MA in linguistics

Nordicllama

Hi everyone, I am a history major going to graduate school for history, but one day I might like to dip into linguistics and get an MA in the field. I have experience in several languages (French, Spanish, German, Arabic) though no formal linguistics training. Can anyone offer insight into what I will need in order to get an MA?

Thanks!

Llama

You can get into some MA programs without a lingusitics specific background, but others will reject you, or will conditionally admit you until you take required courses. Could you take an elective or something through your program now? Sorry if thats a silly question I really have no idea, but some programs have an introdductory course that students are required to take first (is Syracuse) but I think its safe to say that a linguistics background is a huge assest in the admissions process

You could probably contact the schools you're interested in about what it might take to strengthen your background in linguistics. I have only taken 2 linguistics courses, & I only got 1 flat out rejection among my applications. But I also majored in psychology which is I suppose typically seen as a related field. Anyway, for an MA program, I think it's less critical. But you would of course need to exhibit your potential to do well in a linguistics program in other ways (writing sample, statement, letters). Also, two out of three of the MA programs I applied to are in English departments -- they might be more accustom to seeing applicants without backgrounds in linguistics. Though one program I'm considering (NC State) boasts some of the best sociolinguistics faculty within their English department.

You could probably contact the schools you're interested in about what it might take to strengthen your background in linguistics. I have only taken 2 linguistics courses, & I only got 1 flat out rejection among my applications. But I also majored in psychology which is I suppose typically seen as a related field. Anyway, for an MA program, I think it's less critical. But you would of course need to exhibit your potential to do well in a linguistics program in other ways (writing sample, statement, letters). Also, two out of three of the MA programs I applied to are in English departments -- they might be more accustom to seeing applicants without backgrounds in linguistics. Though one program I'm considering (NC State) boasts some of the best sociolinguistics faculty within their English department.

I agree completly