Master of Teaching - OISE/UT

Red Bull89

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have been accepted, what are your academic backgrounds? Also, when did you submit your applications? Mine was dec 10.

I'll be graduating with an Honour French Degree this semester and I submitted my application in November. Were you invited to the meet and greet event/receive an email about being recommended for admission? Mostly everyone who received these emails/invites will be accepted officially 

Same here. I'm finishing my masters degree this semester... TA'ed for two years while doing masters degree.. numerous other teaching activities and volunteers... I was offered entrance scholarship to uOttawa--I heard that's quite rare at uOttawa

I keep thinking I would be good enough for OISE, especially with this year's low applicant number (hence, MT application is still open!)..... We'll see how this will turn out.

With low applicant #, I doubt there will be any waitlists for people who applied before December 1st---it will be either Yes or No....I think.

Sometime this week or next week will be the time for people who are still waiting to hear back.. Let's hope for a good news.

By the way, the liaison said on March 16th:

"Please note a final decision has not been made for all applicants who applied before December 1, 2014. At this point this is the only information we can provide. Thank you for your patience as the official notification of results are being produced and sent in the mail.

Were you recommended for admission a few weeks ago??? 

I submitted my application on January 15th for Intermediate/Senior. I am finishing up my undergrad degree in Arts (History & Women's and Gender Studies) at the University of British Columbia; I've been a Residence Advisor for 4 years, I worked on a pre-college enrichment program, volunteered in school classrooms and worked at camp. 

I also don't think you should lose hope if they've stated that not all offers have gone out! There's still a chance! :)

To those that received letters, did it say anything about the new structure of the program (ie. 5 semesters instead fo 4?) I'm curious because the website used to say September 2015-April 2017 but that's been taken down. 

I was recommended for admission therefore invited to a meet and greet event where they told us about our classes and the structure and my letter states 2 years. there are summer courses to be taken as well outside of the fall and winter semesters

Same here. I'm finishing my masters degree this semester... TA'ed for two years while doing masters degree.. numerous other teaching activities and volunteers... I was offered entrance scholarship to uOttawa--I heard that's quite rare at uOttawa

I keep thinking I would be good enough for OISE, especially with this year's low applicant number (hence, MT application is still open!)..... We'll see how this will turn out.

With low applicant #, I doubt there will be any waitlists for people who applied before December 1st---it will be either Yes or No....I think.

Sometime this week or next week will be the time for people who are still waiting to hear back.. Let's hope for a good news.

"Please note a final decision has not been made for all applicants who applied before December 1, 2014. At this point this is the only information we can provide. Thank you for your patience as the official notification of results are being produced and sent in the mail."

I know that if you email the program liaison and you were rejected they can tell you information over email (i know 2 people who have done this)

For those asking questions about people who've received letters. I applied before the deadline, my academic background is Honours French Studies. I also received an email in february that i was recommended for admission and was invited to a meet and greet event.. this was an unofficial offer. received my official offer March 18th. it was dated the 13th and was told letters went out that day as well!

I'll be graduating with an Honour French Degree this semester and I submitted my application in November. Were you invited to the meet and greet event/receive an email about being recommended for admission? Mostly everyone who received these emails/invites will be accepted officially 

I haven't been contacted at all yet. I called my liaison today and she said my application hasn't been rejected but that they are still deciding. I got the impression that lots of people are still in this boat. Fingers crossed they make up their minds soon and I get that invite :rolleyes:

I haven't been contacted at all yet. I called my liaison today and she said my application hasn't been rejected but that they are still deciding. I got the impression that lots of people are still in this boat. Fingers crossed they make up their minds soon and I get that invite :rolleyes:

definitely! hopefully you hear back soon! i think at this point there wouldn't be another meet and greet event but surely they understand people need to receive offers!!!! 

