UNC Anybody?

costello

Does anyone have plans to attend the welcome weekend for admitted students this week?

(For those still waiting, you may want to check out http://ssw.unc.edu/students/orientation/welcome in advance since there probably won't be a lot of turnaround time after decisions are sent out)

My guess is that the SSW made final decisions last week and they are just waiting on the Graduate School to update the systems and send out the emails. Hopefully those will be sent out today!

I heard back from the office of scholarships and student loans about need-based grants and federal student loans, but nothing yet from the school of social work. My understanding from this weekend is that they were going to try to get through the applications the first couple of weeks in April and notify students.

Gosh I hope not! I sent an email Tuesday morning and no response yet. I arrive Thursday to visit the campus for the first time and attend the informational Friday. I need to know ASAP so I know what to tell the other schools I've been accepted into.

BTW

My friend who was accepted into the school of public health for her doctorate didn't hear from financial aid until JULY!!!!!!!! ugh... that would be insane.

I heard from UNC today and the enrollment deposit is due on the 15th (Sunday) and we should hear about funding in the 'next few weeks.' Unfortunately, that means we have to decide before hearing about scholarship aid. Good luck, everyone!

Quick update: this morning I received an award package from financial aid department with loans and stuff but no word from SSW. i didnt receve a notification about a deposit.... maybe i should reread my acceptance letter.

I attended the information session Friday and it was really good i would be so happy to attend if i could get some financial aid.

Whitty:

The date the enrollment deposit is due was not listed on my acceptance letter, either. I couldn't find the information on the SSW's site or on the Graduate School's site, so I e-mailed Metta Prietto in the SSW office. She replied saying the following:

The due date for paying the $250 deposit is actually the 15th of April (in two days). Paying the deposit will not automatically kick any information your way, but I just spoke with Sharon Thomas, our Director of Admissions, and she said that in mid-May you can expect a Welcome packet with more information for incoming students. Financial Aid decisions should also be made within the next few weeks and you will be hearing back from us, whether or not we were able to grant you funding.

This implies that the deposit is due for everyone tomorrow, regardless of a funding decision. Maybe they'll be flexible because we haven't yet been notified of possible funding, but I went ahead and paid it yesterday to secure my place in the class.

Good luck in your decision!

Whitty - definitely going to UNC!! So glad to hear that you're going to attend as well! I know you said you are going to be moving, so if you have any questions, feel free to message me. I've lived in the area for several years and may be able to offer some advice!

Hi future Tar Heels!

I'm narrowing down my list of top schools, to which I'll be applying this fall, and UNC has topped my list thus far. It's been difficult to find information regarding admissions statistics or a profile of admitted students statistics. I was wondering if any of you successfully got this information from people at the school, or if you would be willing to share your own statistics... I feel like I'm a strong candidate but it's difficult to say that without having comparisons to substantiate it. Anything you can provide would be helpful and would be much appreciated! Oh yeah, I almost forgot - Congratulations on your acceptance!!

Inspired V - When I met with admissions they gave me some stats about their admission rate based on the previous year, but that was for 2011 and so they probably have updated stats for this latest round of admissions. From my own experience, I can tell you that the admissions dept was extremely helpful. I met with them twice in person and emailed them several times throughout the process and I felt like they were supportive and patient. I would suggest reaching out to the admissions dept directly to see if they have some new information if you can't find it here. I think you'll find them helpful and receptive!

Thanks 2012 MSW! It's good to know that the admissions office is responsive and helpful. I actually have already sent an e-mail to them, but since it's a busy time for the staff (or at least I'm assuming - what, with the admitting and scholarships and preparing for the incoming class) and I thought perhaps my e-mail was missed. I'll write back when things have presumably settled down for them if I haven't heard back, but in the mean time I thought maybe some of you here on GradCafe could help me out.

Do you happen to remember or still have the 2011 stats admissions shared with you? I realize that details change from year to year but at this point I'll take what I can get.

Thank you for looking for those stats! The out of state percentage was something I've been especially curious about -- I visited UNC when I was applying to undergrad and I remember them telling me they had a cap for out of state (around 18% I believe) and haven't been able to find anything out about the graduate programs. It will be interesting to find out if the out of state numbers are low because less out of state people apply or if there is preference given to in state applicants.

Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! Take care