Ford School (Michigan)

SRILO

I've been searching for GSI positions all day and here are the problems I encountered:

1. The Ford GSI application deadline was yesterday so that is no longer an option.
  2. The other departments state clearly that preference is given to their own students (I checked history and poli sci since those are my undergraduate majors).

Is anyone applying to the David Bohnett Foundation fellowship? I'm planning on submitting an application even though I think my chances are small. I'm an international student and the website says preference will be given to Michigan residents.

Thanks a lot TypeA for the helpful information.

I've been searching for GSI positions all day and here are the problems I encountered:

1. The Ford GSI application deadline was yesterday so that is no longer an option.
  2. The other departments state clearly that preference is given to their own students (I checked history and poli sci since those are my undergraduate majors).

I do not think prospective students could have applied for Ford GSI students. The best bet is to look in one's undergrad subject departments.

I'm a second year Ford School student. I will try to revisit this thread to answer any questions that y'all have about the Ford School, the University of Michigan and Ann Arbor. Please don't PM me because I never check those messages and am very bad about replying to them. Besides, it's best if you ask your question in public, barring something super private, so that everyone can learn from the answer.

As far as compensation, I'm not 100% positive, but I think that all 0.5 FTE positions that are set at GEO (the grad student union) rates include a tuition waiver, stipend, and health insurance.

I believe all GSI and GSSA positions include a tuition waiver, stipend and health insurance (I don't know enough about the GSRA positions, though I imagine the individual listings would tell you). The stipend amount varies based on the FTE. I have a .5 FTE position, meaning 20 hours of work a week, for which I am paid roughly $2150 a month pre-tax. Sweet deal. Well, except the whole working 20 hours a week thing...I believe .5 is the highest FTE. Most GSI positions seem to be around .2 to .3.

1. Yeah, though a few individuals in the first year class will invariably obtain GSI positions for their second term (primarily for classes that they took and did well in). Not too many though, so don't rely on it. I'd say 4 or 5.

2. They all say that, though the reality can be different. For example, if you are fluent in a language (RPCV perhaps?) then you might be able to obtain a GSI position teaching that language. I don't think, however, that you should presume that you'd be competitive in any of the social sciences departments, as they have their own Ph.D. students.

I'd encourage you to also look for GSRA (Graduate Student Research Assistant) and GSSA (Graduate Student Staff Assistant) positions. Though GSRA positions tend to be more accepting of Ph.D. candidates and GSSA positions are rare.

Is anyone applying to the David Bohnett Foundation fellowship? I'm planning on submitting an application even though I think my chances are small. I'm an international student and the website says preference will be given to Michigan residents.

I get the feeling that the Bohnett Fellows are all Michigan residents. It's clearly a very strong preference.

Are any out of staters going to preview weekend? Friday or Saturday? Both? I'd really like to attend, but flying into Detroit has presented to be more cumbersome than I expected.

I'm getting in to Detroit at 6:30 am on Friday. Still figuring out logistics of getting to UMich...

I've had okay experience with https://www.metroairporttaxi.org/ though they are $50 plus tip. Otherwise, I'd actually recommend hitting up Priceline for a rental car. I doubt it'd be much more expensive than $100 (round trip using Metro Airport Taxi) and you could use it to explore Ann Arbor.

How walkable is Ann Arbor vs do I need a rental car to get around?

How walkable is Ann Arbor vs do I need a rental car to get around?

Depends on what hotel you'll be staying in. Most of the hotels are not within walking distance of campus. The bus system, the Ride (www.theride.org), is great. You'd have to pay for the bus system while here for spring preview, but it is free for students with a M-Card (U-M student ID).

Hi guys.. I am admitted for ford MPP and also Maxwell syracuse, MPA, but I confuse about deciding which one I will take. The dillema is between leaving my family, children in Indonesia for two years, or pursuing my objective to apply ford, which is to experience more professional life in USA (as maxwell MPA is just one year without internship). My funding is not including funding for family, while I only can afford to take my family for less than a year in United States.

Are any out of staters going to preview weekend? Friday or Saturday? Both? I'd really like to attend, but flying into Detroit has presented to be more cumbersome than I expected.

I'm taking a red-eye in to Detroit. Will be landing around 6:30 am that Friday at DTW. I'm planning on renting a car and can give a ride if anyone's landing around the same time.

I know some of you are still figuring out funding, so I wanted to post a fellowship opportunity I discovered at CRCMich.org, which is Citizens Research Council of Michigan. It's a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy analysis group that focuses on state and local government in Michigan.

The fellowship requires a 30-hour work week in one of their offices, the closest of which is Livonia, MI (about 30 minutes away from campus). It pays up to $25k/year in tuition and $17k/year in stipend.

Here's the fellowship app: http://www.crcmich.org/information/fellowship.pdf

Apps are apparently due by March 31, which is in TWO DAYS, and it requires official transcripts. Not sure if you can get a mini-extension, or email/fax/overnight, but this is a pretty hefty fellowship with a serious opportunity to get experience.

Hi!!! Is anyone applying to GSI or GSSA positions? I'm trying to apply to a few GSSA that are due tomorrow but I don't one requisite: "a letter or e-mail from your academic advisor confirming that you are in good academic standing, not on fellowship support, and are approved for a 50% appointment." I have wrote the Ford admissions staff twice but have not gotten a response. What are you doing about this?

Based on the wording, that may be a department that is only seeking applicants who were designated GSI/GSSA positions as part of their funding package. But for what it's worth, I needed a similar letter for the psych department: Applicants not enrolled in the Psychology Department (or an affiliated program) must ALSO attach... Letter from a representative of your program of enrollment who can confirm that you are in good standing and that teaching will not interfere with progress towards your degree.

I coordinated it through the School of Public Health (they admitted me sooner, rolling admissions), and the registrar provided me with a letter that reads as follows:

To Whom it may concern:

This is to certify that TypeA (UMID: 12345678) has been admitted to the University of MIchigan School og Public Health. Ms. TypeA is expected to begin her studies in September 2012. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I can be reached at (phone number) or (email).

Since I'm not actually enrolled yet, she couldn't confirm that I'm "in good standing" or that the position wouldn't be an "interference" so in the letter of recommendation that was also required for students outside the Psych department, I had my recommender touch on my success in my current full-time work/part-time student schedule.

Method, that fellowship sounds like a heck of an opportunity! But right now I can't wrap my head around a 30-hour workweek and a full (daytime) courseload. I did set up a reminder for myself to check it out next year if I choose to defer, though. :) Thanks for the tip!

ETA: Bahah. Thanks for the name catch. ;)

Edited by TypeA

Method, that fellowship sounds like a heck of an opportunity! But right now I can't wrap my head around a 30-hour workweek and a full (daytime) courseload. I did set up a reminder for myself to check it out next year if I choose to defer, though. :) Thanks for the tip!

Totally agree, it's an insanely demanding schedule! But I guess someone out there might need to do it to make ends meet. Scary! There's an also an unpaid internship opportunity that is 16-20 hours a week. I might go for it in my last year once my schedule's a lot more flexible.

I guess it turns out that Ross GBR and Ford Preview are the same weekend, so I will be attending Ford events on Friday. Hope to see many of you there, I'll try to take a few notes for those who aren't able to make it.

If anyone wants to tailgate Saturday for the Spring Football game at the Ross BUS let me know!