Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Yeah, I'm really starting to feel burnt out on application stress. I've gotten to the point where I'm like, "Oh, another school I applied to is notifying and I haven't heard anything? Meh." Of course, it probably helps that I got into my second/third choice (tied w/Michigan).

Yes exactly. I'll be indifferent once I get one acceptance too.

Yeah, I'm really starting to feel burnt out on application stress. I've gotten to the point where I'm like, "Oh, another school I applied to is notifying and I haven't heard anything? Meh." Of course, it probably helps that I got into my second/third choice (tied w/Michigan).

been lurking and too shy to post, but i got to feeling creepy so decided to bite the bullet

this is my second rodeo and so far more successful than the last. i guess in the interest of disclosing acceptances: i'm in at syracuse and have an ambiguous (waitlist?) from CUNY, i'm a "finalist" there and will be attending the open house.

i have a lot of other implicit rejects but still holding out a sliver of hope for 3 schools

i've loved reading all the posts, it's so heartening in the midst of all the tension/waiting

congrats to all who've been accepted!! and all the UPenn people, i did undergrad and masters in english there. fantastic program and great people, feel free to message if you have questions.

so basically, the point is...thanks all :)

Has anybody else received nothing from programs? I can assume two rejections but I have heard nothing! It is driving me crazy. When do you think the "no news is good news" switches to "no news is bad news?" I am thinking that this week is the longest that I can hold on to the former mindset.

Basically, the Buffalo application status site is some kind of witchcraft.

Hahahaha. I probably would find this less funny if I were a fellow Buffalo applicant--sorry!--but this cracked me up.

Does anyone remember when we used to be happy, positive, (relatively) mentally stable people, before applications turned us into severely unbalanced cynical shells of our former selves?  I miss that me...  She also knew how to use commas.

i-had-fun-once-it-was-awful.jpeg

I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but I am actually so relieved to be able to enter that stage. I just got my first acceptance and I am still completely reeling/will probably be riding an adrenaline high all day. I'm just so grateful now that anything else that happens will just be icing, you know?

I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but I am actually so relieved to be able to enter that stage. I just got my first acceptance and I am still completely reeling/will probably be riding an adrenaline high all day. I'm just so grateful now that anything else that happens will just be icing, you know?

I would LOVE to be in that stage. It's (Not), did you just get pulled off the WL? If so, CONGRATULATIONS! That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anybody else received nothing from programs? I can assume two rejections but I have heard nothing! It is driving me crazy. When do you think the "no news is good news" switches to "no news is bad news?" I am thinking that this week is the longest that I can hold on to the former mindset.

Wow, that is pretty strange! Depending on how long ago the other decisions went out, I think it would be reasonable to contact them. Is it just that your other schools haven't started notifying at all yet?

You know what is just WEIRD, re: silence? Why hasn't Stanford contacted ANYONE yet? Hahaha. I'm not expecting to hear from them (seriously), but I can't believe they haven't invited people out to interview yet. Are they not planning to make their final decisions until April? Or just not interviewing this year? HMMM...

I've been barely breathing since this week began. One of my top choices met yesterday and I had previously been advised to expect news from them this week. That place tends to notify admits/waitlists/rejects all at once, so it doesn't mean anything.

I've also learnt that I am very, very close to possibly making it in--whether a direct admit or a waitlist--at a place that I did not dare hope for, when this round began. In fact, I simply assumed I had no chance whatsoever. If I receive good news from this place, it will quite possibly unhinge me temporarily. I've been re-reading the email communications I received over the weekend. They still don't make sense (as in, how did I of all people end up so close?). I catch myself musing over how life would be there, and I want to smack myself for being silly. I'm close, but yet so far.

Still, to have come this far over the past year--if nothing else, it has made me utterly sure that if this round doesn't work out, I'm going right back to the drawing board. 

And then there's the other waitlist that I have to sit on, hoping something works out there. 

...and I have 3 places left to notify, once the above has been taken into consideration. 

Edited by Swagato

On 2/20/2013 at 10:15 AM, It said:

Wow, that is pretty strange! Depending on how long ago the other decisions went out, I think it would be reasonable to contact them. Is it just that your other schools haven't started notifying at all yet?

