HGSE Ed.M Human Development and Psychology 2012

Gvh

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd go ahead and ask if anyone else has been admitted to this program at Harvard for Fall 2012. I believe it's my top choice and would love to get to know anyone else who is considering attending!

Edited by Gvh

I almost applied for HDP, but I ended up applying for PSP since it better aligned with my career goals. Even though I'm not going into HDP, I thought I'd contribute anyway. HGSE PSP is one of the top two programs I am strongly considering. Maybe I'll see you there. :)

Nice! PSP was the other program I was considering applying to as well. Good luck in your decision and maybe I will see you there! =)

Yeah, I heard a lot of applicants who consider one program also consider the other... which makes sense, considering the curricular overlap. I'd say I spent a good month or so feeling out both programs before choosing PSP.

Are you planning to attend any of the admit events?

Good luck with your decision-making too! I just can't wait to get financial aid information from all the schools. That's when the real decision-making will begin. I've only heard back from two schools concerning that, and with only partial information (e.g. certain fellowships, etc.). I think the wait for that has been worse than the admit wait, lol! At least for admission, I didn't have my hopes all wound up in a ball... I figured, I either got in or I didn't. But now that I have the chance to attend (and I am sooo close), it would be heartbreaking to find out that I won't be able to enroll because of practical money matters. :(

Ah, I feel your pain re financial aid packages - I wish you the best of luck!

Unfortunately I won't be attending the admit events as I live in London and my budget/schedule won't quite allow it :( But I am going to try to "attend" as many as the virtual chats and talks as possible. Though I have visited the campus, when I went to speak to an admissions liaison last summer - the grounds and facilities are spectacular to put mildly!

I'm fairly sure I am going to attend anyway as it is cheaper than the other options I have going on now (even with $0 in funding) but some money would be nice! Ha.

Keep me posted on what you decide :)

Edited by Gvh

Ah, I feel your pain re financial aid packages - I wish you the best of luck!

Unfortunately I won't be attending the admit events as I live in London and my budget/schedule won't quite allow it :( But I am going to try to "attend" as many as the virtual chats and talks as possible. Though I have visited the campus, when I went to speak to an admissions liaison last summer - the grounds and facilities are spectacular to put mildly!

I'm fairly sure I am going to attend anyway as it is cheaper than the other options I have going on now (even with $0 in funding) but some money would be nice! Ha.

Keep me posted on what you decide :)

Wow, London! Yes, that would be very far for such a short visit. That is nice that you have been on campus before, though. Actually, I have as well (one of my friends went there for undergrad), back when I lived in NYC... so it was pretty close. But that was a loooong time ago, and I only saw certain bits and pieces of it. Honestly, I am considering not going to an event as well, since I have a feeling the ticket prices are inching up each day I'm not hearing back from HGSE about questions I had concerning the events... and I have a feeling my funding options for the school won't be all that great once I do hear back. In that case, the visit will just make me more disappointed.

I am just a little stressed, considering my time-sensitive, money-dependant situation. The other program I'm strongly considering (since, so far, it has offered me the most money) actually starts in June... that is why I am just so nervous about everything not falling into place. I will need to rent out my property ASAP, give notice to my full-time job (even though I really need to work as long as possible, so I'll keep an income as long as possible), take a $250 test for another program if I end up going there, pack and move everything out of my property for the renters, etc... all on top of these classes I'm taking that won't finish up until May. I'll basically have two months to get my place rented out if I end up going to the other school, and I could see things going all wrong... :unsure:

Edited by hello3angel

Oh wow, sounds you have a lot on your plate - well, good luck in your decision. I'm sure you'll get a great education wherever you decide. What is the other program you're considering? For me it was a toss up between Harvard and Columbia, but I've decided the HGSE program better fits in with my career goals. Still so much to take in though, the pre-mat website for Harvard alone is overwhelming!

Edited by Gvh

Oh wow, sounds you have a lot on your plate - well, good luck in your decision. I'm sure you'll get a great education wherever you decide. What is the other program you're considering? For me it was a toss up between Harvard and Columbia, but I've decided the HGSE program better fits in with my career goals. Still so much to take in though, the pre-mat website for Harvard alone is overwhelming!

Thank you! The other program I'm considering is Stanford's TEP. I think that Harvard in your case would definitely be the more affordable option. And you're right... there is sooo much information to take in and so many factors to take into account. I agree that the Harvard pre-mat site is in itself overwhelming. I just can't wait to pick one program and be overwhelmed by just that one school instead of several, haha! Well, congrats to you on your firm decision! I hope to have a decision by the end of this month as well. *crosses fingers* I'll keep you posted! :)

Sorry to be that person who bumps their own thread - but are there really no applicants to the Ed.M program in HDP?

Also, hope the decision process is getting easier for you, hello3angel!

Yeah, I have - just thought I'd see if there were any fellow grad cafe-ers :) But thanks for the suggestion! Maybe I'll see you in a class or two ;). Have you already responded to the offer of admission?

Edited by Gvh

Hi everyone, I was admitted to the EPM M.Ed. program (I know this is a thread for a different program at HGSE), but I'm experiencing similar concerns re: funding so I thought I'd jump in. Does anyone know when we can expect news on funding? I am in a similar crunch where I have about two weeks to decide and my three top choices all have yet to inform me about money (which is probably THE primary factor for me)!!! Either way, congratulations to you all and maybe I'll meet some of you next year.

Hi everyone, I was admitted to the EPM M.Ed. program (I know this is a thread for a different program at HGSE), but I'm experiencing similar concerns re: funding so I thought I'd jump in. Does anyone know when we can expect news on funding? I am in a similar crunch where I have about two weeks to decide and my three top choices all have yet to inform me about money (which is probably THE primary factor for me)!!! Either way, congratulations to you all and maybe I'll meet some of you next year.

From what I've heard from HGSE and people on here who have asked the admissions office, award letters should be sent out (though I don't know if that means email or snail mail) at the end of next week or first week of April.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping my own thread (again, I know, sorry) to post a link to the program's facebook group, in case any rogue 2013 HDP-ers happen to stumble upon this forum in search of support :)

https://www.facebook...90109494346284/

Edited by Gvh

Hey guys, I'm a current HDP master's student. I chose it over Stanford POLS, Penn, and Columbia. I have to say this year has been one of the best years of my life, if not the best. Congratulations on getting in and welcome to HGSE. If you have any questions, go ahead and post them here.

Edited by runnerT

Hey RunnerT! Thanks for posting, it's good to hear you've had a good time :) I'll start with a question...

Have you cross registered at all with other Harvard schools or at MIT? If so how did you find that process? I'm totally lost with the credit conversion thing with MIT.

Hey, unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the credit conversion process with other schools. I wanted to make the most of HGSE so I took all of my classes there. However, cross-registering at other Harvard schools and other universities in the area is not uncommon.