Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

And on a totally unrelated note--who knew Michigan and Maryland would wait so long to notify? NOT THIS GUY. 

Right? Smells like a conspiracy.

YES. WHAT IS GOING ON? Hahaha. Michigan is still a total longshot for me, but I haven't mentally removed it from my list like I have with Stanford, Penn, Brown, Cornell, etc. Mostly because I lurve it so much that I know I'm going to take the rejection really hard. Anyway, I just want someone to hear something already!  :blink:

YES. WHAT IS GOING ON? Hahaha. Michigan is still a total longshot for me, but I haven't mentally removed it from my list like I have with Stanford, Penn, Brown, Cornell, etc. Mostly because I lurve it so much that I know I'm going to take the rejection really hard. Anyway, I just want someone to hear something already!  :blink:

Ditto! Michigan is SUCH a good fit (and commutable distance from my fella) so I'm dying-- please put me out of my misery, Michigan!

The worst thing is that basically, no matter what I say, I want people to tell me stuff like "It's not over until it's over."  Masochistic much?

Haha, I think I posted this on another thread, but I was sooo irked with people who haven't read my writing (or total strangers) saying vaguely positive/reassuring things about my app--until my neighbor heard that I was applying to English PhD programs, paused awkwardly for 30 seconds, and said "I'll be interested to know how that goes... English is... hard, you know..."

Now I'm all about vaguely positive/reassuring things! Because that experience made me realize that it's incredibly rude for someone to say anything else, and, hello, I don't want people to be honest with me anyway!

Just yesterday my boss (a non-English professor) asked about my apps and in response to my virtual hand-wave she said "Yes, well, you have to understand that the field that you are applying to is very competitive." My boss is awesome and brilliant but I wanted to throw something.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your academic interests?

@damequixote, modernist and contemporary poetry, theory, philosophies of language. The email says: "Our graduate committee was very impressed by your writing sample and, given our faculty strengths in your research area (of 20th-century poetry), we believe that you are a perfect fit for our program."

It seems like there's a large degree of chance at work in acceptance decisions—lining up with faculty interest, but also lining up with faculty who are able to take (or bargain for) new advisees, as sometimes they have to take turns. 

Ditto! Michigan is SUCH a good fit (and commutable distance from my fella) so I'm dying-- please put me out of my misery, Michigan!

It is going to break my heart into little pieces when Michigan rejects me (not just because it's my last shot, but because it's Michigan). Judging by your interests in your signature, Michigan definitely seems a good fit for you.

Does anyone know whether the Language and Literature acceptances go out at the same time as English and Women's Studies at Michigan? I applied to the joint program, even though I know I don't really have half a chance in hell (I think they accepted two last year?) and I just want to be put out of my misery!

Just yesterday my boss (a non-English professor) asked about my apps and in response to my virtual hand-wave she said "Yes, well, you have to understand that the field that you are applying to is very competitive." My boss is awesome and brilliant but I wanted to throw something.

As all of my guy friends are so fond of saying, "thanks, Captain Obvious."

I <3 vaguely reassuring things. They're so much better than the alternative, and one of the few calming things I have in my life at the moment.

Does anyone know whether the Language and Literature acceptances go out at the same time as English and Women's Studies at Michigan? I applied to the joint program, even though I know I don't really have half a chance in hell (I think they accepted two last year?) and I just want to be put out of my misery!

They don't necessarily. They're independently run programs.

When you get in, let me know if you have any questions. I have pretty deep connections to the WS dept.

I have been wondering about that too! There's an acceptance to the English and Education program that's been listed on the results board since February 4. This indicated to me that the joint PhD programs must be doing their admissions slightly separate from the regular-flavor PhDs. Or maybe not. I didn't apply to a joint program, so I'm only speaking out of general curiosity.

This! I'm under no delusions about actually getting in, but I just want it to be official so that little tiny irrational spark of hope inside me that's just so freakin' annoying will just die already. Wow. The things application season does to a person.

@damequixote, modernist and contemporary poetry, theory, philosophies of language. The email says: "Our graduate committee was very impressed by your writing sample and, given our faculty strengths in your research area (of 20th-century poetry), we believe that you are a perfect fit for our program."

It seems like there's a large degree of chance at work in acceptance decisions—lining up with faculty interest, but also lining up with faculty who are able to take (or bargain for) new advisees, as sometimes they have to take turns. 

Thanks, dmmar! :)

If you want, I can kill your hope for you. 

This! I'm under no delusions about actually getting in, but I just want it to be official so that little tiny irrational spark of hope inside me that's just so freakin' annoying will just die already. Wow. The things application season does to a person.

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it! For all that I tell myself I am resigned to my fate (re: implicit rejections), there IS that tiny spark of hope. For example, I knew I wasn't getting into Duke long before I got the official rejection letter, and I thought I was ready for it, but MAN, it still stung! I was not prepared for the tears that came. :wacko:  So for the rest of my implicit rejections and never-had-a-chances, I just want to get it over with. Lol.

I'm part of the Emory slaughter today.  A (slightly) amusing note: their rejection letter is the exact same one they sent out last year.

Classy.