Honolulu, HI

Guest Guest

I'm currently in HI. Craigslist is unfortunately going to be your best bet...

You may have to come here and stay at a hotel or hostel for a week while you find a place. That is if you want to see the place before you sign for it, which is recommended. Things turnover here really quickly and most postings on craigslist are for in the immediate future, so it makes planning really difficult unfortunately...

I'm currently in HI. Craigslist is unfortunately going to be your best bet...

You may have to come here and stay at a hotel or hostel for a week while you find a place. That is if you want to see the place before you sign for it, which is recommended. Things turnover here really quickly and most postings on craigslist are for in the immediate future, so it makes planning really difficult unfortunately...

Thanks for getting back to me.

That is a bummer, but something I figured would happen. I  am thinking I am going to have to sublet for a couple months too, because my fiance will be coming to live with me, but due to work obligations on her part she won't be able to arrive until November-ish. Subletting is an option I reckon though, right?

Also, how do you get to campus? Where I currently live I bike everywhere, everyday (I am one of those crazies with 4 lights on their bikes and waterproof pants and panniers). However, I am wondering if that will be practical, or safe, in Hawaii. If so, I figure I could live farther away from campus (~10 miles) and still commute everyday. Would living farther away bring down the cost of rent?

Yes I know people sublet, however to the extent that it's a formal situation all the time? No. But for most people it works out.

A lot of people bike to campus. I don't know about 10 miles away though...you gotta remember this is Hawaii, 10 miles is pretty far out in the scope of things.

I think you'd be able to find a decent priced place around campus, maybe 2-4 miles away. Definitely bike-able. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

Lurker, now poster. Just got accepted to UHM and so excited! Someone told me that it's nearly impossible to get housing before you're actually in-town because people don't wanna deal with "outsiders" (the theory being that you might bail out last-minute). I know that the standard of living is a little lower there, so your money won't go as far. I'm thinking to show up ~3 weeks before the semester starts with a few places in mind, maybe hostel it for a bit. Not sure what to do about furniture, etc?

Yep that's true.

Furniture, yeah options are limited. Depends how pricey you want to go. Target is a good option for smaller cheaper things. There are big name stores like Ashley Furniture or HomeWorld...

Other than that, check craigslist or there are some discount furniture places that sell used hotel furniture, etc. that are reasonable and decent.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on the acceptance to UHM! It is a unique school that I experienced amazing support from classmates, friends and professors during my undergraduate years. There are many furniture places and you can peruse online on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=furniture&find_loc=Honolulu%2C+HI&ns=1. As mentioned by the poster prior to my post, there will be people who sell their furniture on Craigslist, so always be on the lookout!

Hey guys

Lurker, now poster. Just got accepted to UHM and so excited! Someone told me that it's nearly impossible to get housing before you're actually in-town because people don't wanna deal with "outsiders" (the theory being that you might bail out last-minute). I know that the standard of living is a little lower there, so your money won't go as far. I'm thinking to show up ~3 weeks before the semester starts with a few places in mind, maybe hostel it for a bit. Not sure what to do about furniture, etc?

• 3 years later...

I am considering an offer from UH Manoa for this fall. Does anyone here have any recent info regarding housing, biking distance from campus (not taking a car to start), where to search, how the on-campus grad student housing is for the first year, basically anything at all! Thanks for your input- trying to evaluate my final decision!

Not quite the experience you’re looking to draw on, but I was actually stationed in Hawaii (Schofield Barracks) for three years before returning to my education. In my (very different) experience, you’ll need a car. Traffic sucks, but so does local transportation. 

Hey! I just accepted a position at UH Manoa and I skyped with the grad advisor about housing. She said that there's some on campus grad housing but most students don't use it, instead most students get roommates and find a house to live in. After doing some research on craigslist, zwillow, ext, it seems that if you want to live by yourself, studio and 1 bedrooms cost ~1,000-1,500 a month in and right around Manoa valley. If you live with roommates, it's more like 700-900/ month. The traffic apparently sucks so I would try to live within walking/biking distance of the school (and apparently the busses are free but on "aloha" time which means you'll be late). Hope this helps?

Thanks to both of you- if I accept the offer I think I will contact some other grad students in the department and ask them how they dealt with it. Anything on Craig's List can be risky to organize from afar. I am hoping to just find a furnished room (hopefully in a place with other grad students) for my first year while I get my bearings. Definitely a challenge...

Hey I am taking a shot at this again- bumping up my former post. Any and all info about housing in Honolulu welcome. I know about Craigslist, but would appreciate info about which neighborhoods to live in, any other online sources for roommates, etc. I am going in blind here!

Has anyone taken a shot at emailing current grad students in their department about how they managed it? Or discussing housing with their adviser? So far the discussion has been all about astrophysics...  but this being Hawaii and a rather unique situation (can't just pack up the U-Haul and go...), I thought I might ask some more practical questions.

Thanks for any ideas.

Hi LP12,

I recommend that you look into East-West Center, many graduate students stay in this housing. I also recommend reaching out to the university https://www.eastwestcenter.org/about-ewc/housing/student-housing regarding graduate housing because there always seemed to be multiple buildings across the road from Holmes Hall and Hamilton Library dedicated to graduate housing.

