Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Off topic, I'm curious why you didn't apply to UIowa as the English department seems very supportive to DH. 

I compiled my list off of not only programs' strengths in print culture and DH, but their faculty that worked specifically in African American print culture. It's a pretty narrow focus and I jumped on any program that had more than one professor in the field. I was, actually, led to the majority of the programs I applied to by the author's published in the anthology, Early African American Print Culture. I also didn't want to overload on too many top 30 programs, and I couldn't afford to apply to more than 10. UIowa is definitely a program that I would look into further if I have to do this awful, awful process again.

I see a lot of Michigan acceptances--that's my dream school and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm assuming I didn't get in, but I'm just curious what some of your backgrounds are that led you to get accepted. I particularly applied to the joint program in English & Women's Studies...I saw one person was accepted to that particular degree already--care to share how you scored this slot? 

Still haven't heard any acceptances yet and I'm getting quite worried...gah, someone tell me it's going to be okay! 

I see a lot of Michigan acceptances--that's my dream school and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm assuming I didn't get in, but I'm just curious what some of your backgrounds are that led you to get accepted. I particularly applied to the joint program in English & Women's Studies...I saw one person was accepted to that particular degree already--care to share how you scored this slot? 

Still haven't heard any acceptances yet and I'm getting quite worried...gah, someone tell me it's going to be okay! 

Hey, I applied to the same joint program, but I"m not holding out any hope at this point. Considering that they supposedly only accept two applicants, and there's one acceptance on the board, I'm assuming all we can continue to hope for is either a waitlist or a rejection. I know this isn't the hope you were looking for...but hopefully you've got a few more baskets in which to place your metaphorical eggs.

Edited by dazedandbemused

Thanks Mocha. Yeah, I figured that U of M isn't going to be where I'm going. Total bummer. As of now I don't have acceptances from anywhere else yet...still waiting to hear back from a few places. So, needless to say, I'm quite worried about my chances. 

I'm curious though--what's your background? And are you applying to other Women's Studies/English programs?  

Hi there,

So my situation is weird. I'm actually in a program now, an English and Creative Writing combo (post MFA), and I've been feeling very down. After a lot of soul searching, and questioning as to whether or not I like being in academia, I've pretty much concluded that I don't like the area (I'm from LA, so the semi-rural/college town is torture for me, especially as a single gay man) and the idea of writing poetry in (as opposed to adjacent to) academia. So I've decided to take a leave of absence next year and use that time to apply to proper PhD programs in English Lit this fall.

Anyway, one thing I didn't do a good job of last fall, I think, was looking at fit, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions of where to start looking when it comes to programs that specialize in film theory/visual culture, poetry, 20th C American lit, and gender/sexuality studies (with a focus on LGBT/queer lit)? I'm just trying to generate a list of programs to explore. Also interested in what writing samples people are thinking of using. It looks like I'll be using a paper on the function of ghosts in bridging the fictional and nonfictional in Maxine Hong Kingston's Woman Warrior.

Hi there,

So my situation is weird. I'm actually in a program now, an English and Creative Writing combo (post MFA), and I've been feeling very down. After a lot of soul searching, and questioning as to whether or not I like being in academia, I've pretty much concluded that I don't like the area (I'm from LA, so the semi-rural/college town is torture for me, especially as a single gay man) and the idea of writing poetry in (as opposed to adjacent to) academia. So I've decided to take a leave of absence next year and use that time to apply to proper PhD programs in English Lit this fall.

Anyway, one thing I didn't do a good job of last fall, I think, was looking at fit, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions of where to start looking when it comes to programs that specialize in film theory/visual culture, poetry, 20th C American lit, and gender/sexuality studies (with a focus on LGBT/queer lit)? I'm just trying to generate a list of programs to explore. Also interested in what writing samples people are thinking of using. It looks like I'll be using a paper on the function of ghosts in bridging the fictional and nonfictional in Maxine Hong Kingston's Woman Warrior.

I think definitely USC, I know of a few people there doing related things.

