NYU VS NYU!

pomo

I am having trouble deciding between NYU's Gallatin MA program and Steinhardt's Media, Culture & Communications MA. My research areas fit well in both programs, but I am wondering which program will be most helpful when I apply for the PhD. I already live in NYC, and have other offers; however, I have narrowed my choices down to these programs. Forgoing the MA and applying directly to PhD programs next year is not an option.

At first I was hesitant because I heard it is difficult to get GA or TA spots in Gallatin, but after talking to current students in both programs, it looks as if it is difficult (but not impossible) in either scenario.

Is Gallatin considered more academically rigorous? Gallatin students undergo a three reader thesis defense process, where Steinhardt only asks MA students to complete a shorter thesis with one reader and there is no defense requirement.

Will it be more beneficial to me down the line to be part of a cohesive department? Steinhardt's program would give me a degree in something specific, whereas Gallatin just awards an MA in Individualized Study. I already have an interdisciplinary BA from a top LAC...

I am leaning toward the MCC MA, especially because the department has been very communicative since I recieved notification of my admission. I just worry that it is considered less "academic" somehow because it is a media/culture/comm program? I want to make sure I make the decision that will give me the best opportunity to pursue serious scholarship.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Well Pomo, this is coming from someone who was wait listed to Gallatin, so just letting you know my perspective! :)

Somewhere on Gallatin's website (I don't know where exactly, but I remember reading it) that traditionally, Gallatin students do not go on to pursue a PhD, because of the interdisciplinary nature of the Master's degree. Students who do go on to PhD programs after Gallatin have to have extremely focused Master's programs. So I guess it depends on your program proposal? And it may be worth it to talk to faculty members in both programs? I also don't know anything about Media and Communications Studies PhD programs, so it also probably depends on their program requirements and what they look for in applicants- what kind of education they have, what experiences they have had, etc. So I think those are some things you should look into before you make your decision! Good luck!

Well Pomo, this is coming from someone who was wait listed to Gallatin, so just letting you know my perspective! :)

Since writing the original post, I have pretty much decided to take the offer from MCC. I think having a degree IN something (my BA is interdisciplinary) is going to be helpful, plus MCC gave me a great aid package, whereas Gallatin hasn't even returned my emails regarding financial aid! Anyway, my MCC open house is tonight and assuming that goes well, I will be turning down my other offers. I hope my Gallatin spot goes to you!!

Since writing the original post, I have pretty much decided to take the offer from MCC. I think having a degree IN something (my BA is interdisciplinary) is going to be helpful, plus MCC gave me a great aid package, whereas Gallatin hasn't even returned my emails regarding financial aid! Anyway, my MCC open house is tonight and assuming that goes well, I will be turning down my other offers. I hope my Gallatin spot goes to you!!

I think thats a great decision Pomo! especially given that MCC program is giving you a good financial aid package. congrats!! Thats the downside I've always heard of Gallatin...that they don't offer much/anything in terms of financial aid. Like I mentioned in a previous post - I got into my top choice which was The New School with a 25% merit scholarship, but still haven't even heard a peep from Gallatin. Its now been a month since they told me I'd hear in a couple of weeks. So I understand when you say they're not being very responsive! I want to know though! Its still an amazing program, so if they get back to me with a great aid package (???), then I'll definitely have a big decision.

Good luck at your open house tonight!

I got into my top choice which was The New School with a 25% merit scholarship, but still haven't even heard a peep from Gallatin. Its now been a month since they told me I'd hear in a couple of weeks. So I understand when you say they're not being very responsive! I want to know though! Its still an amazing program, so if they get back to me with a great aid package (???), then I'll definitely have a big decision.

Weirdly, I just got my award letter from Gallatin after emailing them last week asking about aid (I can't see more than one award on the NYU backend, so they had to tell me via email) and they gave me a pretty small scholarship spread out over the first three semesters. MCC + The New School did better with aid, but I appreciate that Gallatin got back to me, because now I can make an informed decision. Maybe you should email them and see if they get back to you?

Weirdly, I just got my award letter from Gallatin after emailing them last week asking about aid (I can't see more than one award on the NYU backend, so they had to tell me via email) and they gave me a pretty small scholarship spread out over the first three semesters. MCC + The New School did better with aid, but I appreciate that Gallatin got back to me, because now I can make an informed decision. Maybe you should email them and see if they get back to you?

That is weird! I called last week and emailed again today actually. So we'll see! And yes you're right - just want to make an informed decision with all my options :)

That is weird! I called last week and emailed again today actually. So we'll see! And yes you're right - just want to make an informed decision with all my options :)

JenniferLauren, have you heard back about admission to NYU Gallatin? I'm pretty sure you are the one I was talking to on facebook, I'm the other Jennifer. :P Their admissions office seems to be VERY scattered. I tried to visit their office over my spring break a few weeks ago and wasn't allowed to talk to anyone in person, I was told that I could only call or email John Bradley. This was extremely frustrating after having traveled from NC, sooooo... Anyway. Just felt like venting.

Waiting to hear back is the MOST frustrating thing. I'm still waiting to hear from Baruch College, although that is probably going to take forever, their application wasn't due until April 1. Blah blah blah, whine! :P

Pomo, call Gallatin and tell them you want your spot to go to me! Haha, just kidding. How did the open house go? Are you happy with MCC? :) If we are all in NY in the fall we should get coffee sometime, even if we aren't all together!

JenniferLauren, have you heard back about admission to NYU Gallatin? I'm pretty sure you are the one I was talking to on facebook, I'm the other Jennifer. :P Their admissions office seems to be VERY scattered. I tried to visit their office over my spring break a few weeks ago and wasn't allowed to talk to anyone in person, I was told that I could only call or email John Bradley. This was extremely frustrating after having traveled from NC, sooooo... Anyway. Just felt like venting.

Waiting to hear back is the MOST frustrating thing. I'm still waiting to hear from Baruch College, although that is probably going to take forever, their application wasn't due until April 1. Blah blah blah, whine! :P

hey there! yup I'm the other Jennifer haha yes they do seem very scattered! My experience with The New School was always so informed and pleasant, so its hard to still be waiting on Gallatin. They told me at the beginning of March it would be another 3 wks (when they initially told me it would be 3/1), then I called last week and John had no real status, just that they were still reviewing it. I emailed Fran this afternoon and just got an email back that they're just waiting a decision from the faculty. ugh yes definitely frustrating! I just wish they could give me an estimate. I have to give The New School a response in about 2 wks, and I want to be able to make a totally informed decision. (I only applied to Gallatin and NSSR). It'll depend on financial aid.... but I'll let y'all know!! :)

I'm so sorry you were turned away from the office when you went for Spring Break! thats totally frustrating.

Yeah, every time I contacted John he gave me a different date too... and I called him probably 6 times... Oh well! Hopefully you will hear from them soon! I have my fingers crossed for you, although the New School does sound like a good option for you. Is there any way they could extend their deadline a little bit to wait to hear from Gallatin? I doubt they can be flexible, but it's worth asking, right?

After my failed visit to NYU, my grandparents convinced me to visit Baruch College's admissions office, and they couldn't have been friendlier. I spoke to an admissions counselor AND the director of admissions for the School of Public Affairs and they gave me a ton of information. They really sold me on their program. I volunteer with the admissions office at my undergrad and I really appreciate that personal touch that Baruch gave me. When I explained I was from NC and couldn't make it to a regular open house they were incredibly hospitable. So now I'm waiting to hear from them, and I'm hoping for the best!

• 3 weeks later...