Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

As another Irvinite, let me just say that you're all a bunch of traitors (I write from my desk in Massachusetts). Seriously, though, have you lived on the East Coast for a substantial length of time; having been out here all of college and grad school so far, the West Coast (yes, even Southern California) is better in basically every way. Public transit is probably the only exception, though that is somewhat important for us grad students.

hey now! Having lived in California and grown up in Boston, I would like to argue the exact opposite. But then, I'm sure a lot of it stems from personal preference: I don't drive (don't even have a license) and appreciate a good walking city with great public transit. I happen to love the cold and the snow, which I understand makes me odd. But most of all, there are few places in the United States that can surround you with history the way Boston does, and I tend to see a greater respect and interest in the field among my friends from Boston than anywhere else. And in general, I prefer East Coast museum culture (although I'm also quite fond of San Fransisco's.) Finally, our sports teams are just better.

That said... I'll likely be applying to Berkeley and Stanford, along with a slew of East Coast schools :)

But most of all, there are few places in the United States that can surround you with history the way Boston does, and I tend to see a greater respect and interest in the field among my friends from Boston than anywhere else. And in general, I prefer East Coast museum culture (although I'm also quite fond of San Fransisco's.) Finally, our sports teams are just better.

Definitely this. History and culture.

hey now! Having lived in California and grown up in Boston, I would like to argue the exact opposite. But then, I'm sure a lot of it stems from personal preference: I don't drive (don't even have a license) and appreciate a good walking city with great public transit. I happen to love the cold and the snow, which I understand makes me odd. But most of all, there are few places in the United States that can surround you with history the way Boston does, and I tend to see a greater respect and interest in the field among my friends from Boston than anywhere else. And in general, I prefer East Coast museum culture (although I'm also quite fond of San Fransisco's.) Finally, our sports teams are just better.

That said... I'll likely be applying to Berkeley and Stanford, along with a slew of East Coast schools :)

Hey I apologize ... I was the person that voted that down ... it was by accident ... or maybe it was my subconscious hatred of everything Boston? ... I can't seem to undo it ... please forgive me

Hey I apologize ... I was the person that voted that down ... it was by accident ... or maybe it was my subconscious hatred of everything Boston? ... I can't seem to undo it ... please forgive me

And here I thought I liked you, oseirus!

And here I thought I liked you, oseirus!

No I SWEAR! Outside of using a magnifying glass to burn ants, pushing old ladies into traffic, stealing from blind panhandlers tin cups, and leaving the toilet seat up (shout out to South Park), I am the NICEST, saintliest person you'll ever meet ... my mother even still calls me a "sweet boy"

No I SWEAR! Outside of using a magnifying glass to burn ants, pushing old ladies into traffic, stealing from blind panhandlers tin cups, and leaving the toilet seat up (shout out to South Park), I am the NICEST, saintliest person you'll ever meet ... my mother even still calls me a "sweet boy"

I am highly skeptical of anyone who doesn't root for the Red Sox. It's generally a good litmus test of character.

I'll defend the Los Angeles areas, since it's usually the part of the West Coast that gets the most scorn from East Coasters (and is where I'm from), though I'm also ready to defend the Bay Area or the Pacific Northwest as places that are also generally superior to the East Coast.

LA has a level of diversity unmatched by any East Coast city save New York. Among other things, this means that is has a better and more diverse set of cheap, delicious restaurants than basically anywhere in America (I think here, I even include New York). For instance, as someone who studies China, while I have a tough time getting a decent Chinese meal of any sort in Boston, LA actually gives access to much of the diversity within Chinese cooking in a way that I've only experienced in China; it doesn't just have Hong Kong style seafood palaces (though it has excellent ones) and Americanized crap; there are Shanghai restaurants, Hunan restaurants, Sichuan restaurants, even a terrific Uyghur restaurant (a cuisine that's very hard to find outside of China). And the same is true for food from the rest of the world. California is a majority-minority state; it shows, and shows in very good ways.

