Rejected Offers Information for Waitlisters

Just accepted my fully funded offer to Georgetown for theory! The package is 11000 per semester for 5 years in addition to tuition and health insurance! Moving back to DC in the fall.

Great, but the topic is rejected offers for waitlisters...where are you turning down to go to G-town?

Turned down offers from Princeton, Michigan, MIT, Stanford, Columbia, Madison, UCLA and UT Austin. Comparative, all funded offers, decided to attend Berkeley

Well done on making your decision. I think its brave as I dont know anybody who would turn down both Princeton and Stanford for anywhere other than Harvard. I think it shows you thought long and hard about it, which is to be admired.

Well done on making your decision. I think its brave as I dont know anybody who would turn down both Princeton and Stanford for anywhere other than Harvard. I think it shows you thought long and hard about it, which is to be admired.

Thanks, you're very preceptive, it was an extremely difficult decision, and the finalists were indeed Princeton, Stanford and Berkeley. I don't even know if I made the right choice, but I will try to make it the right choice.

On 4/13/2012 at 6:06 PM, halfshine said:

Thanks, you're very preceptive, it was an extremely difficult decision, and the finalists were indeed Princeton, Stanford and Berkeley. I don't even know if I made the right choice, but I will try to make it the right choice.

I was feeling similarly about my decision. I just accepted Harvard today, declining Columbia and MIT (all American).

Based on my thinking about my decision, I can say: you made the right choice. At that point, it was just degrees of how right it was, but they are all fantastic programs that can give you everything you need to succeed and beyond that its what you do with it.

Just wanted to give some info on Stanford for those waiting (sorry to be the bearer of bad news!).

It looks like Stanford is going to have a big class this year, so if there is a waitlist (I don't know if they even had one this year) they likely won't take anyone from it.

Sorry to be such a downer! Just wanted to pass along some info.

Just wanted to give some info on Stanford for those waiting (sorry to be the bearer of bad news!).

It looks like Stanford is going to have a big class this year, so if there is a waitlist (I don't know if they even had one this year) they likely won't take anyone from it.

Sorry to be such a downer! Just wanted to pass along some info.

Does this mean they'll accept less next cycle? :(

Does this mean they'll accept less next cycle? :(

No idea. I think by my (very imperfect) count there are 19 in the cohort. I'm hoping they'll tell us in the next couple of days exactly WHO it is, but I do know that they admitted more than usual this year.

So there is definitely a possibility that they will admit less next year, but that's absolutely not a guarantee. Only next year's adcom will know.

• 2 weeks later...