I haven't found a thread for Toledo on here. Does anyone have information about the city that they'd be willing to share with me? I'm going to contact the current students in my new program, but the more advice I can get, the better!

Toledo is... Well, interesting. At first glance, it's a total shithole. And that mostly holds true. However, you can find really interesting little places here and there. I'd say Toledo is the epitome of having to really search for, find, and then stay in the places you enjoy.

Toledo is... Well, interesting. At first glance, it's a total shithole. And that mostly holds true. However, you can find really interesting little places here and there. I'd say Toledo is the epitome of having to really search for, find, and then stay in the places you enjoy.

That's the impression I got from it when I was there for my interview. Do you know of any good (or halfway decent) coffee shops in Toledo? The current students in my new program said that Toledo is very much lacking in good coffee. That makes me so sad, but at least it will be easier to live on my stipend if I'm making my own coffee rather than indulging in deliciousness all the time.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 4:16 PM, RebeccaPsych said:

*Bump*  Any updates on Toledo since 2012?

I've lived in Toledo most of my life. To answer the question about coffee, I'd try Rustbelt, which is downtown, or one town over in Perrysburg, check out Flying Joe. 

You can find reaaaally cheap housing downtown, but it's not very safe and it wont be pretty. If you have the money and value safety, I'd look for a rental in Sylvania, which is a pretty safe suburb of Toledo. I don't know much about the housing options immediately around the UT campus but I'm sure there's plenty to choose from there.

For dining, the restaurant Tekela has half-price on all alcohol and appetizers every day during happy hour. I'd also highly recommend the Indian Jewel and Rumors, both are very cheap and very delicious. Domo, Tougen and Kengo are the best sushi places here, Tougen being the least expensive of the three. There's also Food Truck Thursday downtown. Monroe street and downtown are happening places for weekend nights. Bier Stube, Bar 145 and Reset are my go-to bars. If you like craft beer, check out Black Frog Brewery and The Casual Pint. 

I would also take advantage of our many wonderful metroparks! There's Wildwood, Secor, and Oak openings is about thirty minutes away, plus many more and they're all free. The zoo is pretty nice and residents of Lucas County get in free on Monday mornings. The Toledo Art Museum has free admission, too. There's Westgate Shopping Center and Fallen Timbers if you're a mall kind of person.

Hmm what else can I say... Echoing Sobeobe, Toledo is kind of dingy and there's a real poverty problem in some areas, but if you know where to look, there are some pretty good things to do/ places to go, too. I would definitely not try to get by without a car here.

Let me know if you have questions about anything I haven't covered.

-C