Going crazy.

crazygirl2012

If it's any consolation to anyone, the craziness can go away pretty quickly once the process is over. I still get butterflies in my stomach when I open my email inbox (yes, looking for that "inbox (1)" in gmail), but I probably only check it 10 times a day now. For me, that is practically baseline!

I'm less neurotic at this point. I think midterms really distracted me from worrying so much.

I have midterms of my own too, but I'm not sure if they're distracting me from worrying. Not having heard just makes studying for them harder. This can be the week that I'll get that acceptance, or this can be one of the longest weeks of the whole semester for me :(

There should be a twelve step group: Graduate Applicants Anonymous.

God grant me the serenity to accept the rejections I cannot change, the courage to not compulsively check my email, and the wisdom to know the difference between being rejected and being waitlisted.

That is too good.

Am really stressed out now as well. I do have an offer, but had an interview at my dream-school about 10 days ago, and I haven't heard yet, though they said I would hear in a week or two. It could be any time now!

What makes it even more stressful is that this school apparently interviews a lot more people than they will offer places, so I really do fear I am rejected.

The chance, albeit a small one, of an admit keeps me sane. Thus though the waiting is freaking me out, it is better, way better, than a sure reject. How empty that would be.

Anyway, back to stressing and hoping...

I feel like my head is a pot of boiling water that's about to boil over.

If I don't hear anything by EOD eastern time today, I'm officially going to lose all patience and email all the programs I have yet to hear from. At least I have an excuse (funding office for MA program would like me to get back to them ASAP.)

Sigh.

I'm optimistic that I'll hear good things from a PhD program soon!!

I only applied to one school. One. School. And it's the only program I want to be in, so if I don't get it, I get to wait a whole year just to go through this all again. My email goes straight to my phone and every time my phone beeps or flashes, I'm all over it. My partner had to take it away from my at breakfast the other day because we made a deal that I wouldn't check my phone at all. Leaving it at home is the only way to deal with this.

Oh god, anxiety. Good things will happen, I will be accepted.

I've just been admitted into my dream school!!!

So happy! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Though starting to get a bit worried about funding issues, as it is not a funded offer (they generally don't fund) :huh:

Congratulations! Hope you can get the funding sorted out. :)

I'm finding that the funding issue is even more insanity-inducing than the rest of the process. I'm accepted to places - Cool! I can't afford to go unless I'm funded - awesome! At least April 15 is only a month away, so the insanity should stop then, right? Right?!

I'm at west coast and since most of my top choices of schools I applied for PhD are at east coast, I've been checking my email from 5am - 2pm (PDT) every day (shows how obsessed I became with getting into schools lol)... if I receive no news by 2pm, then I give up checking email for rest of day, haha...

Edited by FoggyAnhinga

I have absolutely no accepts, only 3 rejections. Still waiting on 7 schools and have not been asked to interview at any of them. Am I pretty much screwed? I don't really understand what happened with my applications, people in my classes at my home institution have gotten into the same schools I've applied to with (much) worse credentials. I'm a little shocked, honestly.

I've received emails pretty late at night too, but always during the week.

It's been a month and a half since I interviewed at my dream school...I sent them an email a week ago asking for an update and they responded with "we're still working on details and will get back to you when we have something definite. Thanks for your patience."

Well...DUH. It's not like I have any choice BUT to be patient.

Does anyone know if the April 15th deadline is for every school/program? Or is that just in general?

I have set my gmail to notify me of any new messages on desktop, and every time I see that notification, I get incredibly excited, only to notice that it's nothing more than a junk or some meeting that has nothing to do w/ me, etc... that's when I get real annoyed...