Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

I called up UF on Friday night (it was morning there, owing to the time difference) and was shocked and thrilled to be notified by Professor Sidney Dobrin, graduate coordinator, that my name was at the top of the acceptance list!! He further mentioned that acceptances will be e-mailed next week (this week) and explained my funding package to me. Really excited as he was very kind and forthcoming with the things the adcomm loved about my application and since his area is posthumanism too, he'd read my WS and loved it!!

I'm guessing everyone will be notified very soon.

P.S. they have an incoming cohort of 6 PhD candidates this year out of about 150 applications.

Hope this helps :)

Congrats!!!

Looks like NYU finally sent out rejections.  But goddamn, the "Butler-and-Foucault-spouting dipshits" post was lame.  There's nothing more pathetic than a self-loathing humanities student.

Haha, right? I also love how "shocked" some folks are to be rejected from a school that rejects like 98% of applicants. Get over yourself.

I don't know much about either school, but I'm reticent to make any decisions based on rankings alone. Maybe I'm the only one who prefers to give the middle finger to prestige (while still acknowledging it's relevancy when it comes to Harvard, Stanford, etc.), but I feel like it's the work that you do at said program that is the most important. What I'm saying is: which program will allow you to do the most kick-ass work?

Penn State would be the one I picked, if I were admitted to both. I think it has a much better reputation, and I suspect that UW will drop a bit when the next rankings come out. I think funding at Penn State is much more secure than at UW. BUT you need to consider your fit with the program, faculty you'd like to work with, etc.

I, too, feel super icky thinking in terms of rankings, but I don't wanna be a dummy and ignore how much they "can" matter as well. After trying to figure out exactly where these schools sit in relationship to one another, however, I give up. I'm basically in the place that: they are both sturdy English programs at well-regarded Research I Universities. It's not like I'm trying to compare either to a top 10. And PSU might be more well-regarded, higher in the NRC Rankings, but not particularly for the areas in which I work, at least, that's my impression. In that case, I think it may just come down to the best fit. It's funny because the two comments I got are so emblematic of the general advice I'm getting--split straight down the middle. Some say W, some say P. I guess I wish I had a really clear cut choice, because these sorts of calls make me feel crazy. Anyway, thanks for the input! If anyone else wants to chime in about the relevance of prestige, tiering, and why it matters or doesn't, I'm down to read your opinions! 

Just in case anyone's interested, the new ones are up for 2013. It looks like nothing has really changed in the top 25.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/english-rankings

More dramatic movement in the lower end. Stony Brook and Fordham both deservedly went up.

Edited by TripWillis

I already emailed the graduate program administrator at the end of February trying to get the status of my application, and got the standard "committee still reviewing applications" response. Maybe I'll email her again. In all likelihood my rejection email is on its way.

In the same position! I've been debating whether I should go ahead and call... I'll be in NY in a few days to visit CUNY, and if anything funky is going on with NYU, I'd rather know before/while I'm there.  

I have a feeling that the MA conjecture might be accurate, though, or that our rejections might be hanging in the balance--Duke's process took several days, for example.

Best of luck to you either way!!

In the same position! I've been debating whether I should go ahead and call... I'll be in NY in a few days to visit CUNY, and if anything funky is going on with NYU, I'd rather know before/while I'm there.  

I have a feeling that the MA conjecture might be accurate, though, or that our rejections might be hanging in the balance--Duke's process took several days, for example.

For what it's worth, I'm in the same situation with NYU. Last year, I applied for an MA program there and heard back at around this time, so their hesitation could very well be because of MA consideration.

I'm going to the CUNY open house too. I would definitely like for NYU to be settled by then.

To all Florida applicants:

I called the grad office yesterday and the secretary told me my status (something she wouldn't do last week). So chances are if you call now you should be able to get some information.

She said they accept 5 students and send out 8 letters. I am mid-way on a 30 person waitlist, so it's unlikely i'll get in. Good luck to everyone else!

To all Florida applicants:

I called the grad office yesterday and the secretary told me my status (something she wouldn't do last week). So chances are if you call now you should be able to get some information.

She said they accept 5 students and send out 8 letters. I am mid-way on a 30 person waitlist, so it's unlikely i'll get in. Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats on the wait list. I wonder why they won't tell me what is up with my application?!?!

GUYS GUYS GUYS.

Indiana finally rejected me yesterday, so... This means I am definitely going to accept UNC's offer!  :blink:

Decision made--I can't believe it. I pretty much knew this was coming, but there's something so dramatic (to me, at least) about knowing for SURE.

Eeee!

GUYS GUYS GUYS.

Indiana finally rejected me yesterday, so... This means I am definitely going to accept UNC's offer!  :blink:

Decision made--I can't believe it. I pretty much knew this was coming, but there's something so dramatic (to me, at least) about knowing for SURE.

Eeee!

Exciting stuff!  Now UNC just needs to admit me off their wait list so I can accept too.  ^_^  (Well, I won't say I'd accept for sure, but I probably would.)

I recall being in the middle of a ~50 person waitlist at Florida back in the 2009-10 admission cycle, for English (film studies track). I also recall Florida being quite terrible with communications. Ultimately, I actually never received any final word from them, via email or post. Not that it mattered by then since I had already decided to go with the Chicago MAPH (this was around May), but it certainly did not leave me with a favourable impression of Florida. 

