Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Firstly, huge congratulations on all of your acceptances and best of luck to those of you still waiting for news!

Just a quick question about the magical, mystical "fit" element: in your SOP, is it wise to focus on a single academic doing research that floats your boat in a department, or should you maybe reference two or even three? It feels a little risky to hone in on one person alone, and in some cases I think I'd be thrilled to work with either of two profs who are doing closely connected work in my area...

Fit doesn't have to be faculty, either. Reading groups, annual events/seminars, teaching resources, archives, "center for X," "institute of Y" and so on. 

I guess the reason it strikes me as shady is because I feel like in the humanities a program shouldn't make offers if they don't know they can back them up. I mean, imagine accepting that offer in good faith and then finding yourself, three years into a PhD, with no funding and no options. I know academia is a business, but I guess the idealistic part of me thinks it shouldn't be so corporate.

It really is possible that they could actually not have funding for you one year, especially at a state school where the legislature determines the budget. I don't think this sort of language means it's likely that you would lose your funding, but like others have said they just can't make absolute guarantees. Unfortunately state schools' budgets can be pretty precarious.

And this is exactly why I'm admittedly prejudiced against state institutions. Funding can be dangerously precarious. As a student, that's the sort of nightmare one doesn't need, considering what we have to deal with in the normal course of a PhD.

It's not over for me yet either, 1Q84!  I have a spot on the wait list of a great Ph.D. program and an acceptance from Georgetown that I will not accept unless I'm offered funding, so this cycle could very well be a bust for me. :(   It's so hard waiting to see if the wait list will convert or not, especially after having visited the campus in question and having met the faculty and current/prospective grad students [like It's (Not) About Me], who are so cool!

April 15th seems so far away...

Guy, you are probably the person on this forum everyone is pulling for. I really, really hope you make it! Is there any word? Did you get positive vibes during your visit? Are you in touch with your DGS? I just got an email from Pitt yesterday that makes me think they'll make me an offer. I will, of course, not hog the position needlessly, but it reminded me of your situation.

Solidarity!

Sending you some good vibes...

Sending you good vibes as well!  Here's to hoping!

Wait listing is the worst. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm really hoping yours converts!

Same, gwwg!  You have three great wait list spots; any one of them could convert.  In fact, let's hope they all convert, so you can be in the enviable position of having multiple options! ^_^

Guy, you are probably the person on this forum everyone is pulling for. I really, really hope you make it! Is there any word? Did you get positive vibes during your visit? Are you in touch with your DGS? I just got an email from Pitt yesterday that makes me think they'll make me an offer. I will, of course, not hog the position needlessly, but it reminded me of your situation.

Thanks for your kind words, Swagato.  I got extremely positive vibes during my visit: to be honest, in some respects it couldn't have gone better.  One of the faculty members I met with--on a whim, strangely enough-- practically begged me to attend!  He's on the admissions committee, so if they turn to the wait list, I do think I have a solid chance of being accepted, but lots of people would need to decline before they'd turn to it, I think.  And what's more, most of the people I talked to at the visit weekend were certain they'd attend the program...

It's complicated, in short.  Everyone I talked to told me that I would fit perfectly with the program, and the Director of Graduate Admissions straight-up told me that the department wanted me to attend.  But they can only make so many offers, so I'm at the mercy of the accepted students.

Edited by Two Espressos

dazedandbemused: I wouldn't let the language reflect what you think of the University or the department. I really think they are being practical considering the precarious position higher education now has in the state of Florida. It sucks, but there is a very tangible possibility that the humanities will be treated as a third-tier discipline under Rick Scott. 

So I finally got my funding offer from Florida this weekend, and I was wondering what other accepted people's letters looked like. In particular, I thought it was interesting the way the language made it so that you were guaranteed funding, while still keeping a loophole just in case funding ran out.

No, I definitely think this is weird. I only applied to state schools (it wasn't intentional, and I didn't even realize the commonality until February or so!), and all of my acceptances and my one wait list detailed funding that was guaranteed for five to six years. There was no ambiguous language, no contingencies. My impression of any offer is that if we accept, it is a contract; they have to pay us the stipend as long we maintain the standards they establish for their grad programs. Unless, of course, the school puts loophope language into the contract. In fact, University of Arizona, which is in a state that is facing terrible budget cuts and attacks against education, waited until early March to contact their accepted students because they didn't want to notify until they were sure they could guarantee the money for five years. 

