Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

I do feel like Florida's been a little quiet today. Can't decide if it means a slew of rejections are coming via email (they've finally decided against this one at a time thing) or if it means absolutely nothing, and I'm just driving myself crazy for no reason (what else is new). 

They do seem pretty committed to acceptances via phone, though. 

Right??? No word to-day. Lame. Maybe I'll call to-morrow.

I'm wondering if I should try to contact someone other than the grad secretary... 

ETA: I just e-mailed Dr. Dobrin. Will let you know if he replies.

Edited by sebastiansteddy

Just got my rejection from Carnegie Mellon, and I feel like a total idiot. Apparently they only admit 3 people per year, and I never would have applied if I'd known that. It was my last choice, and the closest I had to a "fallback" (though, of course, there's no such thing), but I thought they admitted closer to 12. Whoops.

Do they funnel their MA students into the PhD? I couldn't find anything on the website that indicated how it all works, but I think I just totally misunderstood their process. Another app fee down the toilet...

Just realized UF is on break this week... but some decisions did go out earlier this week.

Oh, damn. Well, maybe we'll hear regardless. Or maybe the info about responses going out was... wrong. Who knows. Lame.

Just got my rejection from Carnegie Mellon, and I feel like a total idiot. Apparently they only admit 3 people per year, and I never would have applied if I'd known that. It was my last choice, and the closest I had to a "fallback" (though, of course, there's no such thing), but I thought they admitted closer to 12. Whoops.

Do they funnel their MA students into the PhD? I couldn't find anything on the website that indicated how it all works, but I think I just totally misunderstood their process. Another app fee down the toilet...

I did my MA at CMU and they do not funnel their MAs. I've applied the past two years and have not gotten in. My MA class was about 13 students and they get around 200 phd applications and only have three slots. It suckssssss.

Who posted the UF MA waitlist?

When I called the English graduate dept. I was told I would have to wait for an e-mail/letter to know my status...

I was told the same. She said she'd e-mail me right away, and then she never did.

ETA: She also said all decisions have been made and it is just a matter of notifying. I don't get why they have to e-mail one applicant at a time...

I applied to the PhD - so maybe she meant all PhD decisions have been made? Who knows what's going on at UF. It really annoyed me that she said she'd e-mail me right away, and then never did. I know she's probably overworked, but it seems like their department is just terribly unorganized. It's not making me think very highly of the department...

I applied to the PhD - so maybe she meant all PhD decisions have been made? Who knows what's going on at UF. It really annoyed me that she said she'd e-mail me right away, and then never did. I know she's probably overworked, but it seems like their department is just terribly unorganized. It's not making me think very highly of the department...

I had the same issue. I e-mailed last month confirming I would be considered for both the MA and PhD. I never heard back. I e-mailed again this week and was told I would receive a response right away, but I never heard back. It's disappointing because UF is a really great fit for my interests and, you're right, things definitely don't seem super organized. :-/

I'm looking for some advice, doods, because I've informed myself into total confusion. Here's where I'm at: Penn State vs University of Washington. I've got a rankings question/crisis. The two schools are listed as being the same rank in US News & WR, but University of Wash is ranked MUCH lower in the NRC's 2010 rankings. What gives? Also: if you had to pick between the two, what would you choose and why? Informal poll, so to speak. 

I called up UF on Friday night (it was morning there, owing to the time difference) and was shocked and thrilled to be notified by Professor Sidney Dobrin, graduate coordinator, that my name was at the top of the acceptance list!! He further mentioned that acceptances will be e-mailed next week (this week) and explained my funding package to me. Really excited as he was very kind and forthcoming with the things the adcomm loved about my application and since his area is posthumanism too, he'd read my WS and loved it!!

I'm guessing everyone will be notified very soon.

P.S. they have an incoming cohort of 6 PhD candidates this year out of about 150 applications.

Hope this helps :)

I'm looking for some advice, doods, because I've informed myself into total confusion. Here's where I'm at: Penn State vs University of Washington. I've got a rankings question/crisis. The two schools are listed as being the same rank in US News & WR, but University of Wash is ranked MUCH lower in the NRC's 2010 rankings. What gives? Also: if you had to pick between the two, what would you choose and why? Informal poll, so to speak. 

I don't know much about either school, but I'm reticent to make any decisions based on rankings alone. Maybe I'm the only one who prefers to give the middle finger to prestige (while still acknowledging it's relevancy when it comes to Harvard, Stanford, etc.), but I feel like it's the work that you do at said program that is the most important. What I'm saying is: which program will allow you to do the most kick-ass work?

Penn State would be the one I picked, if I were admitted to both. I think it has a much better reputation, and I suspect that UW will drop a bit when the next rankings come out. I think funding at Penn State is much more secure than at UW. BUT you need to consider your fit with the program, faculty you'd like to work with, etc.

I called up UF on Friday night (it was morning there, owing to the time difference) and was shocked and thrilled to be notified by Professor Sidney Dobrin, graduate coordinator, that my name was at the top of the acceptance list!! He further mentioned that acceptances will be e-mailed next week (this week) and explained my funding package to me. Really excited as he was very kind and forthcoming with the things the adcomm loved about my application and since his area is posthumanism too, he'd read my WS and loved it!!

I'm guessing everyone will be notified very soon.

P.S. they have an incoming cohort of 6 PhD candidates this year out of about 150 applications.

Hope this helps :)

When I e-mailed Dr. Dobrin, he just forwarded it to the grad secretary, who refused to tell me anything via phone. How did you get in touch with him via phone, and not the grad secretary? Did you call him directly? I am confused, because they notified some accepted students a while ago, and quite a few rejections have already gone out as well.

ETA: CONGRATS!!!!

I called up their office and was directed to the grad secretary as well.  She said she'd seen my name somewhere and I assumed she was referring to the e-mails I'd sent her prior  to submitting my application asking her many questions. She kept me on hold for a while and I assumed she'd forgotten . She then came back and said she was transferring the call to the graduate coordinator , I presumed at that point that they'd lost my application or something.

and...THANK YOU!! it's a great relief no doubt to know that I atleast have one acceptance :)

I have still not received my e-mail from their office but I was assured that they'll be sent out this week.

I called up their office and was directed to the grad secretary as well.  She said she'd seen my name somewhere and I assumed she was referring to the e-mails I'd sent her prior  to submitting my application asking her many questions. She kept me on hold for a while and I assumed she'd forgotten . She then came back and said she was transferring the call to the graduate coordinator , I presumed at that point that they'd lost my application or something.

and...THANK YOU!! it's a great relief no doubt to know that I atleast have one acceptance :)

I have still not received my e-mail from their office but I was assured that they'll be sent out this week.

Hmm... well maybe it's not over yet? Who knows what's going on there... 

But again, major congrats!