Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

since your PhD research doesn't require you to know anything other than english, then it's absolutely fine if your writing sample's sources are in japanese, which is unrelated. it's actually pretty cool. in general, americanists get a lot of flack (sometimes deserved, sometimes not) for not knowing other languages. so having japanese behind you, even if you don't plan to use it in your dissertation, is actually a point in your favour.

moreover, since you're an americanist, your writing sample doesn't NEED to use non-english sources. unless you were working on japanese migration to the US (or something like that) most americanist programs don't look as foreign language proficiency as a requirement (just as a bonus). but, on the other hand, if your writing sample is on japanese history, then they'd really like to see the japanese language primary sources, even if you plan to move away from japan at the PhD level. it would be impressive to an adcom.

I was already taking it as gospel, so I'm glad my instincts didn't steer me wrong. ;)

I'm happy to help with questions you may have, though note that at this point I'm a self-taught military historian (which is to say, I only started reading Clausewitz a few months ago and haven't read some of the other major thinks in the field) ...but I know a whole lot about the Civil War, I've just been thinking of it as a "hobby" for the last 20 years or so...when it's finally dawned on me last year that my hobby COULD be my career, if I put the work in... :)

dons a "Vote for StrangeLight 2012" pin

I was already taking it as gospel, so I'm glad my instincts didn't steer me wrong. ;)

I'm happy to help with questions you may have, though note that at this point I'm a self-taught military historian (which is to say, I only started reading Clausewitz a few months ago and haven't read some of the other major thinks in the field) ...but I know a whole lot about the Civil War, I've just been thinking of it as a "hobby" for the last 20 years or so...when it's finally dawned on me last year that my hobby COULD be my career, if I put the work in... :)

dons a "Vote for StrangeLight 2012" pin

Ah Vom Kriege (On War) the only manual of war one needs to read to understand warfare just like one must read Il Principe ( The Prince) to understand pragmatic dominance. Every future dictator/would-be world dominator must purchase those two books!

Hey there! Thanks for the welcome. :) It feels a little bit like going backwards to go back to school, so I was really reassured when I read about you and the other person on here (still learning usernames so I'm not sure who it was) who are also coming back a bit older after some time at another career. :)

That was probably me :) (If not, I apologize, though I do fit that description).

I came into this process with a lot of similarities... out of academia for 12 years, undergrad field unrelated to proposed field. My writing sample was a research paper... from 2000. I went through it over and over to prepare it as a writing sample... in the end, the samples I submitted were under 20 pages because I didn't submit the whole thing. What matters is that the paper be well-written and use the proper sources. My undergrad GPA wasn't stellar either. :)

Anyway, feel free to PM me with questions/concerns/vents :)

Yes, I think that was you. :)

The part of the writing sample that seems to be a sticking point is the no primary doc research part. Sad truth is, even if I COULD have done it for the paper in question, I probably wouldn't have...I was not that well trained by my undergrad, even the one professor I had who was strict about historian-type things - the one who drove home the correct writing style and such - didn't ALLOW us to do research for papers from books not assigned for class (I wanted to use a paper I wrote for him - it's the best written - but the assignments were all series of specific questions so even though the writing is excellent the content is, I think, all wrong...and based on like three books...). I'm not pleased with how I was "taught" to be a historian...or not taught. I think that's a piece of why the years off are a good thing - I get it now, when I didn't then. Anyway, even though writing a whole new paper kinda freaks me out, I'm gonna go ahead and do it. I'm so glad I started this whole process so early - I've got time.

I note the plural - you submitted multiple samples? Did the programs you were applying to programs require that?

Edited by unforth

Yes, I think that was you. :)

The part of the writing sample that seems to be a sticking point is the no primary doc research part. Sad truth is, even if I COULD have done it for the paper in question, I probably wouldn't have...I was not that well trained by my undergrad, even the one professor I had who was strict about historian-type things - the one who drove home the correct writing style and such - didn't ALLOW us to do research for papers from books not assigned for class (I wanted to use a paper I wrote for him - it's the best written - but the assignments were all series of specific questions so even though the writing is excellent the content is, I think, all wrong...and based on like three books...). I'm not pleased with how I was "taught" to be a historian...or not taught. I think that's a piece of why the years off are a good thing - I get it now, when I didn't then. Anyway, even though writing a whole new paper kinda freaks me out, I'm gonna go ahead and do it. I'm so glad I started this whole process so early - I've got time.

