Wait List

jpf1282

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

I'm waitlisted at Minnesota and in at chapel hill. It is unlikely i will attend unless I get in no where else.

I will notify them as soon as I can!!

UNC wouldn't be bad if you're interested in the intersection of religion and family. Lisa Pearce is pretty good. But since you're interested in religion and politics, I'd probably be hoping for Indiana (Steensland & Clem Brooks). Penn with Melissa Wilde wouldn't be too bad either.

Best of luck!

The only school that's officially waitlisted me is Indiana - I'm really not sure if I'd be interested in their program if they accepted me, so I'm not going to outright decline just yet. However, I'm not heartbroken, if a little puzzled given how clear I thought the fit was and how far above their medians my numbers were. I'm pretty happy with my choices already, although part of me is still hoping for one of the places they're always hyping on orgtheory.net (i.e., Stanford or Northwestern).

I'm still guessing that I'm probably on a waitlist at Stanford, Chicago, Harvard, Northwestern, and maybe Columbia based on nonresponse - the only program that I've applied to that hasn't been accepting and rejecting people (going off of Grad Cafe) is the MIT Business School Econ Soc program, although I doubt that there's many posters on here who've applied there given where everyone's interests seem to lie (please correct me if that's wrong!).

The only school that's officially waitlisted me is Indiana - I'm really not sure if I'd be interested in their program if they accepted me, so I'm not going to outright decline just yet. However, I'm not heartbroken, if a little puzzled given how clear I thought the fit was and how far above their medians my numbers were. I'm pretty happy with my choices already, although part of me is still hoping for one of the places they're always hyping on orgtheory.net (i.e., Stanford or Northwestern).

Does indiana post their medians? I thought it just said "you will be well-served by having over the 60th percentile in all sections" type of thing.

I distinctly recall seeing medians for Indiana (I think it was around 1250 combined GRE and 3.5ish GPA) on their website sometime last year, but I can't find them anymore and am too lazy to check the Wayback Machine... but I'm fairly sure they're around there - I would imagine that Indiana's medians are probably a little below Chapel Hill and Duke (given slightly less university prestige and a location that probably turns off a lot of applicants), which are posted on their respective graduate school's websites.

I distinctly recall seeing medians for Indiana (I think it was around 1250 combined GRE and 3.5ish GPA) on their website sometime last year, but I can't find them anymore and am too lazy to check the Wayback Machine... but I'm fairly sure they're around there - I would imagine that Indiana's medians are probably a little below Chapel Hill and Duke (given slightly less university prestige and a location that probably turns off a lot of applicants), which are posted on their respective graduate school's websites.

I wonder why they took it off. Those seem about rightish, though I would expect their gre to be a bit higher. But, after talking with the DGS and a few current grads, they seem to not put much stock in stats beyond a certain "cut-off."

im in at Texas and Notre Dame...focusing in soc. of religion. it will be nice to find out about my two waitlist schools. I know of a few people who got in at UNC and told them no already. Although I am happy with my two acceptances, it never hurts to have a third or fourth option. Im keeping my fingers crossed. We'll see.

I'm not sure you can beat Texas if you're interested in sociology of religion (although Duke would be a fair rival). They have the best of both worlds: high in overall prestige, and very high in sub-field prestige. Ellison published 3 articles in thelast JSSR edition alone. All with grad students, I believe. Some of their soc. of religion grad students come out with 10+ publications and their placement rate is really good. Congrats on your acceptance! If I were in your position, I wouldn't even be thinking about UNC or UCSB unless you're using them as bargaining chips.

I'm not sure you can beat Texas if you're interested in sociology of religion (although Duke would be a fair rival). They have the best of both worlds: high in overall prestige, and very high in sub-field prestige. Ellison published 3 articles in that last JSSR edition alone. All with grad students, I believe. Some of their soc. of religion grad students come out with 10+ publications and their placement rate is really good. Congrats on your acceptance! If I were in your position, I wouldn't even be thinking about UNC or UCSB unless you're using them as bargaining chips.

Having visited UT and hated it even when it was my dream school last year, I would be more cautious than that. It's not a great environment for some. Especially find out if you have to compete with other grads for funding... schools that make you do that tend to have a MUCH less supportive air about them. I wouldn't want to go somewhere where I'd have to step over others to succeed. Prestige is good, but there are other things to keep in mind.

Back to the topic at hand: should I just assume I'm on the waitlist for UCSD at this point? I haven't heard anything but many people have.

thanks for the advice concerning UT. Im going to visit in a few weeks, that should give me a better idea.

If you haven't heard anything and a large number of people have...that generally means you are on the waitlist. Some schools just wait it out and don't notify applicants that they are indeed on the waitlist.

All good points Tritonetelephone. Departmental dynamics (in my opinion) are probably one of the most important things you should consider about a school. If you're looking at straight production for SOR, Texas is rivaled by few/none. If the department is extremely competitive, though, your time there might not be enjoyable. I guess it depends on what you'd like to do with your career. If you'd like to focus on (soc of religion) research and want to end up working at a strong R1 school, UT should be able to provide you with the opportunities to do so. If you're not all that interested in the prestige of the school you end up being employed by (focusing on this does seem a bit silly to me), UT probably doesn't have many advantages over the other schools you're considering.

Best of luck with your decision JPF

Thanks, JPF and Nick. The competing-for-funding thing is just a lesson I learned when visiting a school this last weekend. Several of the grads talked about it, and they explained that it makes a big difference. They don't compete and were really happy and had good relationships with each other. The school might not be as prestigious as UT, but they still have awesome pubs/job placement stats. So remember that good dynamics and career success are not necessarily a trade-off! Just go visit and see what fits you best. Good luck!