What if a better offer comes along after the deadline?

mresene

Good evening. Let me begin by saying that I've found the "Waiting It Out" board to be a *huge* comfort as I alternate between checking my e-mail 30 times a day or saying "screw it," pulling on a pair of comfy, worn out pajamas and spending my time eating ice cream and watching cartoons. Phineas and Ferb, Rocko's Modern Life, and a series of progressively stranger anime, if anyone's interested.

Moving on to the point of this post, I have what you might call a situation. I've been accepted to one very highly ranked PhD program; however, I am still waiting to hear from three other programs that are equally good. Program A wants to know whether I'm accepting their offer by March 23rd, even though my department won't even be able to give me information about funding until late March/early April (I'm *really* hoping for a fellowship or at least an assistantship). Not to mention the three programs I'm still holding out hope for...I was under the assumption that April 15th was the deadline, but one of my current professors just informed me that there isn't really an *official* deadline schools have to follow.

So, how should one respond in this situation? If I do give them a tentative acceptance, is there a professional way to bow out if I'm given a better offer later? I don't want to damage my relationship with potential future colleagues. However, I need to make the best decision for myself and my future. Any advice would be appreciated.

You might want to politely ask for an extension until the funding decision is out. I don't think it would hurt to let them know that funding is a big part of your consideration to attend, and if you cannot afford your graduate education otherwise, I would let them know that, as well. It would not be fair to you to be forced into a decision where you do not know whether or not you will be able to fund your education.

Also, if you have not e-mailed these other programs you are waiting on and have not received any definite answer as to when you're hearing back, I would send a polite e-mail to them inquiring about your application status. It can't hurt, as long as you aren't blatantly rude or e-mailing them once every six minutes.

Best of luck!

Definitely ask for an extension and, like the previous poster said, explain that your decision is largely dependent upon funding. I also agree that it is a smart idea to email the other programs; I had success in doing this. I emailed a program I had not yet heard from and explained that I was considering offers from two other schools and was curious about their timeline. The grad studies director got back to me and, while he couldn't give me a "real" answer, basically gave me an unofficial yes and asked me to wait for them. It was worth the wait, as I ended up getting a nice offer from them.

As for the April 15 agreement - It's true that schools don't HAVE to give you until April 15, but it is considered the fair and ethical thing to do considering that so many programs notify applicants well into March and even April. I'm of the opinion that any school that would force your hand before they've even notified you of funding is acting unethically. In light of that, I don't think it's unfair for you to go ahead and accept and then back right out if a better offer comes along.

I agree with the comments about extensions and whatnot. I am curious to see what other posters have to say about backing out of an offer gracefully. I'm waiting to hear back from UofT's anthro MA but I've also been accepted to Cambridge, which didn't give a deadline to accept by, but has emphasized that I let them know asap (though they haven't let me know about funding or who will be supervising my thesis).

Edited by nicolemc

If a school is a signatory to that April 15 deadline no department can force you to accept sooner.

Not true. That deadline only refers to funding, not admission. Also, there's no (or next to no) penalty if they withdraw their acceptance. On top of that, an acceptance from a program is separate from an admission the graduate school itself, which is why dept admissions letters always say something like "contingent upon your acceptance to the graduate school."

Edited by guttata

Thank you, everyone, for the helpful, pragmatic advice. I will contact my top two programs on Monday and give the one in question a tentative acceptance pending funding information if nothing more appealing is offered before their deadline. Who knows? Maybe hearing that I can't accept their offer unless it comes with financial assistance will motivate them to offer it to me.

I've been holding off contacting the other programs because I didn't want to come across as a nuisance; however, considering that it is late March, I think it's justified at this point. To think that a few weeks ago, I was a wide-eyed optimistic graduate student assuming I'd hear back from all my programs by Spring Break. :rolleyes: On the up side, I did get another acceptance (this one with funding up front) over the weekend. So, at least I know I have options.

I would be curious to hear from anyone who accepted an offer and then received a better one on or after the April 15th deadline. How did you (or how would you) handle that?

Note that also according to the CGS resolution, any signatory school will have to get, from you, written proof of release from a previous school before admitting you after April 15th.

From what I've seen, however, there should be no harm coming from a politely phrased request in either direction- asking the school for an extension since you are waiting to hear back from several other schools, and at the same time contacting the schools you haven't heard back from and letting them know that you've got a short timetable to decide, and need to hear back from them soon.

@mresene

I am in that situation as I have accepted an offer early before April 15th, but receive another offer from a school that I believe is better. So what should I do? Is it ok to rescind my acceptance and accept another offer before April 15th. Just want to know please respond

I've been talking to multiple professors about this, OldGrad2014, and the consensus is that no one wants you to be unhappy in your graduate school choice. So, if you have accepted an offer and then are offered something which is a better fit, you should politely request to be released from your prior obligation in writing. Most schools will accept your decision gracefully. I hope this helps anyone else who has this dilemma as well.

As for me, I am now in the happy position of having two offers from very reputable children's literature programs - Ohio State and University of Connecticut. Now, I have to decide whether I want a Ph.D. through the School of Teaching and Learning (at OSU) or English (at UCONN). The schools are tied in my mind in every other regard (location, fit, knowledgeable faculty, etc) with the exception of funding. I'm in the process of visiting with professors in both English and Education now in order to make a decision in the next week or two. Wish me luck!

