Thanking recommenders

gfl212

I have officially accepted an offer of admission so I guess my application process is officially over! I now would like to send something to each of my recommenders to thank them for their help, but I am not sure what.

I was thinking of sending flowers or boxes of chocolates..

What do people generally do to thank their recommenders?

Thanks for reading!

good question, I was actually just going to send them an email, but now I think I should probably buy some chocolates...

or is that too much?

what does everyone else think?

I am going to send a hand written letter to each recommender, with a thoughtful (but inexpensive) gift. However, I have know most of my recommenders 4+ years in a mixture of settings (a couple came to my wedding).

-J

I was wondering the same thing!

I already picked out cards and plan to write letters/notes when everything is done but I was wondering about a gift. I feel like they did a lot for me (and I bugged them quite a bit) during the process so I was thinking that I should add something else. The problem is, I don't know what would be appropriate or if I should even add one at all. :wacko: I thought about gift cards but they are sort of impersonal and can be expensive...

Have others given gifts and what types of gifts have you given?

Gift cards don't need to be expensive -- I think $10-15 to Starbucks or some such would be appreciated, but not enough to make anyone uncomfortable. I expected one of my recommendors to be uncomfortable accepting a gift, and I was right, but it turned out OK. The other two had no problems with it -- but I think they were more used to being given gifts (i.e. had mentored more students).

I meet my recommenders once in a while for lunch and bought them a nice personal gift releated to their research. They supported me and I support them every year with a presentation at thier symposioum. Thats the advantage of a small college, you are not only a number!

Somewhere else on the site I read that somebody bought their recommenders mugs from the school they ended up going to. I think I'm going to do that, though of course I've already thanked everybody and updated them in an email...and sent a holiday card back in Dec. to the one prof who helped me out most of all.

Somewhere else on the site I read that somebody bought their recommenders mugs from the school they ended up going to. I think I'm going to do that, though of course I've already thanked everybody and updated them in an email...and sent a holiday card back in Dec. to the one prof who helped me out most of all.

If it's okay I'm going to steal this idea :P

If it's okay I'm going to steal this idea :P

If you REALLY want them to have something unique, might I suggest a Zazzle mug, with your chosen school's emblem on one side, and perhaps a personal message on the other.

I sent handwritten notes and a small gift. I don't think it's too much, especially if you got accepted!

I also gave small gifts and handwritten notes after the whole process was done. I sent updates as results came in, but I was quite close to my recommenders.

While I tend to just email my thanks to people I have only met once or those with whom I do not have sustained contact, I do think a hand written note is a nice gesture for LOR writers and other longtime contacts.

Like emmm, I sent email updates throughout the admissions process, so a handwritten letter at the end was good for a special "closing" thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I probably OD-d on the thanking, but, once I'd submitted everything, I sent all my recommenders a gift (tried to think of something each would like--just chose a book for each one) and a thank you note. Now that it's all over, I sent them a more generalized thank you note for all the help over the course of my undergrad career + app process. Maybe it's too much thanking, but I know they did a lot of work for me, so I want to show appreciation :)

One of my recommenders is in another country. I want to send him a card and a small gift for his desk, but I don't have his address. Well, I do have his office address (corporate), but I'm apprehensive about sending it there unannounced because it may be uncomfortable for him...

Did anyone use a personal address for their recommenders? How does one go about asking for an address while avoiding the entire "oh you don't have to send me anything!" thing?

Yeah, I second, third or fourth this quote. I'm actually on an academic exchange (what better way to spend your last semester of your undergrad, right?), so I bought all my recommenders coffee mugs from this university. One professor with whom I am particularly close, I also bought a book. Before I went away, though, I bought all of my letter writers books, because they wrote letters which enabled me to go on this exchange and get nominated for a scholarship.

I suppose it depends on how close you are with your letter writers, but conceivably you are pretty close to them because they went out of their way to write you a recommendation. At that, one which contributed to you landing a place in a graduate department. :)

Edited by waiting*it*out