I note the plural - you submitted multiple samples? Did the programs you were applying to programs require that?

I did... each school had different requirements so for some I had to trim the sample more than for others. I think I even submitted different sections to meet length requirements.

I thought of doing a whole other paper but the task was too daunting, especially considering I had been out of academia for a long time and didn't know who to send samples to. I was lucky to have an honors thesis that I could go through, but the version I had was in a floppy disk (LOL), and the bibliography was missing... so I had to rebuild the bibliography from scratch, redo the citations, and THEN start rewriting, adding new citations (things I had missed)... it was a serious edit.

I was very well trained as an undergrad, however, so it may have made things easier for me. :)

Speaking of writing samples...

Has anyone had any difficulty trimming their pieces?

My best paper is a mixture of historiography and primary source research. Unfortunately, it's twenty-six pages--far too long for most applications (I think only one school I'm looking at accepts samples up to thrity pages.)

Any ideas for cutting stuff out? In consolidating, should I mention that it was part of a larger piece?

I've never had to shorten an academic paper, but I write grants professionally and length is always essential and page limits absolute; usually early drafts are double the required length, and a good clean draft that seems "perfect" is usually two to three pages over. To get things down to length, I usually start going sentence by sentence and paragraph by paragraph and thinking:

1. Does this add anything to my argument?

2. Have I already said this or something similar else where?

3. Is there a way I could consolidate this paragraph with another else where in order to save any space?

4. Does this particular paragraph-long point actually add enough to my argument to be worth retaining?

I even go word by word sometimes, though that's less applicable in this context since you don't have an EXACT length requirement, you just want to get it shorter.

As to length - I noticed that many of the places I've looked don't specify, but one of the professors I've spoken too specified that, since they DO read every writing sample, keep them short - he suggested that the 20 page sample I was considering using (but now won't be based on our convo here... ;) ) was about the right length.

Speaking of writing samples...

Has anyone had any difficulty trimming their pieces?

My best paper is a mixture of historiography and primary source research. Unfortunately, it's twenty-six pages--far too long for most applications (I think only one school I'm looking at accepts samples up to thrity pages.)

Any ideas for cutting stuff out? In consolidating, should I mention that it was part of a larger piece?

mine was the opposite so if you need any inputs in lengthening it I am your BS king!

The way I shortened mine was to only submit three chapters... the first three, which were the strongest. They are not going to be reading to find your entire argument... they are looking for evidence of good writing and analysis. I added a 1-page summary of the entire paper, and a table of contents to show where those chapters fit. I also made sure that my citations were more explicit since I was not attaching the whole bibliography.

26 pages isn't that long. if most programs want a 20 page paper, cutting 6 is pretty reasonable. rather than cutting out entire paragraphs or sections, see if you can cut one sentence from each paragraph. rewrite/rephrase paragraphs to make your point in more economical language. it may sound tedious (and it is!) but if you can say something with 24 words, you can probably say it just as well with 12.

one of my profs told us about a study done on the optimal length of a sentence. apparently, after 14 words, readers start losing the ability to grasp the meaning. so see where you can trim. eliminating passive voice in your writing is one great way to automatically make sentences shorter and more concise.

We've been pretty quiet the last few days! So, I've got a question/conversation starter...for my fellow 2013 applicants, what is the timeline you're thinking of for getting things done?

I took the GRE this month, and I've already visited the campuses of my top choices but I'm not planning to work on my Statement of Purpose, Letters of Rec or writing sample until September or so. I'm hoping to get my applications done early, not cause I think it will help, but because it'll get them done. I've already outreached to my POI at each school but figure I'll do so again in the fall...hmm...what else is there?

We've been pretty quiet the last few days! So, I've got a question/conversation starter...for my fellow 2013 applicants, what is the timeline you're thinking of for getting things done?

I took the GRE this month, and I've already visited the campuses of my top choices but I'm not planning to work on my Statement of Purpose, Letters of Rec or writing sample until September or so. I'm hoping to get my applications done early, not cause I think it will help, but because it'll get them done. I've already outreached to my POI at each school but figure I'll do so again in the fall...hmm...what else is there?

