poll: GPA

ohheygradschool

what is your GPA?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. what is your GPA?

• 3.1 or below

3.71 The social sciences did me in. Every b and c I've gotten have been in them. My hat is off to all of you who can figure them out.

Of course, this is all moot now as my current school does creit/ no credit. which in some ways is great, but is really not great in some other ways, like this application process. I have to say i wish they graded, because it would put me a little better off than I was, competitively speaking.

What would a 3.9 be? I'm currently on 74.

It's really dependent on the department reading your application...I was just speaking from what I've noticed and heard while studying in the US and UK. 74 is very good and nobody will care what exact GPA it correlates to. It's like the difference between an A and A+.

It's really dependent on the department reading your application...I was just speaking from what I've noticed and heard while studying in the US and UK. 74 is very good and nobody will care what exact GPA it correlates to. It's like the difference between an A and A+.

Thanks a lot :D That's the first time I've heard an actual description of what my marks mean in terms of GPA, I wasn't sure if it could be as low as 3.5 as in the USA they do the whole marking over 90% thing. Hopefully a good GPA will go some way to balance out my 610Q 690V GRE which had me fearing quantitative disaster (even though I'm a qualitative guy!).

I have a 3.75 GPA. I've always considered it kind of lame; it doesn't take much for me to get an A+ and I could have had a 4.0 - but the downgrades I have had are due to the need for an attitude adjustment. There are some professor's I'll go out of my way to please and others, well, if I have them tomorrow I'll probably drink another pint, or four, skip class and tack on a point to my very wanting 0.25 Social GPA.

Graduated with a 3.60, but was steadily around 3.50 until my very last semester senior year. Might have been higher had Russian not been my language, but probably not.

I worried about it when I was considering law school a few years ago, but I really don't think it's too important now.

I have a 3.75 GPA. I've always considered it kind of lame; it doesn't take much for me to get an A+ and I could have had a 4.0 - but the downgrades I have had are due to the need for an attitude adjustment. There are some professor's I'll go out of my way to please and others, well, if I have them tomorrow I'll probably drink another pint, or four, skip class and tack on a point to my very wanting 0.25 Social GPA.

Wow, you are absolutely right about the need for an attitude adjustment.

Thanks a lot That's the first time I've heard an actual description of what my marks mean in terms of GPA, I wasn't sure if it could be as low as 3.5 as in the USA they do the whole marking over 90% thing. Hopefully a good GPA will go some way to balance out my 610Q 690V GRE which had me fearing quantitative disaster (even though I'm a qualitative guy!).

When I studied abroad in England, they advised my US college to consider a First an A and an Upper Second an A-, Lower Second a B+/B (depending on how high) etc. Of course, my US college didn't award the A+ grade, but I'd generally see a 70 as a 3.8, and a 74 just on the 3.9/4.0 boundary.

Whoa, this poll shows that the current forum population has a bit higher grades than the one a couple months ago, if I remember accurately.

We also can't be sure everyone is telling the truth, though there's no reason to lie since it's anonymous. Nonetheless, people still lie.

We also can't be sure everyone is telling the truth, though there's no reason to lie since it's anonymous. Nonetheless, people still lie.

Nah cut em some slack Dubs! We have a lot of new members here lately and who knows, maybe they are GPA superstars :)

When I studied abroad in England, they advised my US college to consider a First an A and an Upper Second an A-, Lower Second a B+/B (depending on how high) etc. Of course, my US college didn't award the A+ grade, but I'd generally see a 70 as a 3.8, and a 74 just on the 3.9/4.0 boundary.

What would you say about a 67 at Imperial, mechanical engineering. Still a shot for a masters at the big names?

What would you say about a 67 at Imperial, mechanical engineering. Still a shot for a masters at the big names?

"Chancing" people for graduate programs is near impossible, but a 67 is still respectable and Imperial is arguably the best university for technical fields in the UK.

"Chancing" people for graduate programs is near impossible, but a 67 is still respectable and Imperial is arguably the best university for technical fields in the UK.

Yeah was mostly wondering what the gpa conversion would be and basically if it was a grade that would be acceptable to the top unis. I know that it comes down to research, SOP and fit but first that GRE and gpa barrier has to be passed :)