Drawing Emphasis

DrwMnml

Does anyone know about MFA programs that have an emphasis on drawing. A lot of the programs seem to just throw drawing in with the painting focus. My work is all about the examination of the drawing medium and I would like to pursue an MFA at an institution with either a drawing emphasis option or faculty well known for their work in drawing. I am talking about contemporary drawing not something classically based. Any recommendations would be helpful as I'm not coming up with too much in my research.

Just apply to drawing & painting programs. Many people who apply to D&P don't even show any drawings in their portfolio. It works the other way too if all you have are drawings. I recommend you conduct more research and talk to your art professors about grad school too.

My work is drawing-based as well, along with installation. I applied to painting programs, but leaned more towards schools that emphasize interdisciplinary practices, or I applied to schools that don't distinguish between media (studio arts programs). Look at the work of current/previous students on the schools' websites - if it's all oil on canvas, you probably shouldn't apply there.

Thanks for the replies. True on all fronts. I am already looking at a few drawing/painting programs as well as some multi-disciplinary programs. I was just curious about the MFA programs solely devoted to drawing. I have found a few, UMASS at Dartmouth for one. I do feel that since my interest is contemporary work and not traditional drawing, my best bet is the multi-disciplinary programs and forward thinking painting/drawing programs. I guess I was just curious if anyone knew of MFA programs that are doing any interesting work with a drawing focus, or programs with faculty doing interesting work in drawings.

Most schools are filled with smart faculty who can work with your interests. I work independently with faculty who don't create artwork like me at all, but sometimes they are better than faculty who do work similarly to myself.

If your doing interesting stuff, they usually won't try to change you, they'll just push your work into deeper/smarter investigations fo your own interests. I would look more for schools that have the facilities and opportunities you want. Since drawing is the backbone of many art practices, most faculty will be able to push you.

Edit: Also I would look into schools whos faculty have a similar rhetoric about abstraction. Your artist statement is very modernist, so that may hinder you at some schools and help you at others.

Edited by michaelwebster