Wait List

jpf1282

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool!!! Is it a top choice now?

Yeah, but it's still only a top choice. I need to visit everywhere, but Delaware's "intangibles," like student-faculty relations and overall support, are going to be very hard to beat. Like I said, their students have plenty of opportunities to publish and their job placement rates are excellent, so prestige isn't necessarily the best predictor of career success.

Yeah. It was great!

Congrats! I'm glad to hear you liked it--thats what matters.

I'm visiting Notre Dame and Texas in march. I don't think I will be able to visit UNC unless they take me off the waitlist well before April 15th.

Congrats! I'm glad to hear you liked it--thats what matters.

I'm visiting Notre Dame and Texas in march. I don't think I will be able to visit UNC unless they take me off the waitlist well before April 15th.

Thanks!!!

I hadn't thought about visiting my waitlisted schools... I probably won't either. Seems like kind of a waste.

Thanks!!!

I hadn't thought about visiting my waitlisted schools... I probably won't either. Seems like kind of a waste.

yea, a big waste of time. good luck with the rest of your applicants. if you hear anything from your waitlisters, come back and post it here.

I feel ya - I have a feeling that I'm on 5-6 waitlists this year (including the two that have explicitly told me I'm waitlisted) based on what's been posted on this website. I guess something about my applicaiton just screamed "waitlist"... in a normal year I think schools send out significantly more acceptances than waitlists. As I've already speculated on this forum, I think this year is particularly bad for waitlists since schools really can't afford to take the chance of overenrollment (and many of us have applied to more schools than we would have in a normal year).

Does anyone know how long wait-listed folks are going to have to wait? Are we going to have to wait until April 15 to get final decisions from some schools, or will some notify us in March?

Depends. Michigan told me Mid-april, meaning they want to know EXACTLY how many are coming before they make any new offers. Others said as soon as they can. I had a few current grads at my undergrad say that some people were notified in the summer, which makes it sound like someone dropped out, the department scrounged up enough funding for another offer, etc.

I think it really varies, but I am not even considering the schools I am waitlisted for, partly because they're not high on my list and partly because I don't think they will let me know either way until after I need to make a decision.

I was just waitlisted by Indiana, and I'm still waiting on decisions from two more schools (assuming I am on a waitlist for another school that has already sent out acceptances & rejections via the results board). What do people do about waitlisted schools? Do you visit just in case they can offer you a spot so that you at least know for your decision-making purposes? Or, do you wait to visit in case they cannot offer you a spot and you don't want to get your hopes up? I know we're a long way from April 15, but it is coming up...

Too many decisions and unknowns at this point!! :!:

I just found out that I was wait listed at Notre Dame, and I'm assuming that I am at Indiana, given that I have not heard anything from them. Is this a safe assumption? I'm pretty happy that I am wait listed at Notre Dame, rather than being flat out rejected. I contacted the graduate director there, and he told me that my application was rather competitive, but suggested that I send a more research oriented writing sample, as it would help in offering me a position should one arise.

I got waitlisted at Duke. I received my letter more than two weeks ago. I just heard from Harvard this week and it was a no.

still waiting to hear from Chicago and Indiana. Is it normal to have to wait so long???

It looked to me like Indiana notified all accepted/rejected people at about the same time... I would contact them. You're probably on a WL.

I don't like it one bit when schools that WL just don't notify you. I'm looking at you, UCSD! :evil:

You were right. I got home after work today and saw a letter telling me I've made the waitlist. This sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

If you live close enough to UNC I guess you could drive there and save a few bucks.

JPF, Did you visit Notre Dame yet? I am presently waitlisted at Notre Dame and it is my top choice. I am wondering when we waitlisters might hear something.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortuantely no... this has certainly been a factor prolonging my decision making process. Northwestern has been teasing me with the prospect of something opening up, but going on comparing the number of offers posted on this board to the size of their target cohort, I think they actually might have seriously underestimated the number of people who would attend.

Is northwestern your top choice? Where else did you get admitted, and if you don't mind what's the ranked order of those schools? if you don't want to post those answer publicly pm me... i'm desperate!