you might be able to adapt it to fit your situation!