Have you read the book Ghostly Matters? You might find it interesting.

Honestly, those interests are so broad that you could just about apply anywhere -- most schools have quite a few people specializing in queer lit, as well as a women's studies and american studies departments (that you might draw on for your project). 

Have you read the book Ghostly Matters? You might find it interesting.

Honestly, those interests are so broad that you could just about apply anywhere -- most schools have quite a few people specializing in queer lit, as well as a women's studies and american studies departments (that you might draw on for your project). 

This. 

Edited by StephanieDelacour

I'm curious if anyone applied to big ten schools and got in? I see a lot of Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Brown, etc. people on here and those schools are just far out of my league. If anyone applied (and especially got in) to any big ten schools, care to share how you went about doing that? 

FYI: CU Boulder's grad committee is meeting this week to review MA applications.

Do you happen to know if Boulder is done with PhD notifications? I've seen folks chalking up radio silence to assumed rejections, but Cynthia Ocken (grad secretary) tells me they're still reviewing apps. I'd just like to know and be done with it!

Do you happen to know if Boulder is done with PhD notifications? I've seen folks chalking up radio silence to assumed rejections, but Cynthia Ocken (grad secretary) tells me they're still reviewing apps. I'd just like to know and be done with it!

As they say, it's not over until it's over, but I'm one of the applicants calling the silence a rejection. Cynthia is actually the one I've been in touch with too, and she said it's a 2% acceptance rate, while the MA is 57% (which is why I asked to be considered for MA as well). Based on previous years, though, it is possible more acceptances should go out. Really, all I know is that they're starting MA candidate review today.

As they say, it's not over until it's over, but I'm one of the applicants calling the silence a rejection. Cynthia is actually the one I've been in touch with too, and she said it's a 2% acceptance rate, while the MA is 57% (which is why I asked to be considered for MA as well). Based on previous years, though, it is possible more acceptances should go out. Really, all I know is that they're starting MA candidate review today.

Alas.

Hey, Cactus Ed, at least you have one great acceptance (and WL) already! So at least you have some good options. :)

You're right - didn't mean to sound ungrateful! I'm actually waitlisted for funding at ASU though, so I'm just a little nervous because no funding equals no PhD... but at least there are some possible options on the table.

I hope something turns out for you this week, Pericles. Keep the faith! Looks like you applied to a diverse array of programs...

You're right - didn't mean to sound ungrateful! I'm actually waitlisted for funding at ASU though, so I'm just a little nervous because no funding equals no PhD... but at least there are some possible options on the table.

I hope something turns out for you this week, Pericles. Keep the faith! Looks like you applied to a diverse array of programs...

I'm sorry! That wasn't a dig. I was trying to be optimistic for someone else because I don't have much optimism left for myself. ;) I'm in the same situation with funding. Of course, none of the programs I applied to that have yet to notify applicants assure funding. Really, getting in without funding is my second biggest worry, next to not getting in at all.

While it may not look like it, there is definitely a method to my madness (one that literally involved spending all summer narrowing down schools). I've already been rejected from a few really close fits, which is why I'm throwing my hat into the ring for some MA programs even though I already have a MA in American Studies.

Anyway, good luck to us all. :)

While it may not look like it, there is definitely a method to my madness (one that literally involved spending all summer narrowing down schools). I've already been rejected from a few really close fits, which is why I'm throwing my hat into the ring for some MA programs even though I already have a MA in American Studies.

I almost took a VERY similar strategy (+ throw in some gender studies for the LOLs) so I believe you! Anyway, been rooting for you all along, my fellow interdisciplinarian.

So I just happened to check the website for Georgia State and noted that the application deadline for both Lit and Comp/Rhet has been extended to March 1 (?!!!!!).  If anybody's feeling supremely unconfident and think they can get together an application by Friday, it might be worth looking into.

Anyone admitted to Tufts who is thinking about going elsewhere...? I would LOVE to go there and am currently high on the waitlist, so... :)

I'm not leaning any one direction and am still going over my options. Tufts is an amazing program and would be difficult to turn down, though.