Southern California, though totally suburbanized, has far better access to beautiful natural places than does the East Coast. A lot of this is just geographical luck, but still, within a couple hours' drive of my house I can climb 13,000 foot high mountains or camp in the desert to watch a meteor shower; go skiing or go to the beach. There's nowhere on the East Coast that can match that.

And, of course, there's the weather. Snow is a lot of fun, but it becomes disgusting in city streets within a couple days, and living in a place that has snow is pretty well correlated with living in a place that often has very cold degree rain, which is basically the worst weather that exists, period. I have a good friend from Minnesota who claims to think freezing winters are the best thing ever; after I took her hiking in the hills near the coast in Southern California in December, even she had to admit that California's weather is pretty awesome.

And I'll stop there, before I write myself into a depression about the fact that I no longer live in California. Boston's a great city in a lot of ways, but if I could choose to move my program to the West Coast, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

LA has a level of diversity unmatched by any East Coast city save New York. Among other things, this means that is has a better and more diverse set of cheap, delicious restaurants than basically anywhere in America (I think here, I even include New York). For instance, as someone who studies China, while I have a tough time getting a decent Chinese meal of any sort in Boston, LA actually gives access to much of the diversity within Chinese cooking in a way that I've only experienced in China; it doesn't just have Hong Kong style seafood palaces (though it has excellent ones) and Americanized crap; there are Shanghai restaurants, Hunan restaurants, Sichuan restaurants, even a terrific Uyghur restaurant (a cuisine that's very hard to find outside of China). And the same is true for food from the rest of the world. California is a majority-minority state; it shows, and shows in very good ways.

This I will grant you, definitely. I was the only brown kid in my town and greatly missed (still do, when I'm home!) good Mexican food. Although, there is (was?) a great Sichuan restaurant in Brookline Village. Not sure what you would think of it, since that's one kind of food I am by no means an expert on, but it was a favorite of mine when I lived in the neighborhood.

When I was a kid in elementary school outside of LA, we had a unit on "Californian history" which generally amounted to tourism propaganda-- how in California we're so lucky to be able to go skiing and swimming in the ocean on the same day. In elementary school outside Boston, we went to Walden Pond, Paul Revere's house, and the Lowell mills. Even as a third grader the stark difference made a mark on me, and definitely had at least a small influence on where I ended up today.

Regardless, a nice thing about planning to study in the US is that we have this kind of regional diversity, and fit based on area is something we're able to take into consideration.

I am highly skeptical of anyone who doesn't root for the Red Sox. It's generally a good litmus test of character.

I have a rule as well ... except it's never trust anyone who roots for the diabolical Pink Sox ... and why do I call them Pink? That became the ubiquitous color of their fans' hats across this nation as "fans" of the "long suffering" Sox suddenly came out the woodworks in aught-four ... as a TRUE Yankee fan (Steinbrenner Field baby!), I must despise these infernal ne'er do-wells who dare to tug on our awesome caps ... tis the price we pay for being so great I guess? Long Live the Yankees and a pox on the Sox of Boston

I have a rule as well ... except it's never trust anyone who roots for the diabolical Pink Sox ... and why do I call them Pink? That became the ubiquitous color of their fans' hats across this nation as "fans" of the "long suffering" Sox suddenly came out the woodworks in aught-four ... as a TRUE Yankee fan (Steinbrenner Field baby!), I must despise these infernal ne'er do-wells who dare to tug on our awesome caps ... tis the price we pay for being so great I guess? Long Live the Yankees and a pox on the Sox of Boston

Funny, I know far more bandwagon Yankees fans than Red Sox fans. I did know one Red Sox fan who wore a pink hat-- to signify her battle with breast cancer. When she lost her battle, she was buried with Fenway dirt. Love for the Sox goes deep.

