SLP/ Communication Sciences and Disorders Temple University Vs Lasalle

rnittlion

i was wondering what anyone has heard about these two programs as i am trying to decide between the two of them--anyone that can share personal experiences or knows about them? anybody that has been accepted to either program- are you attending?

Hi,

I've been accepted to both Temple and La Salle and am currently deciding between Temple and Maryland. I visited Temple last week and I really like the program and the current graduate students I talked to seem like they really like it also. I haven't visited La Salle, but at least from what I've heard, Temple's program is more prestigious. I'm not sure if this is accurate because it came from the graduate director at Temple but he said Temple's SLP students have better access to clinical placements throughout the city than the other local SLP programs like La Salle and West Chester.

• 1 month later...

I'm a graduate student in the Speech-Language-Hearing (speech pathology) program at Temple University. Although I realize this is propaganda, Temple is definitely better than LaSalle. LaSalle's program is definitely competent, and you could do a lot worse. But if you are really looking to become the best SLP you can, you definitely want to go to Temple. People come from far and wide to get services at the clinic there, or to meet with faculty who specialize in particular subfields (stuttering, reading, blingualism, and aphasia come to mind). Some program requirements are more rigorous than at other schools, but not unduly so, and the result is that Temple grads are much more sought-after than grads from LaSalle (the only other place in Philly that offers the degree). Employment out of the Temple program is always at 100% within six months, and employers report that when they hire a Temple grad, they are more confident that the person knows their stuff than they are with graduates of other programs, including LaSalle. It is quite a bit harder to get admitted to Temple than LaSalle, but it's worth it.