Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Thanks!  I've been too nervous to email any of the schools I'm waiting for, but that is really helpful.

You're welcome! It makes me nervous too, but this period of not knowing anything is stressing me out so much that I figured I'd just go for it.

I just e-mailed Maryland to ask if all of their acceptances have gone out. This is the response I got: "The admissions committee is still deliberating; students will be notified once the decision has been reached."

skybythelight let's hold hands for UMD and UMich and wish really hard. I'll take a waitlist at this point! 

tumblr_lxr8wbmO2q1qf94cpo1_500.jpg

skybythelight let's hold hands for UMD and UMich and wish really hard. I'll take a waitlist at this point! 

Hand holding commence! Yes, I'd be happy with ANY news that isn't bad news at this point as well. I'm considering e-mailing Michigan as well. Sigh.

Skybythelight, you're the best! I've been too nervous to email programs -- there's never a moment in my day where I'm "ready" for the possibility of a "Yeah, no" type email in response to my inquiry. But your news has made my day! Here's hoping they're just trying to find the most glorious, magnificent way ever to tell all of us that we're in. They're probably planning having the Dean jump out of a cake while Jennifer Hudson sings "Happy Grad School to You!" accompanied by a band comprised entirely of kittens. I mean that's what I would do/plan. If I were them. And wondering how to accept us.

Edited by kareneliz

Skybythelight, you're the best! I've been too nervous to email programs -- there's never a moment in my day where I'm "ready" for the possibility of a "Yeah, no" type email in response to my inquiry. But your news has made my day! Here's hoping they're just trying to find the most glorious, magnificent way ever to tell all of us that we're in. They're probably planning having the Dean jump out of a cake while Jennifer Hudson sings "Happy Grad School to You!" accompanied by a band comprised entirely of kittens. I mean that's what I would do/plan. If I were them. And wondering how to accept us.

I'm out of upvotes, but this is wonderful. I'm glad I could help! Thinking positive thoughts for all of us.

For all we know, the Adcomm is on Gradcafe right now, obsessively checking to see if anything else magical has been said, and they're so consumed by our little e-community that they simply forgot to hit "send" on those acceptance emails. :-P Positive thoughts, hand-holding and Grumpy-Cat-Faced-Defiance-In-The-Possibility-Of-Rejection all around!

Me too me toooo! I'll take a spot on the Michigan waitlist! Hah.

Hand holding commence! Yes, I'd be happy with ANY news that isn't bad news at this point as well. I'm considering e-mailing Michigan as well. Sigh.

Let me know if you do. I'm not rabid for news from them, but I'd really like to know if they're done, if there's a waitlist, etc.

Because I said I'd come back with this. Please, please read Anne Curzan's "Says Who." Anyone who thinks NOT using the singular "they" is traditional is seriously mistaken -- we have been using it for hundreds of years and it was only in recent conduct books that it was deemed "wrong."

I really, really, REALLY hate ze/hir but, eh.

ME TOO. I just think they sound really silly coming out of my mouth, and I'm not one for making up words, even if it is in service of making the world a bit less heteronormative. Singular "they" is my best friend

ME TOO. I just think they sound really silly coming out of my mouth, and I'm not one for making up words, even if it is in service of making the world a bit less heteronormative. Singular "they" is my best friend

I just don't think they'll ever be sufficiently normalized to actually serve their purpose. I also don't think the underlying assumption that we need a third choice (instead of doing away with the binary altogether) is especially productive. I certainly respect anyone who wants to use them for themselves but I'm not going to be active about it the way I am with the singular "they."

Because I said I'd come back with this. Please, please read Anne Curzan's "Says Who." Anyone who thinks NOT using the singular "they" is traditional is seriously mistaken -- we have been using it for hundreds of years and it was only in recent conduct books that it was deemed "wrong."

I really enjoyed watching this! Thanks!

Sorry if I missed this, but has anyone emailed Rutgers?  They seem to be a bit slow this year.

Yar, I want to know what's going on with them! I remember attempting to make a file of each school's official line on decision dates, and literally all Rutgers's website says on that topic is: "Individual committees within your program make admissions decisions, and this process may take up to several months." Gee, that's helpful.  :rolleyes: But their decisions seem to have been made riiiiiight around this time in past years. That bomb could drop any day now.

So many reports in one short day. 

