Is no news really good news?

sst

Yes!

While some evil programs do seem to hold on to rejections, in my experience schools let you know when you're out of the running. Until you hear something, you can assume that they aren't willing to let you go just yet.

Good luck!

Like I said in another thread: they don't finalize everything until the very end. If a program expressed interest in you as a candidate (i.e. they invited you to interview) and you haven't heard anything back, you can consider yourself still in the running until the very end. Until things are set in stone you have no idea what may be going on over there. Maybe not the most reassuring thing but there's always some hope.

What if you haven't heard anything at all from schools and you were not extended an interview? At this point, is the only thing one can assume is that they were rejected? Any thoughts?

I would say by now, yes. At least for my field in neuroscience interviews generally ended last week. I think some may extend interviews through mid-March, but if you haven't gotten an invite by now its pretty safe to assume you were rejected. Normally invites go out starting around late December and continue through to maybe late February. This is of course assuming you're applying for programs that require interviews. Go and check their admissions requirements. Not all schools do interviews, so if they don't then you really won't know until you know.

Edited by Marius

I would say by now, yes. At least for my field in neuroscience interviews generally ended last week. I think some may extend interviews through mid-March, but if you haven't gotten an invite by now its pretty safe to assume you were rejected. Normally invites go out starting around late December and continue through to maybe late February. This is of course assuming you're applying for programs that require interviews. Go and check their admissions requirements. Not all schools do interviews, so if they don't then you really won't know until you know.

Yeah, my program requires interviews. I am (were) trying to get a PhD in Marketing. I guess my only hope was based on the fact that I was placed on the waiting list for LSU, and they haven't even contacted me. I only found out I was on LSU's waiting list because I emailed to find out the status of my application. I just don't know anymore. I am getting tired of all this waiting. Just want to know!!!!!

Yeah, my program requires interviews. I am (were) trying to get a PhD in Marketing. I guess my only hope was based on the fact that I was placed on the waiting list for LSU, and they haven't even contacted me. I only found out I was on LSU's waiting list because I emailed to find out the status of my application. I just don't know anymore. I am getting tired of all this waiting. Just want to know!!!!!

They may follow different schedules, I'm not sure, but if a program requires interviews they're generally going to do this in January/February because decisions need to be made by April 15th.

Were you placed on a wait list without an interview?

They may follow different schedules, I'm not sure, but if a program requires interviews they're generally going to do this in January/February because decisions need to be made by April 15th.

Were you placed on a wait list without an interview?

Yeah, I was placed on LSU's waiting list without having to do an interview. That is also my alma mater!

I ended up emailing my POIs to ask about the status of my application and 3 out of 4 said my application was no longer being considered/pursued. One of them said "you are still being considered. In fact, let's have a chat soon"

• 2 weeks later...

Still no news to this day. I know that enduring this waiting game isn't quite the same as getting the silent treatment from a girl. You're bound to hear one way or another because submitting the application wasn't free. The application fee should entitle you to at least a notice of rejection.

Still no news to this day.

Same here. On the upside the reality of graduation in < 6 weeks is setting in, which is giving me something else to anticipate.

No news for me as well. But no news is better than bad news. (I don't want to call it good news to get my hopes up and then have it shattered.) Many people that I've read in forums have said they've called or contacted the admissions office to find out that they were rejected so I'm hesitant on calling them and would rather wait. I'm thinking of waiting another week or two before I contact them. What do you think? Wait or 'take initiative'?

I've been rejected in my second program of choice mid-March which is fairly early, so I believe I was in the pile of automatic rejections. I was very concerned after that for my first program of choice and am now just patiently waiting, hoping it will be worth the wait.

Contacting departments has so far only gotten me a response of "we're still reviewing" so that's not bad news. It's just so disheartening to get no feedback day after day. It makes it too easy to read into the waiting, when its probably just due to a giant stack of admission files.

What about for programs with deadlines in February and March? Obviously they can't be extending interview offers in December if they're not even reviewing applications. Anyone in the same boat?