If you are looking for housing off campus, look into:

• Manoa (Very close to campus)
  • Mccully/Moiliili (good connection on bus to school/very easy commute) (Near King St)
  • Kapiolani Blvd  (good connection on bus to school/very easy commute)
  • Areas surrounding Don Quijote (Many Apartments surrounding this grocery store, very easy shopping and good place to stay)
  • Areas surrounding Ala Moana Shopping Center/Waikiki (Many Apartments surrounding this mall, very easy shopping and good place to stay)
  • Makiki (may be a bit farther but still in town, nice area)
  • Kaimuki (Also in surrounding areas near campus, not so familiar with)
  • Wilhelmina Rise (Also in surrounding areas near campus, not so familiar with)

The areas listed up to Makiki I am familiar with, I am not so familiar with Kaimuki and Wilhelmina Rise, but they are close to campus in car and if you need to take the bus. I am very familiar with Kapiolani Blvd/ Ala Moana/ Waikiki/ Don Quijote (grocery store) areas. These places have very easy commute to the campus and offer easy living without a car. If you can find a place in Manoa great! Also keep in mind that this is not continental US, and all areas listed are relatively near the campus because all are in Honolulu and Honolulu is not as spread out as cities on the mainland.

I am from Oahu, and completed my BS degree at UH Manoa. I did not live in town though, so I feel that all these areas will be pretty easy to get around and safe. Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have about UH Manoa or Hawaii. BTW, I believe the Physics/Astronomy departments at UH Manoa are excellent.

38 minutes ago, eeIntern1 said:

Hi LP12,

I recommend that you look into East-West Center, many graduate students stay in this housing. I also recommend reaching out to the university https://www.eastwestcenter.org/about-ewc/housing/student-housing regarding graduate housing because there always seemed to be multiple buildings across the road from Holmes Hall and Hamilton Library dedicated to graduate housing.

If you are looking for housing off campus, look into:

• Manoa (Very close to campus)
  • Mccully/Moiliili (good connection on bus to school/very easy commute) (Near King St)
  • Kapiolani Blvd  (good connection on bus to school/very easy commute)
  • Areas surrounding Don Quijote (Many Apartments surrounding this grocery store, very easy shopping and good place to stay)
  • Areas surrounding Ala Moana Shopping Center/Waikiki (Many Apartments surrounding this mall, very easy shopping and good place to stay)
  • Makiki (may be a bit farther but still in town, nice area)
  • Kaimuki (Also in surrounding areas near campus, not so familiar with)
  • Wilhelmina Rise (Also in surrounding areas near campus, not so familiar with)

The areas listed up to Makiki I am familiar with, I am not so familiar with Kaimuki and Wilhelmina Rise, but they are close to campus in car and if you need to take the bus. I am very familiar with Kapiolani Blvd/ Ala Moana/ Waikiki/ Don Quijote (grocery store) areas. These places have very easy commute to the campus and offer easy living without a car. If you can find a place in Manoa great! Also keep in mind that this is not continental US, and all areas listed are relatively near the campus because all are in Honolulu and Honolulu is not as spread out as cities on the mainland.

I am from Oahu, and completed my BS degree at UH Manoa. I did not live in town though, so I feel that all these areas will be pretty easy to get around and safe. Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have about UH Manoa or Hawaii. BTW, I believe the Physics/Astronomy departments at UH Manoa are excellent.

Thank you! So helpful... exactly what I needed.

I am on the cusp of accepting this offer and excited to spend the next 5 year in Hawaii... and yes, the Astrophysics department is excellent. I'm thrilled.  

I may have more questions for you. I really appreciate your help here. Thanks again.

No problem! Glad I could be of some assistance, let me know if there is anything else I can answer.

I am going to miss Hawaii so much, best place with best climate now I am sadly now realizing!

Yes thanks! I saw that thread as well. 

One thing is for sure, everyone who leaves Hawaii seems to miss it:) 

Looking forward to accepting the offer more and more. The detailed info I received here today will help greatly in figuring out the housing thing... many thanks to all.

On 3/16/2018 at 2:50 PM, LP12 said:

Yes thanks! I saw that thread as well. 

One thing is for sure, everyone who leaves Hawaii seems to miss it:) 

Looking forward to accepting the offer more and more. The detailed info I received here today will help greatly in figuring out the housing thing... many thanks to all.

This is certainly true for me. Getting job at UH after PhD=dream

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 12:46 PM, LP12 said:

Hey I am taking a shot at this again- bumping up my former post. Any and all info about housing in Honolulu welcome. I know about Craigslist, but would appreciate info about which neighborhoods to live in, any other online sources for roommates, etc. I am going in blind here!

Has anyone taken a shot at emailing current grad students in their department about how they managed it? Or discussing housing with their adviser? So far the discussion has been all about astrophysics...  but this being Hawaii and a rather unique situation (can't just pack up the U-Haul and go...), I thought I might ask some more practical questions.

Thanks for any ideas.

Hey, I'll also be starting this program in the fall and am trying to figure out housing. Feel free to email me (clbrinkm@uvm.edu) or facebook me if you want to chat about anything related to this/share info/talk about moving there let me know. I'm currently waiting to see if some of my friends will move here with me, but if not and even if they do I'm probably looking for more people to share housing with. 

On 4/3/2018 at 3:45 PM, Spacey_Casey said:

Hey, I'll also be starting this program in the fall and am trying to figure out housing. Feel free to email me (clbrinkm@uvm.edu) or facebook me if you want to chat about anything related to this/share info/talk about moving there let me know. I'm currently waiting to see if some of my friends will move here with me, but if not and even if they do I'm probably looking for more people to share housing with. 

Thanks. Will do. I am making my final decision by the end of this week. April 15th is my deadline!