My silence from NYU turned into a partially funded MA offer. At least the offer of some funding and the statement that MA students are welcome to apply to continue in NYU's PhD program afterward makes it feel a little better than the unfunded UChicago MAPH offer (not that it's not a good program — I just wonder how interested they could have been in me if they weren't offering any funding).

I recall being in the middle of a ~50 person waitlist at Florida back in the 2009-10 admission cycle, for English (film studies track). I also recall Florida being quite terrible with communications. Ultimately, I actually never received any final word from them, via email or post. Not that it mattered by then since I had already decided to go with the Chicago MAPH (this was around May), but it certainly did not leave me with a favourable impression of Florida. 

Still no word from Florida for me. Everyone I talk to keeps telling me Dr. Dobrin will send me an e-mail right away, but he hasn't. This has been going on for THREE weeks now. I've been assured that a decision has been made on my file, but no one will tell me what that decision is. Normally I'd assume it's a rejection, but hints have been given to me that it might not be one. I wonder if I am wait listed? Regardless, there is no way I'd attend at this point. The department seems in complete disarray. I can understand someone taking a day or two to send an e-mail after promising to do so, but THREE WEEKS?!

They probably keep such a long wait list because so many students have a bad experience with their office that they decline for programs that are more organized and better run.

End of rant.

Edited by sebastiansteddy

So, waiting-for-NYU folks, I was also offered the the NYU MA this morning.

I'll be turning it down for sure. For what it's worth, I got into an unfunded MA at NYU last year and actually considered going, but the debt was too daunting and visiting showed too plainly that there is a lack of institutional support for NYU's MA students.

Question for you guys from a Canadian: How's Wayne State? I'm thinking about accepting my PhD offer there instead of at Queen's in Canada. What do you think? (I feel really silly for not knowing anything about it.)

Exciting stuff!  Now UNC just needs to admit me off their wait list so I can accept too.  ^_^  (Well, I won't say I'd accept for sure, but I probably would.)

YES! I really, really hope that you get accepted. Let's launch an elaborate plan to sabotage everyone else at the Open House!  :ph34r:

...Well, OK, that would be really shitty of us (and you don't need to fight dirty anyway), but I'm pulling for you. Waitlisterz 4 lyfe!

YES! I really, really hope that you get accepted. Let's launch an elaborate plan to sabotage everyone else at the Open House!  :ph34r:

...Well, OK, that would be really shitty of us (and you don't need to fight dirty anyway), but I'm pulling for you. Waitlisterz 4 lyfe!

Thanks, I really hope it works out for me!  Question: have you started planning which events you will and will not attend at the Open House?  Some of them overlap, so it's not possible to attend everything (and the itinerary states that we're free to pick and choose what to attend).  For example, the first day there's a graduate seminar by Dr. Flaxman that conflicts with a visit to a wine bar.  Now, the former is surely more academically useful than the latter, but still...

And have you emailed professors to request course syllabuses and/or to arrange one-on-one meetings?  I haven't done either; I need to soon. 

Basically, 1) I don't know what the hell I'm doing, 2) I'm extremely nervous about this campus visit, and 3) I'm hoping you'll be able to offer solidarity/advice.  :P

ETA: Oh and you can PM me if you prefer.

Edited by Two Espressos

For example, the first day there's a graduate seminar by Dr. Flaxman that conflicts with a visit to a wine bar.  Now, the former is surely more academically useful than the latter, but still...

Maybe not! The wine bar sounds like a great time to network and chat with a lot of different people.

Maybe not! The wine bar sounds like a great time to network and chat with a lot of different people.

True!  Tough decisions...

Question for you guys from a Canadian: How's Wayne State? I'm thinking about accepting my PhD offer there instead of at Queen's in Canada. What do you think? (I feel really silly for not knowing anything about it.)

I don't know anything about Queen's, but I don't think Wayne State has that great of a reputation.  It's a pretty lowly ranked program, and I wouldn't advise anyone to attend anywhere outside the top 50 or so, with a few exceptions.  (Obviously, many people on here will disagree strongly with this.  And yes, the U.S. News and World Report rankings are bullshit, but they do give a general idea of prestige.)

I remember you stating in another thread that Queen's is ranked in the top 5 or so in Canada.  You'll have to gauge for yourself how each program will attend to your research, career goals, etc.  Also bear in mind that typically one gets a Ph.D. in the country in which one wishes to teach. (Again, with a few exceptions: Oxbridge, the Ivies, you get the idea.)

True!  Tough decisions...

I don't know anything about Queen's, but I don't think Wayne State has that great of a reputation.  It's a pretty lowly ranked program, and I wouldn't advise anyone to attend anywhere outside the top 50 or so, with a few exceptions.  (Obviously, many people on here will disagree strongly with this.  And yes, the U.S. News and World Report rankings are bullshit, but they do give a general idea of prestige.)

I remember you stating in another thread that Queen's is ranked in the top 5 or so in Canada.  You'll have to gauge for yourself how each program will attend to your research, career goals, etc.  Also bear in mind that typically one gets a Ph.D. in the country in which one wishes to teach. (Again, with a few exceptions: Oxbridge, the Ivies, you get the idea.)

As a Canadian, I can say that the majority of tenure-track jobs here are actually going to candidates from top American schools now... :/