What else is there?!!?!?!? I'll tell you what else there is!

Yikes! You're already way ahead of me! I haven't taken/haven't even started studying for the GRE yet (good life decisions going on here)... but I'm finishing up my undergrad this week, so I've been a little busy.

I've done a ton of research on schools, but I have yet to contact any of them yet.

Really, just been talking with my professors about my plans and making sure I have three or four good LORs in my back pocket.

I'm considering visiting a few universities in the next several months, but I may decide to wait to do that until I find out where I've been accepted... don't want to get my hopes up.

But in the meantime, working a BS job, reading books, contacting POIs, enjoying the summer, and shooting the breeze.

Well, of you're still in undergrad we're at very different stages of life, so that's a lot of it. :) I'm finding the time around a full time job that tends to get very busy in the mid-spring and through the summer, so I'm trying to get done early what I can. :) Like, I was on a road trip last month anyway, it made an ideal chance to visit my schools when I might not otherwise find the time. :)

I forgot, I've also been reading a ton in my field, and for the first time reading intentionally to get more knowledgeable, rather than just reading whatever looks interesting today. :)

I totally hear ya on getting hopes up by visiting. Now that I've actually visited Chapel Hill and Charlottesville, I want to get to one of the two in soooo bad. It's gonna stink if I don't get it...

Edited by unforth

I do want to work with Prof. Gallagher, very much so. I met him when I visited UVA. He's awesome. Like, literally, I was in awe. I've never met an academic who I felt more comfortable talking with, like, it was just a conversation. Except that he knows a metric ton.

Thanks! I think I'm going to need luck. :(

Where did you end up?

(also: I love your avatar. ;) )

Edited by unforth

@unforth -

At this time last year, I hadn't made up my mind completely that I was gonna do Ph.D. programs. I was still tossing around the idea of doing an MA only. I had lined up a couple of letters of rec. I hadn't even decided to change fields from Late Antiquity to Latin America... I was still trying to make Late Antiquity work for me even though I couldn't get inspired.

Timeline wise...

Nov 2010 - contacted recommenders re: MA

June - made up my mind to do a PhD and to switch fields

Summer Vacation + surgery recovery

July - began studying for GRE, researched programs

August - GRE studying, contacted a couple of profs, began writing SOP

Back to work (teaching, coaching, and wedding planning)

Sept - began revising sample, worked on SOP, took GRE, sent info to recommenders

Oct - writing SOP, revising sample, contacting profs

Nov - began applications, got GRE scores, first letters submitted, talked to profs on the phone

Late Nov - submitted first two apps

Dec - kept revising SOP and sample, submitted two more apps,

Jan - kept revising SOP and sample, submitted last two apps

I get tired just looking at that.

My timeline looked something like this:

June - took a summer class and (under)studied for the GRE

July - wrote the GRE for the first time (my score sucked)

August - studied for the GRE (again), read over my writing sample and made some edits

September - took the GRE (scores still mediocre, but 89th percentile seemed good enough for verbal so I moved on and ceremoniously burned my books/flashcards), finalized the list of schools I planned to apply to and opened accounts on all the application websites

October - asked professors for LORs early in the month and promised to send them a draft of my SOP, which was the pressure I needed to actually write said draft, ordered and mailed transcripts, decided after some feedback from profs that my SOP was good and left it at that first draft, emailed a few POIs (I was ignored by maybe half of them), sent all additional GRE reports

November - cut down my writing sample to the page limits of the various applications (25, 20) and edited a second paper for the schools that wanted a 10pg sample, wrote the 'fit paragraph' of my SOP for all the schools, submitted applications that were complete at this stage, sent reminders to profs to submit LORs

December - submitted remaining applications by either Dec.1st or Dec.15th deadlines, wrote Yale's book review the day it was due, sent panicked reminders to profs to submit LORs

January - frantically tried to reach prof who didn't submit LORs for several applications, managed to get her cell and text her in Uganda where she went to a neighbouring town with electricity to upload the rest :lol:

