Wait List

jpf1282

I just asked UMass (very politely) for two extra days and they granted me one. I won't be getting back from visiting USC until 4/14, so I'll take what I can get. Is anyone else thinking about asking for more time?

If I were to get in, I would try to ask for a few days. It is better than rescinding a decision.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is northwestern your top choice? Where else did you get admitted, and if you don't mind what's the ranked order of those schools? if you don't want to post those answer publicly pm me... i'm desperate!

Not sure how this will help, but anyway...

Northwestern would be *a* top choice - but it's not far enough ahead that I'd accept without a visit. I'm also waitlisted at Chicago (w/ the usual MAPSS offer @ about 13k tuition) - once again, it might be better for me and it was higher on my initial list when I started this process, but I really don't know how successful the recent reforms in their PhD program will be and the waitlist letter didn't even promise a full stipend. I was informally waitlisted at Stanford but they just informed me that they won't be extending an offer. I was accepted at Columbia for a terminal MA but it was pretty clear that there would be liability for tuition there (and not a single person from the department has come forward to contact me... not a good sign). Since they're not offering funding, I don't see any reason to even bother contacting them to decline. And Indiana waitlisted me, too - a real surprise to everyone in my department who encouraged me to apply there as a "safety" (I told them they shouldn't bother extending an offer).

My choices were UNC and Berkeley (both of which I've turned down largely for funding/support related reasons, although I'll admit that the more and more I read the rumor mill the more and more I question the wisdom of turning down top five programs so fast) and Duke and Cornell. Right now I'd say Cornell is higher than Duke on my list, but I have a little more investigating to do.

Still not sure how this would help you - was there something more specific you wanted me to tell you?

On Monday, I got a letter from this university that said my chances of getting off the waitlist were about 75%. Today, I got an email that my chances are "pretty low" unless one person drops from the waitlist. So close yet so far away ..

I'm determined to improve my app for next year though. For now I drink but next year I will CONQUER THE WORLD. Or at least GET INTO GRADUATE SCHOOL.