• 2 weeks later...

Oh, this is just evil. I got the official denial email from the graduate school, which was a brief note about how I had not been recommended for admission, a formal letter will be forthcoming in the mail, etc. The title of the email was "Graduate Admissions Notification." Come on, Ole Miss.

• 2 years later...

It's around $11,500 for English PhD, but stipends usually vary across disciplines. It's completely normal to inquire about stipends with your program director if you've already been accepted with a TAship.

Hey all - I lived in Oxford for three years as faculty in the Dept. for Writing and Rhetoric, where you will likely spend some time teaching if you accept. If you have questions about the area, please ask. I do want to let you all know that, despite the fact that the COL is low in rural Mississippi, it's not all that low in Oxford proper. Rent is killer, but if you have a reliable car, you can live outside of town fairly cheaply.

I am happy to finally have reason to post in this thread!

Academicat: could you speak to quality of life in Oxford generally and, if you're familiar with faculty/students in the English Dept. (I know some English/Rhetoric programs are tighter than others), could you speak to the culture/learning environment?

I am happy to finally have reason to post in this thread!

Academicat: could you speak to quality of life in Oxford generally and, if you're familiar with faculty/students in the English Dept. (I know some English/Rhetoric programs are tighter than others), could you speak to the culture/learning environment?

The "quality of life in Oxford generally" is really dependent on who you are, what you need, and what you do. It's a small, isolated college town, an island of wealth in an otherwise pretty impoverished state. This leads to both positives and negatives. There are many cultural activities despite the size of the town, which is nice. The culture is car-centric, which can be frustrating if you don't drive. If you want to ask more specific questions, I'm happy to address them.

As for the relationship between English and Department of Writing and Rhetoric (DWR), there is some collaboration between departments. Literature graduate students and MFAs usually end up teaching composition or working in the Writing Center at some point for the DWR. Graduate students are also part of teaching circles, committees and other professional development activities in the DWR if they wish. That being said, the DWR is still new, so English and DWR still negotiating their relationship with one another, but you will rarely see evidence of that.

The librarians are fabulous. Every single one of them. They are great about ordering books if they're not in the stacks and faculty think they ought to be - at least our department's librarian was. They're all helpful, collaborative, and do all they can to support your teaching.

If you ask more specific questions, I'm happy to address those. Best of luck with your moves!