SAIS decisions are out, apparently:

avr2012

Gradcafe is freaking me out. I'm going on a long lunch break. Sorry, job, I'm useless right now.

Indeed! Too bad I can't go on break yet; this thread plus my venti iced coffee have me absolutely useless for work :(

Logging into email every 5 minutes sounds relatively healthy, trust me- it could be worse!

Yeah, really. I just keep mine open and I place it underneath my other windows in a way where I can still see the top sliver of my browser..that way I can watch for the "(1)" that pops up in my gmail tab...too bad that "(1)" is usually not what I"m looking for =/

Edited by rebmaLS

HA.. When I'm at my desk I have the mail program open, every once-in-awhile a little number (1) pops up and makes the incoming mail noise. If I'm not, then I obsessively check my e-mail on my phone. Any e-mail with a school's name in it makes me jump!

I think it'll be around 4/5pm ET when the e-mails are sent out.

Is this a guess or do you have this info from someone who knows? God, this is driving me crazy.

I couldn't sleep last night even though my face needs a lot of beauty sleep. And I don't want to take a nap now cause I'm freaking myself to death. One way or another I want this to end ASAP!!!!

And 4/5 pm sounds about right since that is the same time frame that Elliott released their decisions and I don't think SAIS committee wants to be in their office when they release their decisions.

Hmm sorry I was thinking of SIPA and GWU ESIA which do list the number of applicants vs the size of the matriculated class; however, both of those range around 17-18% with much smaller class sizes compared to the 600 at SAIS so I would assume the rates are comparable.

A lot of times the schools are really sneaky about how they list that data though. They say, "This year we had X amount of applicants for only Y amount of spots" but that's not the ratio of the acceptance rate- just those who actually decide to matriculate. It seems to me that most schools don't actually want people to know their real acceptance rate.

Edited by understatement700

True but that means the "admit" rate is higher, since they are counting on not everyone accepting admission, so the % you can calculate is actually a conservative estimate of your chances--which I'd prefer over a more optimistic number.

As for SAIS stats--this is straight from their admissions page:

SAIS At A Glance

2011-2012 Student Body

• 600 full-time students in Washington, D.C.
  • 190 students in Bologna, Italy
  • 180 students in Nanjing, China
  • International students from about 70 countries comprise more than one-third of the student body
  • By Concentrations:
    Functional Studies, 60%
    Regional Studies, 40%

For SIPA:

We receive approximately 2,600 applications per year for our MIA and MPA programs. We look to enroll a class of approximately 470 new students per year.

That's true, I guess I was just trying to give a more realistic number and keep everyone's hopes up! :) In some cases if the yield rate isn't that high the admitted to the program rate vs. the matriculation rate could easily be three times as high.

But anyways, if the program is a good fit and everything else, I don't see why the admit rate should make a big deal to me personally anyway, unless I just wanted to feel that much more special about myself. Of course maybe the programs that we think are the "best fit" for us naturally have lower admit rates, ha!

So for SIPA, the enrollment is 18% of applicants. Which means that the admittance rate is higher than that, since not all of those who are admitted will actually enroll. I remember seeing on a stats sheet for the different colleges and schools at Columbia that SIPA had an acceptance rate of over 40%, but I haven't been able to find that spreadsheet. I've also heard here and elsewhere that SIPA's acceptance rate is quite high compared to other IR and PP/PA programs.

Any info on how many applications SAIS receives so we can put the enrollment numbers in a little more perspective?