I highly recommend starting everything early if you value your sanity, especially if you're taking a full courseload in the fall like I was. I'm *still* exhausted by the application season and I'm paying for it now as I try and wrap up my last semester here. GradCafe also stressed me out somewhat because everyone seemed so on top of things application related - whether it was having a SOP drafted over the summer (I wrote mine mid-October), making extensive revisions to their writing samples (I didn't change a sentence, but read over it a few times and cut out entire paragraphs to fit page requirements), or meeting or having pleasant convos with their POIs on the phone or by email (I was rejected by a school where I *met* my POI, and accepted at many schools that ignored my email entirely). Work at your own pace, and do what *you* have to do with your materials to ensure you submit the strongest application possible. Give your referees notice well in advance of your deadlines, and have a draft SOP ready for them to look at early on as well (for a strong LOR as well as for feedback on your SOP).

Hmm.. well after reading up on these boards:

1) I registered for my somewhat first attempt at the new GRE August 13

In the next two weeks -

2) meet with my MA committee members (some of whom that have no idea they will be on my committee) and get all the paperwork signed

3) schedule my comp exams for the beginning of the fall and get book lists from committee profs

4) register for thesis credits in the fall and following spring

Summer -

5) write SOP draft

6) visit a couple universities in England while over there for a conference and see if I can squeeze in a visit or two with American universities

7) study for GRE

8) review writing sample

September/October -

9) Contact POIs

10) Look into taking the GRE again if things don't get well for me in August

11) Get LOR writers on board

November -

12) Prep apps and get things together for submission

December -

13) Submit apps and commence with freaking out until April :D (all the while finishing my MA thesis!)

Everyone's timeline is different. Focus on yourself-- work at your own pace. Let your mind work on its own.

But I do urge you to just do some free writing on your SOP. Don't worry about grammar mistakes, whether or not the sentences make sense, etc. Just write down everything you ever want to say about your intellectual journey, questions you have, your influences, etc. Just write it all down. It doesn't matter if it comes to 6 pages.

And put it away, somewhere where you can't find easily. Make sure it's out of your sight (out of sight, out of mind).

Enjoy your summer! Just let whatever was on your SOP simmer in your mind.

Then when fall comes around again, pull out that SOP and read it over. Now some time has passed and you've had your summer experience, you probably will have much better idea of what's really important to you on that SOP. You'll also be able to see a bit more clearly how your ideas are connected to each other. From there, you can begin looking at programs (and let your bookshelf be your guide too). Find programs and faculty that will allow you to explore the kind of questions you're asking. For example, if you're interested in US diplomatic history and you love that Wisconsin has a strong US history faculty, but look closely, none of them are asking questions about Cold War international security! (Well, Jeremi Suri left) You're better off looking at UVA, Georgetown, OSU, maybe Yale, etc. Cross of Wisconsin (if not with a heavy heart). Sometimes you have to make hard choices but rest assured, you're saving yourself $$ and the faculty the time. Same goes for Yale- don't apply to Yale unless there really is a real fit there. If there is no strong fit there, don't waste your time working on that book review. I've never applied to Yale.

Contact POIs to see if they are still taking students (especially those who have received their PHDs in the 1970s). It's still not a guarantee that they will be around the next academic year- some may be applying for jobs elsewhere and won't know until the spring. I find that October tend to be the best time. November's pushing it a bit. But if you are going to attend a fall or December/January conference that they're likely to be at, get on their schedule ASAP. They are very busy but won't pass up an opportunity to meet a potential student face-to-face in a professional setting. Make sure you thank them for their time.

I usually ordered my materials around mid-October to allow time for mailing and any goof-ups. Same goes for LORs though I didn't send in any materials until beginning of November once I got closer to finalizing my SOP prompt for my LOR writers to use. I think I spent more time on my writing sample on anything else, really. Spend more time on that writing sample than studying for the GRE, seriously.

Oh boy ... well I guess this is the part I gracefully bow out ... people are actually giving out advise ... let me know when the jokes are flying!

PS toast and jellied brain is AWESOME for brinner BTW

PSS for those who can, relax now, the stress WILL come. Having a plan of attack is great. Having a back up to the back up to the back up to the back up is even better. Having a sane mind throughout the entire process, almost impossible, so enjoy the sanity while you can my friends