No, I definitely think this is weird. I only applied to state schools (it wasn't intentional, and I didn't even realize the commonality until February or so!), and all of my acceptances and my one wait list detailed funding that was guaranteed for five to six years. There was no ambiguous language, no contingencies. My impression of any offer is that if we accept, it is a contract; they have to pay us the stipend as long we maintain the standards they establish for their grad programs. Unless, of course, the school puts loophope language into the contract. In fact, University of Arizona, which is in a state that is facing terrible budget cuts and attacks against education, waited until early March to contact their accepted students because they didn't want to notify until they were sure they could guarantee the money for five years. 

Exactly! Quite a few of my schools are state schools and this is the only one that had that weird contingency language. Other schools have either waited until they knew they could afford the students they wanted or simply accepted fewer students this year in order to keep costs low. Champagne, I don't really have much of an opinion of Florida, negative or positive, at this point. I just think it's very uncool to cover one's ass when it comes to a student's future in the humanities. Better to admit fewer students or try again next year.

Hey--I'm seeing a lot of Maryland activity on the results page. Anyone else still waiting to hear? I'm nervous that there was an issue with a "missing" transcript (actually my junior year abroad program, which is included on my regular undergrad transcript), even though I spoke to them about it by phone early last month...

I was admitted to three state schools, and while they didn't quite word the funding information in the same way that Florida did, they did clarify that TAships must be renewed each year. This is so that they can terminate you if you aren't actually doing your job and also so that they cover themselves in case the state legislature slashes funding. Really, it is out of their control what the legislature will do. Budgets are confirmed year-to-year, and unfortunately, I have witnessed several entire departments being cut at my undergrad state institution.

I was under the impression that such language was standard.  If the funding simply is not available in a given year, universities would rather not be sued by graduate students for violating the contract.  My current program (not lit, FWIW) as well as many that I've researched note that funding is contingent on the money actually being there and on performance.

Hey--I'm seeing a lot of Maryland activity on the results page. Anyone else still waiting to hear? I'm nervous that there was an issue with a "missing" transcript (actually my junior year abroad program, which is included on my regular undergrad transcript), even though I spoke to them about it by phone early last month...

I got my rejection on Friday (followed by a letter in the mail this weekend). Perhaps still waiting is a good thing? From what I can tell from other posters, they're very cagey about letting people know they're waitlisted...

Thanks so much! You're too kind!

At the moment, kicking back only one leg as I'm still waiting on LMU. After that, I can kick back both :)

Hope your UCR acceptance becomes "damn official" very soon!

Edited by 1Q84

I just received an acceptance in the mail for an English MA at Calstate: LA! Yipee!

Congrats! When I presented at Significations a few years ago (okay, five years ago. Jeesh, I'm old), I observed a real sense of professionalism and collegiality among the Cal State LA cohort. 

Just heard from the DGS at Georgia State and wanted to update people who are interested in that program. According to his email, I am one of a very few number of people being offered funding. The funding package looks pretty similar to what is posted in the funding thread. I'm turning to down, so I hope that helps someone on here! I'd be really interested to hear who accepts GSU, so let me know!

Just heard from the DGS at Georgia State and wanted to update people who are interested in that program. According to his email, I am one of a very few number of people being offered funding. The funding package looks pretty similar to what is posted in the funding thread. I'm turning to down, so I hope that helps someone on here! I'd be really interested to hear who accepts GSU, so let me know!

That's a helluva a teaching load for only 13K...

Edited by Cactus Ed

I also got funding from Georgia State and am going up for a visit next week.  After that, I plan to make my decision, one way or the other.  I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.  Kind of feels like I'm going to do the pee pee dance, but in a good way.

I also got funding from Georgia State and am going up for a visit next week.  After that, I plan to make my decision, one way or the other.  I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.  Kind of feels like I'm going to do the pee pee dance, but in a good way.

Congrats! and Yay us for being their top people! Even if we are (or possibly, in your case) turning them down. . .

Congrats! When I presented at Significations a few years ago (okay, five years ago. Jeesh, I'm old), I observed a real sense of professionalism and collegiality among the Cal State LA cohort. 

Well, shucks, I can't wait to be the next proflorax! (And five years ain't that long ago!)

AND just received admission to Loyola Marymount University! Hooray!

• 3 weeks later...

You guys!  I just found these on my computer. :lol:   This was from last year, I think.  Could one of the more seasoned Grad Cafe members guide me to the thread in which these hilarious photos were originally made?

For those who haven't seen them before, enjoy! 

grad_pamphlet_1.jpg

Edited by Two Espressos

• 2 months later...

Last year, I applied to 8 PhD programs and was rejected from all of them. After taking extra courses in my intended area, I decided to reapply. I applied to 1 program for Fall 2013 and was accepted. Sometimes everything falls apart to fall together. Keep trucking and you'll get there!