If someone says something you don't like, you can ignore it and move on. 

I know everyone is tense, but seriously, this English forum is especially vicious this year. 

Please try to behave. If you can't, take a break. If you can't behave and can't take a break, we'll be glad to help you with that. 

I really enjoyed watching this! Thanks!

Yar, I want to know what's going on with them! I remember attempting to make a file of each school's official line on decision dates, and literally all Rutgers's website says on that topic is: "Individual committees within your program make admissions decisions, and this process may take up to several months." Gee, that's helpful.  :rolleyes: But their decisions seem to have been made riiiiiight around this time in past years. That bomb could drop any day now.

She's got about 12 other videos and they're ALL amazing. Highly recommended. Big Anne Curzan fan.

I think Rutgers' visit weekend is only a couple days after Michigan's so they have got to get the acceptances out there and soon. So nervous. They're my favorite and my last. High stakes.

I just don't think they'll ever be sufficiently normalized to actually serve their purpose. I also don't think the underlying assumption that we need a third choice (instead of doing away with the binary altogether) is especially productive. I certainly respect anyone who wants to use them for themselves but I'm not going to be active about it the way I am with the singular "they."

The difficulty of normalizing hir/xer/xe/ze (and here we see that even the people who want to use them aren't all on the same page) is definitely worth taking into consideration, and I also appreciated girl who wears glasses's video.  I would like to address the idea of "ze" as indicative of a third choice, as I've always considered it to mean something more like your use of the singular "they."  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've used hir/ze in speech, but I do like the clarity for my academic writing.  Additionally, the disruptive impact is probably worth something in and of itself, which sounds like the beginning of a whole different conversation in a whole different thread.  Different strokes, all very interesting. 

The difficulty of normalizing hir/xer/xe/ze (and here we see that even the people who want to use them aren't all on the same page) is definitely worth taking into consideration, and I also appreciated girl who wears glasses's video.  I would like to address the idea of "ze" as indicative of a third choice, as I've always considered it to mean something more like your use of the singular "they."  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've used hir/ze in speech, but I do like the clarity for my academic writing.  Additionally, the disruptive impact is probably worth something in and of itself, which sounds like the beginning of a whole different conversation in a whole different thread.  Different strokes, all very interesting. 

I think I have only heard it from older members of the queer community and exclusively to refer to people who identify as trans (who don't always necessarily take up those pronouns themselves and blah blah blah I have always felt like they were kind of a way of buying into the idea that we need to be able to name someone else's gender but that's just been my experience with the words). I agree that the ideal is that it disrupt the he/she binary but I think it has much less real traction than "they." (Both because we already use "they" fairly regularly in everyday speech so it's not a difficult transition but also because I think its linguistic sneakiness can be more productive than something more didactic. It is entirely sidestepping and disrespecting the need to name/know gender because it assumes that to be a total non-issue.) I find introducing the idea of ze/hir helpful in kind of a queer theory 101 sort of way because it's built on something familiar and thereby accessible way to introduce other ideas but I'm never going to militantly use them in academic writing the way I do with "they."

Anyway, YES these ideas are so much fun to talk about even/especially as it's kind of difficult/messy given the wildly differing opinions of those who are on exactly the same page.

I think I have only heard it from older members of the queer community and exclusively to refer to people who identify as trans (who don't always necessarily take up those pronouns themselves and blah blah blah I have always felt like they were kind of a way of buying into the idea that we need to be able to name someone else's gender but that's just been my experience with the words).

Oh, yeah.  That is the worst, y'all.

Me too me toooo! I'll take a spot on the Michigan waitlist! Hah.

Let me know if you do. I'm not rabid for news from them, but I'd really like to know if they're done, if there's a waitlist, etc.

I did e-mail. All I got was that they will be finished notifying by the end of the month. No details.

I did e-mail. All I got was that they will be finished notifying by the end of the month. No details.

Hmmm! I'll take it--that's only a week away! Haha. Thank you for being brave enough to contact them, and for sharing the response you got. I hope we hear sooner rather than later.  :wacko:

Hmmm! I'll take it--that's only a week away! Haha. Thank you for being brave enough to contact them, and for sharing the response you got. I hope we hear sooner rather than later.  :wacko:

You're welcome! I hope so too. I'll keep thinking good thoughts for us all.