Storrs (UCONN) is much. . .less active I would say than Columbus. If you are looking at "Hey what is the better spot to live for the next 5 years. . ." Ohio State should win out (especially if the programs are similar).

Okay, so after reading this thread, I am still left with a question.

I have an offer that is fully funded. I have a handful of other acceptances where I am either still waiting for funding information or have been waitlisted for funding. I know that I will only go to a school that funds me, and I do generally like the school that has given me a funding package. However, given the opportunity, I would choose one of the other schools over the one that is funding me so far. Say April 15 rolls around, and I accept the funded offer, only to find out later (a week or two? who knows how long that takes) that I've received funding at one of the schools I like more. How do you phrase that email?

Okay, so after reading this thread, I am still left with a question.

I have an offer that is fully funded. I have a handful of other acceptances where I am either still waiting for funding information or have been waitlisted for funding. I know that I will only go to a school that funds me, and I do generally like the school that has given me a funding package. However, given the opportunity, I would choose one of the other schools over the one that is funding me so far. Say April 15 rolls around, and I accept the funded offer, only to find out later (a week or two? who knows how long that takes) that I've received funding at one of the schools I like more. How do you phrase that email?

I'm in your exact situation. Unfortunately, that's all I have to contribute - other than my wish to see further replies to your post. :D

Haha I was hoping for some assistance with this.... I did speak to my undergraduate advisor about it, and he gave me some advice. (I graduated almost two years ago - this guy is awesome.) He said that ultimately, you have to do what's best for you, and schools are going to realize that that's what you're going to do. Don't be afraid to wait until the last minute to make your decision - people are expecting you to do that anyway. Unless you are 150% sure you don't want to attend a certain program, don't decline because you don't know what might happen in the next few weeks, especially as some states/schools are facing such severe budget cuts. Granted, that stuff can still happen after you've accepted, but it's just something to consider. (yes, I know that's annoying to people on waitlists. Sorry. I promise I'm not sitting on any ultra-competitive schools.) He told me to literally hang out near my email all day on the 15th, so that I can see any offers as soon as (if) they appear. Gives you a little more time to consider them, and might prevent you from accepting one only to get off the waitlist at another a few hours later.

And if one does appear April 16 or 17, just email the department you originally accepted immediately and let them know that your circumstances have changed. He said they might be a little miffed, but that they know it happens, and will be more concerned with finding someone good to take your spot.

I actually had to rescind my acceptance to a masters program when I received full funding to one at the end of April in 2010. The first school gave me zero funding, so it was an obvious choice. I emailed them to say my circumstances had changed, and I was very sorry. They were really nice about it and actually offered to defer me until the next fall. However, this was an unfunded program, so they had less riding on me.... Feel like they might get a little more upset over a funded offer. But yeah, it can be done. Soooo I hope that helps..

Note that in some circumstances, a school can't give a funding offer that they gave to you to another student if you decline after April 15th... So you effectively make them have 1 less student for the next years class.

Depends on the type of funding. Fellowships, yeah probably not. However, RA/TA positions are usually more flexible.

Quite true.

RAs won't matter as much, some TAshios come from the school, howevere, and those sometimes can get pulled following someone pulling out late.

These are better responses that I had hoped. I was under the impression that pulling out after accepting was something that was....idk punishable by law haha.

Don't get me wrong though, this isn't something I would want to do by any means. However, I have two acceptances with funding and the 15th deadline, and another where I've been accepted ( which is of course, the one I'd prefer to attend ) who has told me that they probably won't be able to make any more funding offers until after the 15th "when the dust settles". :blink:

Yeah, exactly. I feel like I will get blacklisted from the world of sociology if I rescind an acceptances after January 15. I feel guilty. But, like my advisor said, you really do need to do what you think is best for you and your long-term goals. Welp.

Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some help with a similar problem. I applied to two schools. One, I have received an official offer with funding. I need to accept or decline by April 15th. The other, my top choice, had not contacted me so a few weeks ago I emailed my POI (with whom I've been in contact with over the past year) saying that I had received another offer and inquiring about the status of my application. She told me that the department was waiting to hear back from SSHRC/NSERC so they knew how many of their students had external funding. The dept. guarantees all students a certain level of funding, so they need to know how many current students they need to fund before they know how many new students they could admit. She said that my application had been viewed favourably by the ad comm, but I would have to wait to hear back until SSHRC had sent out offers..... Now, I looked around the forums and it looks like most people don't hear back from SSHRC until AFTER April 15.... what do I do? Should I email her again at the beginning of April? I don't want to be a pain, when she has clearly told me she will let me know when she hears anything, but I don't want to lose out on any offers... ack.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I am kind of in a similar boat my self. I had one good funded offer from school A which I accepted

in early April. I had an interview with my POI at school B and told me he would contact me within a couple days

regarding my status. Unfortunately, I did not here from him since then even after I emailed him for the same.

Now they have contacted me saying I am on their waiting list and will let me know within couple of weeks.

This means there is a very real chance they may notify me after April-15th. So, what should I do in the mean time?

Do I contact School A and let them know my situation? then what happens if I eventually not get accepted in school B?

Or, Do I contact school B instead?

I called the school I was accepted to and they said I can let them know as soon as possible if I want to withdraw from accepting. This is what I will most likely do if I get accepted to my other program.

Edited by NeeNee