Ford School (Michigan)

SRILO

Hey all! Current Fordie here. I remember stalking these forums during the application process, so I'd be glad to help in answering questions about UMich/Ford..

Sorry, no idea exactly when they'll be releasing decisions... word on the street is it's today!

I hope it is today, the waiting is driving me crazy (I'm also waiting on GPPI and NYU Wagner). I have a couple of questions (in case they decide to accept me):

1. One of the things I would like to do in my MPP is strengthen my quant skills (since I have almost none). I took differential calculus, statistics (for social sciences) and I'm currently taking intro to micro, but I'm still worried about not being able to handle the coursework, is there a math preparation course during the summer or something like that? do you think someone with my background can handle the quant of the school?
  2. How doable is getting an internship during the summer for an international student? I would have no problem getting an internship in my country but what I want is to get some professional experience in the US. I'm worried that the location of Ford will affect the possibilities of landing a great internship.

Thanks for your help!!!

Just got my Email this Afternoon, accepted. Waiting on funding from Ford but now need to somehow decide between GPPI, Harris, Ford, GWU, and UMD. lot to think about in the next 4 weeks.

but for March Madness Im decided, Go Hoyas!

Thanks eigenvector!

Am I looking at this right? http://www.ro.umich.edu/tuition/tuition-fees.php#fullterm

So, tuition and fees are $10k+ /term for resident, 20k+/term for non-resident? Or does "Full Term" mean three terms? Three terms/academic year... So, $57k for one year of out-of-state tuition and fees? That's got to be wrong...

Thanks eigenvector!

Am I looking at this right? http://www.ro.umich....es.php#fullterm

So, tuition and fees are $10k+ /term for resident, 20k+/term for non-resident? Or does "Full Term" mean three terms? Three terms/academic year... So, $57k for one year of out-of-state tuition and fees? That's got to be wrong...

I believe Michigan is semester system so a year would be around $38k for out-of-state and $21k for Michigan residents. (Of course this is only the tuition aspect)

Edited by kelvinv

Michigan operates with two main four-month terms (Fall and Winter). The remaining four months of the year are split into two two-month terms (Spring/Summer), but those are irrelevant to Ford, since students have summer internships. I don't believe Ford offers Spring/Summer classes.

.. or what kelvinv said. :)

Edited by TypeA

I think you're only in school for 2 of the 3 terms though, one of the is summer. TypeA can probably give us the right answer lol, but I think just double the numbers you have. 20k a year for resident, 40k a year for non-resident.

Also in! I attended UMich for undergrad, so I'm happy to answer any questions about Ann Arbor and such.

Hey TypeA,

What's the average rent / living costs in Ann Arbor? I didn't see any info on Ford's site. Maybe I'm overlooking it.

It really depends on where (how close to campus) and how (studio/single/shared?) you want to live. Last year I had a double right next to campus for $550/person/month before utilities, but that's practically unheard of. I would ballpark $700-900/month before utilities for a nice but modest single, depending on location.

The bad news is that leases in Ann Arbor become available in November, so prime locations are typically gone by now--but sometimes prices come down as landlords get desperate for residents.

Here's the U's resource for off-campus housing: http://offcampus.hou...du/lt/index.cfm

For what it's worth, I chatted with a former GSI of mine, and he said that a lot of grad students live in Kerrytown and the Old West Side, or very south of campus (near/moderately south of campus is glutted with undergrads).

Edited by TypeA