"Please note a final decision has not been made for all applicants who applied before December 1, 2014. At this point this is the only information we can provide. Thank you for your patience as the official notification of results are being produced and sent in the mail."

the liaison response is very different than what i received and i sent an email on the 16th as well requesting a status update because my other offers were getting close to expiring, and they told me they sent our the official packages and that i should have something in the mail the 17th (and when i didnt and emailed again they looked into and were very helpful in making sure my offer got to me in time).. now I'm not sure if this was because i had received an unofficial offer back in february and was also pretty sure i was in? 

ohhh thanks for all that information! i guess I'm lucky that my family is from the GTA so i have the option of commuting... although i would definitely rather live downtown. I thought that they didn't close the application period until the total quota number of people accepted their applications.. so any number of people can actually apply? if that makes any sense haha

I also heard that next year it will be a 2.5 year program! which makes sense. and if all teacher education programs are 2 years starting 2015 then i would think the MT would have a higher amount of people applying because you get a teachers certificate plus a master degree rather than just a teaching certificate in the same amount of time compared to other schools teacher education programs

Where did you hear about the program being extended to 2.5 years in the future, if you don't mind me asking? Edited by thisthat

I heard from a few friends who are currently in the program in their last year, they said that their professors had been talking about it ... so its by no means official! just word of mouth... but that wouldnt affect our year as our offers of admission state that its a 2 year program so they cant change that

The Course Schedule for the 2015 Fall and 2016 Winter Sessions will be available for viewing by the end of the day on March 23.  ROSI (www.rosi.utoronto.ca) will open for course enrolment at 6:00 a.m. on March 26.

Once course enrolment opens, you are strongly encouraged to select your courses as soon as possible via the Student Web Service (www.rosi.utoronto.ca) as many courses will reach maximum enrolment.  Note that it is your responsibility to ensure course selection accuracy. For example, a student who adds courses then makes changes to their program of study or to their start date may lose their place in the courses.  

The Course Schedule for the 2015 Fall and 2016 Winter Sessions will be available for viewing by the end of the day on March 23.  ROSI (www.rosi.utoronto.ca) will open for course enrolment at 6:00 a.m. on March 26.

Once course enrolment opens, you are strongly encouraged to select your courses as soon as possible via the Student Web Service (www.rosi.utoronto.ca) as many courses will reach maximum enrolment.  Note that it is your responsibility to ensure course selection accuracy. For example, a student who adds courses then makes changes to their program of study or to their start date may lose their place in the courses.  

The MT program courses aren't up yet, fyi. 

Hey, I accepted my offer of admission by fax on monday morning and there still hasnt been any update in my ROSI account.. it is still saying "invited". has anyone else accepted yet and have your ROSI accounts changed status? How long did it take? thanks! 

I just called OISE and asked about the status of my application as I still haven't heard anything. They said they sent it mid last week but because of the strike, the mailing process has been slower. 

I'm wondering if those of you who were accepted much earlier ALL received emails prior to your "snail mail". Was that only for those who were invited to the meet and greet? Did anyone receive an acceptance letter without an email? 

Best of luck to all those who are still waiting :)

I just called OISE and asked about the status of my application as I still haven't heard anything. They said they sent it mid last week but because of the strike, the mailing process has been slower. 

I'm wondering if those of you who were accepted much earlier ALL received emails prior to your "snail mail". Was that only for those who were invited to the meet and greet? Did anyone receive an acceptance letter without an email? 

Best of luck to all those who are still waiting :)

Please let me know when you get the letter. I'm waiting too..

What strike is it? I'm Canadian living in US for past 6 years I feel like I don't know anything about Canada.. haha

Hello everyone,

Congrats to everyone who got in.

I am planning on applying 2016 cycle.. was just wondering if U of T looks at SubGPA or cumulative GPA?

Also, I was wondering if people wanted to post some stats? Don't want to freak anyone out but just to know if I am competitive enough?

Thanks!

Finally got my rejection letter. I'm glad that it finally came so I could make a damn decision. The letter said I failed to meet the admission course requirement. I have Bachelor of Music degree from USA, and even though I'm applying for music teaching option, they are skeptical about my courses. For people who have international degrees, be careful. I'm heading to Ottawa.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Congrats to everyone who got in.