It will eternally weigh on my conscience that I'm living abroad during Fenway's 100th season. Last year I made it to a good dozen games... while living in NYC. Thank goodness for Boltbus & Greyhound!

Funny, I know far more bandwagon Yankees fans than Red Sox fans. I did know one Red Sox fan who wore a pink hat-- to signify her battle with breast cancer. When she lost her battle, she was buried with Fenway dirt. Love for the Sox goes deep.

It will eternally weigh on my conscience that I'm living abroad during Fenway's 100th season. Last year I made it to a good dozen games... while living in NYC. Thank goodness for Boltbus & Greyhound!

May she rest in peace ... and now back to writing more slanderous things about that organization up on Yowkey Way. The last bastion in decent society where criminals, lowlifes, and degenerates can openly assemble and the world doesn't shun them ... on to # 28!

If I'm in Boston next year (as currently looks likely) I've already decided to become a Red Sox fan... not the Patriots though. Never the Patriots. At least not until Brady/Belichick retire. I'm from a part of the country not exactly famed for its professional sports teams (Ohio) so it would be great to actually see some championships.

Where would Wyoming & CO register?

I think they're West. Midwest ends at Nebraska, Kansas on one side and on the East side, it's really iffy for me. I don't consider Ohio "Midwest" but most other people do.

I'm considering UNC. My Dad's a Kentucky alum. He jokes we won't be able to talk during basketball season. I'm still going to be an Oregon fan because honestly, how cute is Puddles?

I think they're West. Midwest ends at Nebraska, Kansas on one side and on the East side, it's really iffy for me. I don't consider Ohio "Midwest" but most other people do.

I'm considering UNC. My Dad's a Kentucky alum. He jokes we won't be able to talk during basketball season. I'm still going to be an Oregon fan because honestly, how cute is Puddles?

1. Cheyenne really is in Nebreska for intense and purposes

2. There is something unique about CO/WY/UT/MT/SD/ND that can't be called mid-western and yet def not western

3. Basketball Season is only 5.5 months of the year anyway

4. Oregon' uniforms causes epilepsy

5. Please pick three Jerseys this year and spare my retinas. Thank you for the consideration

Just want to butt in briefly in the sports discussion / regional battle royale and register a thank you to CageFree for the encouraging/inspiring story about starting this whirlwind process late in life, while working and on top of wedding planning at that!

If I'm in Boston next year (as currently looks likely) I've already decided to become a Red Sox fan... not the Patriots though. Never the Patriots. At least not until Brady/Belichick retire. I'm from a part of the country not exactly famed for its professional sports teams (Ohio) so it would be great to actually see some championships.

Well done, Simple Twist! If you need any advice as to how to get well-priced tickets, feel free to DM. Or for any other advice on Boston, although it might be out of date now...

4. Oregon' uniforms causes epilepsy

5. Please pick three Jerseys this year and spare my retinas. Thank you for the consideration

LOL! Yes!

Yeah, Oregon's uniforms are frequently ugly. Day-glo yellow is never a good option. BUT, I am a bit biased. My sis is getting her MA from Oregon, and I'm slightly obsessed with ducks.

As another Irvinite, let me just say that you're all a bunch of traitors (I write from my desk in Massachusetts). Seriously, though, have you lived on the East Coast for a substantial length of time; having been out here all of college and grad school so far, the West Coast (yes, even Southern California) is better in basically every way. Public transit is probably the only exception, though that is somewhat important for us grad students.

Well, y'all have argued it out, but just want to state that I have very willingly lived in the East for almost a decade now. But in New York City, which is in a league all its own. (As for Boston, no comment! :)). So I am available if anyone wants tips on living in this fine city on a student's budget OR if they want to be discouraged from taking an offer from UCI and having to live in one of the most sterile places in the U.S. -- southern Orange County -- PM, PM! (Though if you must, I can still pass on some Vietnamese dining recommendations -- I do miss that.)

And pudewen, get yourself to the Berkshires!