Waiting for EPFL's confirmation [PhD Application]

vietexob

Hi all, I have been suffering the same situation.

If I cannot find a thesis advisor until April 14, then I lose the qualification to enter the Doctoral Program in 2012?

I asked the same question to admission committee, but they didn't answer yet : (

I have been rejected from 14 US schools, EPFL is the last HOPE!!

Edited by jsgyun

Are you applying to EDIC (Computer Science dept)? They never say explicitly about when you will hear the decision, so I'm not sure about April 14. I guess it could go on until June or July because of the April 15 deadline. That would be a pain in the ass if I have to wait that long. And yes, if no professor wants to be your thesis advisor, then there will be no deal. :-(

What labs are you applying to?

Hi all, I have been suffering the same situation. If I cannot find a thesis advisor until April 14, then I lose the qualification to enter the Doctoral Program in 2012? I asked the same question to admission committee, but they didn't answer yet : ( I have been rejected from 14 US schools, EPFL is the last HOPE!!

@vietexob

Yes, I am applying to EDIC. Specifically, I am interested in IVRG and CVLAB.

OMG!!! Who can be waiting until June or July? Technically, I think that it is impossible because of VISA process.

I mentioned April 14 because I had received first notification at Feb. 15.

(They said an interview would be offered within two month.)

Anyway, I wish we could see at EPFL. :)

Edited by jsgyun

FYI

I've got email from admission committee.

They said that if I had not been hired toward end of April, it might be difficult to start the Doctoral program this time. :(

Thanks for the info. So let's just assume that end of April is the deadline and if you don't hear anything by then you can assume a rejection. I guess that's what they meant. Still some time to wait. Keep hanging on!

FYI

I've got email from admission committee.

They said that if I had not been hired toward end of April, it might be difficult to start the Doctoral program this time. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all anxious waiters,

Have you got any news yet? Have you heard anything from the admission committee that you're applying to? ;-)

EDIC hasn't been in touch with me so I guess my app to EDIC is not in good situation as end of April is approaching...

Oh dear...that's sad news. I'm so sorry for you. I'm stilling waiting for decision, most likely at the end of April.

Good luck with other universities.

Is there anyone who got any financial offer from EPFL? I heard a negative answer from one of the professors today! they do not have money! Try other universities!

Guys, don't lose your hopes yet. I heard back from EDIC a couple of days ago, and just had an interview with a lab that wasn't even explicitly among my choices (unfortunately I found them after I had already applied, so glad they are interested). The interview was not technical, just a relaxed talk about my background and objectives to verify whether there is mutual interest or not. They'll let me know in 2-3 weeks because they also have other candidates to interview. Clearly the selection process is still on, so good luck to everybody ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm still waiting to work something out at EPFL. I was intending to go to IDIAP but things are a bit difficult there. Trying to get an interview in LBCC (anyone received a reply from them?). The trouble for me is many faculty at EPFL have very different interests (i.e. networks, systems), so I only have a few choices for my background (data mining, machine learning, bioinformatics).

Anyone also looked at ETHZ? I think I would prefer ETH, and there are more faculty I am familiar with there. We'll see.

Great to hear! ETH is indeed better in many ways. Good luck with it!

I'm still waiting to work something out at EPFL. I was intending to go to IDIAP but things are a bit difficult there. Trying to get an interview in LBCC (anyone received a reply from them?). The trouble for me is many faculty at EPFL have very different interests (i.e. networks, systems), so I only have a few choices for my background (data mining, machine learning, bioinformatics).

Anyone also looked at ETHZ? I think I would prefer ETH, and there are more faculty I am familiar with there. We'll see.

Hello Everyone!

I am in the same situation as everyone in here I guess.

I got a mail saying that I meet the eligibility requirements and that I have up to 12 months to find a thesis director / laboratory / assistantship.

Do you guys have any updates in regard to the whole process?

I have contacted a few professors but I haven't heard back from them yet!

Good Luck!

If you have waited till this date and haven't heard anything from them (like me), you should must move on and apply to other places. Chances are very small, and if anything happens, that would be magical. You can also reapply in the next season with a stronger package, like what I'd do.

Hello Everyone!

I am in the same situation as everyone in here I guess.

I got a mail saying that I meet the eligibility requirements and that I have up to 12 months to find a thesis director / laboratory / assistantship.

Do you guys have any updates in regard to the whole process?

I have contacted a few professors but I haven't heard back from them yet!

Good Luck!

Hi vietexob,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

In fact, I applied by the end of last December and I have only got this mail saying that I meet the eligibility requirements two weeks ago.

Thus, it means that I have up to next May to find an assistantship.

However, I don't have any idea on how I would find a supervisor or apply to a laboratory in there.

I have sent a few mails but I haven't got any reply yet.

I don't know if I should keep trying to contact people in there or just wait and see what might happen?

Good Luck Everyone!

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in pursuing PhD at EPFL in EDIC. I have not submitted my application yet as I want to start in September 2013. I have also been in touch with a professor who said that I have to submit the application and if admitted he will surely discuss further steps after wards. But before submitting the application I want to know what makes your application more effective.

I am currently doing my masters from Paris in Embedded Systesms. My GPA is Ok. I have two publications. Also I have good recommendations. My TOEFL score is 103 and I haven't appeared GRE. Do you think I should? Also I am recipient of a government scholarship here in France for my masters. I am also highly involved with technical societies like IEEE. But I do not have any experience in any industry or lab. I did my bachelor's in 2011 and I started my masters just after that.

Please suggest your opinion on my profile.

Thank you!!

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I will soon complete my M.Sc. study in field Information Technology at a German technical university and planning to apply to the EDIC program before the January deadline. I would like to ask here 2 questions which I couldn't answer on my own in the homepage:

1-) Does the salary list in the link below apply also to 1-year I&C fellowship holders who haven't been hired into a lab yet ? Or I&C fellowship is not considered as being a Phd student and there are other financial conditions ?

http://phd.epfl.ch/page-19722-en.html

2-) Is my language test result (e.g. TOEFL) required already before the application deadline (before 15 January in case of an early application)?

Thank you in advance for any kind of help

• 2 years later...

Hello!

I just got accepted to doctoral school in EDMI programme and now I am looking for an RA position. I though that it's worth to refresh this thread a bit. 

So... Is there anyone who have some kind of reply from professors already?

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I got acceptance email from EDMI and EDEE.For EDMI, email says we should find RA position by contacting professors and I sent emails to 8 professors asking for available position. One of them replies by saying he has no position but the others havent replied.

For EDEE, acceptance email said interested professor will contact with us if they interested.

Is there anyone with same situation with me? Is there anyone who had an interview with professors?

• 5 years later...