So far only two of the schools (NYU and WashU) have sent out any sort of decisions. It just looks like so many other people on here have heard from so many programs (I had also heard from all but 2 of 8 by this time last year) and so I was wondering if anyone else is completely in the dark.

Last year, the rest of the programs I applied to started sending out decisions from Feb 20-March 1. Looks like I'm in for a week long anxiety attack, and my girlfriend has been threatening to put xanax in my food...

I have, however, been taking my mind off of applications with this game: http://greatgatsbygame.com/ I figure you English peeps will find it just as amazing as I did.

Same here. Nothing but implicit rejections. I mean, can't they just tell me that I didn't get in so I can go on with my life!!

Edited by cbttcher

I have, however, been taking my mind off of applications with this game: http://greatgatsbygame.com/ I figure you English peeps will find it just as amazing as I did.

omg. 8bit little man doing the charleston on top of a garden fountain just made my days. it made all of the days.

Same here. Nothing but implicit rejections. I mean, can't they just tell me that I didn't get in so I can go on with my life!!

It is probably the most frustruating thing ever.

Dear Lord.  I will never get anything done ever again.

My favorite part is that you gain health by drinking martinis.

Yes! Thank you so much!  :) I have my fingers hellllllla crossed for you, too!

Thank you! And, seriouslty, congrats again! Such PHENOMENAL news!

This is amazing. Thank you!

Find a place where they don't cry on you.  They hit the same place every time.  Once you've done that (toward one of the edges), you can jump and throw your whateverthehellthatis.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

Edited by thebeatgoeson

First of all, this thread has just made my life, forever. I have never seen anything so glorious and damaging to my grading productivity.

Second, a legit question.  One of the places I applied to, where I am unashamedly lusting to a possibly unhealthy level for an acceptance, has, according to the forum, started accepting within the next two or so weeks.  But I'm dying to know if that will be the case this year.  So I'm wondering, A, if it'd be annoying to Email them and ask them when decisions might start going out, given that it might be soon and I don't want to be the "are we there yet?" girl, and B, if it is okay to ask, how one might go about phrasing an Email like that to avoid sounding like a crazy person.  Thanks.

Dear Dr. _____:

My name is Katia-chan and I am an applicant to the University of BFE English Ph.D. program this year.  I am sorry to bother you at what I'm sure is a very busy time, but I was wondering if you could advise me when I might expect to hear back from the admissions committee about my application?

Thank you for your time.

Katia-chan

And leave it at that.  If they get back to you, they get back to you, and if they don't, just let it be.  One polite email would never tip the balance against you and if the DGS has a set schedule, that kind of email should only take a minute or two to respond to.

First of all, this thread has just made my life, forever. I have never seen anything so glorious and damaging to my grading productivity.

Second, a legit question.  One of the places I applied to, where I am unashamedly lusting to a possibly unhealthy level for an acceptance, has, according to the forum, started accepting within the next two or so weeks.  But I'm dying to know if that will be the case this year.  So I'm wondering, A, if it'd be annoying to Email them and ask them when decisions might start going out, given that it might be soon and I don't want to be the "are we there yet?" girl, and B, if it is okay to ask, how one might go about phrasing an Email like that to avoid sounding like a crazy person.  Thanks.

Dear Dr. _____:

My name is Katia-chan and I am an applicant to the University of BFE English Ph.D. program this year.  I am sorry to bother you at what I'm sure is a very busy time, but I was wondering if you could advise me when I might expect to hear back from the admissions committee about my application?

Thank you for your time.

Katia-chan

And leave it at that.  If they get back to you, they get back to you, and if they don't, just let it be.  One polite email would never tip the balance against you and if the DGS has a set schedule, that kind of email should only take a minute or two to respond to.

I wrote a very similar email to a couple of my programs, which didn't seem to hurt at all (I'm sure they get multiple emails like that a day). However, don't be suprised if the answers don't help. The responses  I got were very vague (a possible result of getting the same email everyday), such as "fairly soon" and "We expect to send out decisions around the end of February and early March."