Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

The grad secretary at Florida replied to my e-mail: "It is a hard call for me to say if you will be admitted or not." No idea what that means... I think I'll still assume rejection unless someone tells me otherwise.

That sounds like a wait list to me! Though probably not a very high spot on it.

Thanks @sebastianteddy and @mobydick :)

Yes I know it has been a long wait for the UF notifications. I myself called them out of sheer desperation and was fully expecting to be told nothing of much use. Although Dr. Dobrin told me I'd been accepted, the pessimist in me wants to see the e-mail for concrete proof :D

Coincidentally, 32 years ago,my parents got their PhDs from UF !! so this is doubly sweet for me :)

@mobydick whereelse did you apply this season?

@ sebastianteddy I'm sorry to hear of the reply to your e-mail. But looking at your signature one can safely say you've come up trumps this season and have some great choices to choose from!! 

I still hope UF turns out to be an acceptance for you :) and will be rooting for you!

@ sebastianteddy I'm sorry to hear of the reply to your e-mail. But looking at your signature one can safely say you've come up trumps this season and have some great choices to choose from!! 

I still hope UF turns out to be an acceptance for you :) and will be rooting for you!

That's cool that you were accepted there and it's where your parents did their graduate work!!!

And thanks! UF is strong in my research areas (visual rhetoric/ graphic narratives, trauma studies, and critical theory) - that is why I am still somewhat interested in them. But if I am not accepted, I am not going to worry about it at all. Thanks :)

Just declined Maryland's offer and managed to feel incredibly guilty about it. Hope the spot goes to someone who will love it there!!

Hi Katja454,

Don't feel guilty about Maryland! I notice you've been accepted to UC Davis. That's the only place I've applied for Fall 2013 (in an MA program now).

When do you get your acceptance, if you don't mind my asking?

Has anyone else heard from UC Davis for the English PhD program?

Looks like NYU finally sent out rejections.  But goddamn, the "Butler-and-Foucault-spouting dipshits" post was lame.  There's nothing more pathetic than a self-loathing humanities student.

That post kind of made me want to apply to NYU next year.

Looks like NYU finally sent out rejections.  But goddamn, the "Butler-and-Foucault-spouting dipshits" post was lame.  There's nothing more pathetic than a self-loathing humanities student.

For real.  Those were the sourest of grapes.

That same malcontent would've been happily assumed the role of one of those "dipshits" had he/she been admitted...

"I'm sure they'll make you proud when their blog about animal studies and queer performativity reaches a thousand pageviews."

Bitterness is an ugly thing. I'm sure the poster's general lack of humility, the competitiveness of the program, and his not getting in are some kind of correlated.

Edit: Also, spouting Butler and Foucault, animal studies, and queer performativity? Wow, this person just described the general thrust of my work.  B)

Edited by TripWillis

Some people are just arseholes. Unfortunately, I don't think this had anything to do with his acceptances/rejections. Such arseholes will be getting into programs ranked both highly and lowly... this one just happened to be rejected.

For instance, I was told about someone else who accepted an offer at a top 40 program, because that's the best one they got into... but they were obviously just doing it to pass time until the next application season, because they are dropping out of their current program to go to Berkeley now.

I thought that was hilarious, as a queer theory student.

Some people are just arseholes. Unfortunately, I don't think this had anything to do with his acceptances/rejections. Such arseholes will be getting into programs ranked both highly and lowly... this one just happened to be rejected.

For instance, I was told about someone else who accepted an offer at a top 40 program, because that's the best one they got into... but they were obviously just doing it to pass time until the next application season, because they are dropping out of their current program to go to Berkeley now.

Wow, that's unbelievable. Hopefully facing their former colleagues and advisors at conferences from now until the end of time will be punishment enough. Then again, some people can't feel shame.

Looks like NYU finally sent out rejections.

So what does it mean to still not hear from NYU one way or the other? NYU is the only school I'm still waiting to hear back from and I've been assuming rejection for weeks, but didn't hear a peep from them today. What gives?

So what does it mean to still not hear from NYU one way or the other? NYU is the only school I'm still waiting to hear back from and I've been assuming rejection for weeks, but didn't hear a peep from them today. What gives?

Maybe you're being considered for their MA?

Maybe..I already have an MA, though. Would they consider offering me an MA spot when I already have one?

If it meant bringing in money, then yes. 

No but really, I think (if I remember correctly) they had a spot on the application to click on if you didn't want to be considered for the MA.

Who knows though? Maybe you never got your wait list notification or something?

Maybe..I already have an MA, though. Would they consider offering me an MA spot when I already have one?

Is it in English? I have an MA in American Studies, and I asked to be considered for an MA in a couple of the English programs I applied to and it didn't seem to be an issue.

Edited by soitgoes

If it meant bringing in money, then yes. 

No but really, I think (if I remember correctly) they had a spot on the application to click on if you didn't want to be considered for the MA.

Who knows though? Maybe you never got your wait list notification or something?

I don't totally remember either, but I would have clicked that box if it was there.

I already emailed the graduate program administrator at the end of February trying to get the status of my application, and got the standard "committee still reviewing applications" response. Maybe I'll email her again. In all likelihood my rejection email is on its way.