I am planning on applying 2016 cycle.. was just wondering if U of T looks at SubGPA or cumulative GPA?

Also, I was wondering if people wanted to post some stats? Don't want to freak anyone out but just to know if I am competitive enough?

Thanks!

I applied for the 2015 cycle and was accepted. U of T looks at your 5 most recent credits and calculates the average from that. Since I was in my fourth year of university when I applied, they had used my average from third year. Although, you still need at least a mid-B average in your fourth year, as you are required to send them your transcript once your marks are processed. At this point I'm on a conditional offer until I provide them with this information. I would say this program is competitive and I feel like this program is going to continue to become more competitive in the next few years. Since this is the first year that the B.ED program was changed to two years, more people are becoming aware that UofT is offering a Masters degree that results in teaching qualifications and requires the same amount of time to complete as the B.ED program. I went to a meeting at the school after i received my "recommended" email. They said that they received 3 times the applications as in spots in the program. Just to give you my stats, I had a 78 average in my third year and I also had a variety of different volunteer/work experiences with children. I had many friends who applied for this program and some did not get in. I would say the individuals who were not accepted did not have enough volunteer/work experience with children. Id recommend having 2/3 good recent work experiences with children (no more than from a couple of years ago). Id suggest volunteer/work with children that requires you to teach. For example, you can always volunteer at a school nearby. Most schools will happily take volunteers as long as you provide a police check. I would also recommend tutoring/literacy programs. The more you stand out, the better. Additionally, if you are applying I would recommend having at least a high B average. They say you need a mid-B but I found that people who did have a mid-B average, did not get an acceptance. Those are my suggestions for people who are applying for next year. Good luck!

Edited by xoxk

there is still a chance! how do you know about the low applicant number? do you know roughly how many people applied vs. how many got in ? i was under the impression that the applicant number was higher than in previous years because of the undergrad program closing . good luck! 

When I went for the meeting after i received my "recommended" email they said that each division had almost 150 spots and they received three times the amount of applications compared to available spots. 

Edited by xoxk

I applied for the 2015 cycle and was accepted. U of T looks at your 5 most recent credits and calculates the average from that. Since I was in my fourth year of university when I applied, they had used my average from third year. Although, you still need at least a mid-B average in your fourth year, as you are required to send them your transcript once your marks are processed. At this point I'm on a conditional offer until I provide them with this information. I would say this program is competitive and I feel like this program is going to continue to become more competitive in the next few years. Since this is the first year that the B.ED program was changed to two years, more people are becoming aware that UofT is offering a Masters degree that results in teaching qualifications and requires the same amount of time to complete as the B.ED program. I went to a meeting at the school after i received my "recommended" email. They said that they received 3 times the applications as in spots in the program. Just to give you my stats, I had a 78 average in my third year and I also had a variety of different volunteer/work experiences with children. I had many friends who applied for this program and some did not get in. I would say the individuals who were not accepted did not have enough volunteer/work experience with children. Id recommend having 2/3 good recent work experiences with children (no more than from a couple of years ago). Id suggest volunteer/work with children that requires you to teach. For example, you can always volunteer at a school nearby. Most schools will happily take volunteers as long as you provide a police check. I would also recommend tutoring/literacy programs. The more you stand out, the better. Additionally, if you are applying I would recommend having at least a high B average. They say you need a mid-B but I found that people who did have a mid-B average, did not get an acceptance. Those are my suggestions for people who are applying for next year. Good luck!

xoxk, congrats on getting in!! If I may ask, who was your professional letter of rec from? 

• 3 weeks later...

xoxk, congrats on getting in!! If I may ask, who was your professional letter of rec from? 

My professional letter of recommendation was from a organization I volunteered for. I had volunteered for a literacy program, in which I tutored children with learning disabilities or that struggled with reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone who has been accepted gotten an email about courses or fees? I was told we would get an email about it in the last week of june but i havent heard anything!