Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Would any of you admitted English people be willing to read my revised statement of purpose for MA programs with April 1 app deadlines? I figured I should re-do it because it clearly didn't work for PhD programs. Fortunately the programs limit it to two pages, so hopefully there's limited opportunity for me to screw up.

pm me too.

Would any of you admitted English people be willing to read my revised statement of purpose for MA programs with April 1 app deadlines? I figured I should re-do it because it clearly didn't work for PhD programs. Fortunately the programs limit it to two pages, so hopefully there's limited opportunity for me to screw up.

I can take a look at it as well. 

I am wondering if anyone may have any advice: a POI at a school that has accepted me e-mailed suggesting we meet for coffee when I come to the visiting weekend. I haven't completely ruled this school out, but at this point I think it's very likely I'll be going there, and I wasn't planning on attending the visiting weekend. I wanted to visit some other higher preference programs before ruling this one out completely. Any advice on how I should reply to this POI? 

Hey sebastian, 

If you're still considering what to do about this situation, here's my take on it: for me, it would probably depend on the PoI's position in your field of interest and the potential for a fruitful professional relationship. If this person is a prominent scholar in the field (and you think you maybe could swing the visit if you tried hard enough), I'd go just to establish contact with him/her. It could turn out to be the start of a great relationship, even if you don't end up attending that person's program. If you really can't make the visit work, and/or this PoI is not central to your work or a fairly new scholar in the field, I'd send a nice email explaining that you can't make it for whatever reason, probably including some questions for that PoI about his/her work that might be of interest to you. Hope that helps.  

I'm sorry :(

I am just curious, are the rejection letters personalized? Is that why they seem to be coming one by one?

They seem completely templated (I was addressed by my full name, including middle initial, and directed to their website should I want to re-apply). It was sent as an attachment by a grad secretary. I honestly don't know why they're coming one by one.

They seem completely templated (I was addressed by my full name, including middle initial, and directed to their website should I want to re-apply). It was sent as an attachment by a grad secretary. I honestly don't know why they're coming one by one.

I am sorry about the rejection. Their procedure just seems so weird.

HEY GUYS. are there like graduate student satisfaction surveys anyone, from folks at various programs?!

i sorta wish, and i am randomly trolling googlesearch in vain ...

anywhere on here that folks know about? all of this talk about admissions has been SUPER helpful; but i'm wondering

if there are fora people use once they're actually in the programs?! it would be so great to hear follow-up; things folks

wished they woulda known about/asked, &c.&c. !!!

thanks so much!

To all my University of Florida MA applicants. I spoke to the graduate dept. today and the graduate committee has finished the application review process. They are hoping to send out notifications tomorrow, via post and e-mail. Good luck to everyone who applied!!

To all my University of Florida MA applicants. I spoke to the graduate dept. today and the graduate committee has finished the application review process. They are hoping to send out notifications tomorrow, via post and e-mail. Good luck to everyone who applied!!

Thanks for the update. I am assuming it's the same for PhD applicants? I am also assuming I'm rejected, which is fine, but I am still just baffled at their one e-mail at a time approach. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the update. I am assuming it's the same for PhD applicants? I am also assuming I'm rejected, which is fine, but I am still just baffled at their one e-mail at a time approach. Good luck everyone!

Yeah. She said something along the lines that PhD notifications are wrapping up. Then they will send the MA notifications.

Speaking of the one e-mail at a time approach... I'm yet to hear a word from Buffalo. I fill like there's going to be a massive downpour of rejections coming soon...

In the same boat. But it looks as if they are posting rejections.

Looks like CMU has started notifying Rhetoric PhD rejections and Lit & Culture MA acceptances... any word on the Lit & Culture PhDs? Looks like it's been done by phone in previous years. I think they only admit about 6 each year, so I'm not expecting one (I would probably turn it down for PSU anyway), but it would be nice to hear...