Thoughts on Duke's terminal MA and UChicago's AM.

Marcone

Hey people,

I'm very excited to have been accepted to these programs and intend on studying modern and contemporary secular movements. Would love to hear if anyone already in the field has a strong opinion on which program I should go with. Financially, these are very similar and I find the faculty and available concentrations comparable re: my research interests. As far as I can tell, my ability to apply to the PhD program by petition at UChicago upon receiving my AM gives it the edge. Thanks for any feedback!

-M

Marcone,

What MA (Duke) are you referring? I assume the MA in the dept. of religion?

If so, I also have been accepted and am facing a similar decision. If it is indeed the MA in Duke's religion department, consider that it's geared more toward research. It requires less courses, but substantial writing (ca. 70 pg. thesis).

Edited by jdmhotness

Yes, it's the dept. of religion. As an English undergrad, I can go either way on the research emphasis as I could use the extra coursework as much as I need research experience.

Yes, it's the dept. of religion. As an English undergrad, I can go either way on the research emphasis as I could use the extra coursework as much as I need research experience.

PM'ing you now.

I wonder if either of you would be able to tell me if the terminal Masters in religion offers any financial support? Have a child who may be looking there in the next year.

I'm not sure about Chicago, but my undergrad advisers in the Religious Studies department did talk highly of Duke's MA. They told me it's a great place to get loads of research experience, and that it's a great feeder-school for PhD's.

I'm not sure about Chicago, but my undergrad advisers in the Religious Studies department did talk highly of Duke's MA. They told me it's a great place to get loads of research experience, and that it's a great feeder-school for PhD's.

I do hope to get lots of research while there :).

I'm new (and painfully late) to this to this website. I wish I knew there was a community of people online pulling their hair out right along with me through this process. Anyways, I just accepted Duke's MA offer today. I was going to try and wait out UVA, but Duke was my number one and a better fit so I figured why wait.