We're going to grad school!

Can I also say that in the wake of Ph.D. acceptance, my M.A. program has become really anticlimactic? I'm sorta struggling to stay enthused, but eh... I'll make it work.

I believe it -- I felt pretty much nothing when I finished my MA, and I wasn't even going right into a PhD program. I think it's just because, for some/many of us, it's just a step along the way. Not that I'm not proud of myself/others with MAs shouldn't be proud/happy/excited, but, for me, it'll pretty much be a waste if my PhD applications don't work out. Scary.

I believe it -- I felt pretty much nothing when I finished my MA, and I wasn't even going right into a PhD program. I think it's just because, for some/many of us, it's just a step along the way. Not that I'm not proud of myself/others with MAs shouldn't be proud/happy/excited, but, for me, it'll pretty much be a waste if my PhD applications don't work out. Scary.

Ugh. I know what you mean. My M.A. was like a grand experiment in "Wow, will this debt and time mean something?" And it did. At least I think it did. We'll see in a few years. :wacko:

Ugh. I know what you mean. My M.A. was like a grand experiment in "Wow, will this debt and time mean something?" And it did. At least I think it did. We'll see in a few years. :wacko:

I've been having isolated "omg the job market" freakouts lately. My advisor gave me some really, really good advice: don't worry about the years to come. For now, just focus doing the absolute best you can as a graduate student. Work hard. Enjoy it. Have fun and meet people. Don't be naive about the job market, but don't stress about it either. The days will come for stressing about the job market. Right now, just be a full time grad student.

I know your post wasn't too serious of an "omg the job market" post, but I thought I'd share that advice nonetheless B) . And I must say, the closer it gets, the more excited I become.

I've been having isolated "omg the job market" freakouts lately. My advisor gave me some really, really good advice: don't worry about the years to come. For now, just focus doing the absolute best you can as a graduate student. Work hard. Enjoy it. Have fun and meet people. Don't be naive about the job market, but don't stress about it either. The days will come for stressing about the job market. Right now, just be a full time grad student.

I know your post wasn't too serious of an "omg the job market" post, but I thought I'd share that advice nonetheless B) . And I must say, the closer it gets, the more excited I become.

Sounds like awesome advice -- too true. Enjoy the next few years, for sure. Man, so happy for/jealous of all of you who are admitted/heading off this fall. I expect you all to report back regularly with notes about your new cities/departments/seminars. Mmhm.

That is awesome advice Stately, thank you. :)

I'm not freaking out about grad school/post grad school stuff, but it still seems really, really weird that I'm going. If someone had told me I would be doing this when I was 18, I would've laughed in disbelief. In theory I know I'm going, but I can't just wrap my mind around the actually going there part. It just feels so strange--in an awesome way--but still so strange!

I'm not freaking out about grad school/post grad school stuff, but it still seems really, really weird that I'm going. If someone had told me I would be doing this when I was 18, I would've laughed in disbelief. In theory I know I'm going, but I can't just wrap my mind around the actually going there part. It just feels so strange--in an awesome way--but still so strange!

I can completely relate. It seems sooo bizarre to think that I'll actually be attending. I can picture myself in the classrooms this fall, and I can imagine myself doing the readings/seminar papers/crazy other grad students things, but it hasn't actually registered yet. Crazy.

That is awesome advice Stately, thank you. :)

HOW WILL I KNOW YOU WHEN I SEE YOU IN AUGUST!?

EDIT: ARE YOU A CAT?

Edited by marlowe

HOW WILL I KNOW YOU WHEN I SEE YOU IN AUGUST!?

EDIT: ARE YOU A CAT?

I'll be the one covered in cat hair. :ph34r:

I think UTA GFers should have a secret symbol so we'll all know.

EDIT: Who am I kidding? All the 12 seasoners need a secret symbol and/or handshake so we'll recognize each other at conferences. CONFERENCES. We can get paid to go to them!

Edited by Fiona Thunderpaws

I'm sitting in the guest bed, dog curled up at my feet, Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism on my lap, taking alternating sips of wine and coffee, listening to a podcast, and churning through a final paper that's due tomorrow morning.

You guys are gonna love this so much....

Knowing myself, I'm sure grad school will only intensify the stress and panic I experience writing so close to deadline :unsure:

Anyone else planning to read a bunch of self-help books (on graduate study, academic productivity, etc) over the summer? I just picked up Semenza's Graduate Study for the 21st Century, which I've heard is quite good.

Knowing myself, I'm sure grad school will only intensify the stress and panic I experience writing so close to deadline :unsure:

Anyone else planning to read a bunch of self-help books (on graduate study, academic productivity, etc) over the summer? I just picked up Semenza's Graduate Study for the 21st Century, which I've heard is quite good.

Yup! Also going to pick up Getting What You Came For - have you been lurking the guidebook thread in the Officially Grads forum too? :P

Yup! Also going to pick up Getting What You Came For - have you been lurking the guidebook thread in the Officially Grads forum too? :P

I didn't even know the thread existed. So I will now :D

Yep, that's an excellent book! I bought it a while ago and have browsed through a few sections, and I'm not even a graduate student... :blink:

Yep, that's an excellent book! I bought it a while ago and have browsed through a few sections, and I'm not even a graduate student... :blink:

How'd your GRE go, Two Espressos?

When I finished mine, I was totally dazed, and started freaking out thinking I'd forgotten to do a section, then got lost in the ENORMOUS MALL the testing centre was in. I tried to wake my brain back up with frozen yogurt but I think it went dormant for a few weeks after that. Turns out I did alright in the end, so that kind of disorientation and confusion must be normal...

How'd your GRE go, Two Espressos?

When I finished mine, I was totally dazed, and started freaking out thinking I'd forgotten to do a section, then got lost in the ENORMOUS MALL the testing centre was in. I tried to wake my brain back up with frozen yogurt but I think it went dormant for a few weeks after that. Turns out I did alright in the end, so that kind of disorientation and confusion must be normal...

It went fairly well; thanks for asking! I got a 165 on the verbal and a 151 on the math. I'm thinking the verbal score will place me at the 96th percentile or so, judging from last year, and I'm happy with that. I think my overall score is something like a 1330 on the old scale, certainly good enough for me!

I can breathe a sign of relief now. The exam was shitty, but I don't have to retake it. And I think I scored well enough that most programs won't cut me right off the bat. Or at least I hope so... :wacko:

EDIT: Then again, I may have bombed the writing section. I felt confident about my essays, but ETS is notorious for weirdly grading that portion of the test!

Edited by Two Espressos

It went fairly well; thanks for asking! I got a 165 on the verbal and a 151 on the math. I'm thinking the verbal score will place me at the 96th percentile or so, judging from last year, and I'm happy with that. I think my overall score is something like a 1330 on the old scale, certainly good enough for me!

I can breathe a sign of relief now. The exam was shitty, but I don't have to retake it. And I think I scored well enough that most programs won't cut me right off the bat. Or at least I hope so... :wacko:

EDIT: Then again, I may have bombed the writing section. I felt confident about my essays, but ETS is notorious for weirdly grading that portion of the test!

Yeah I think anything in the 90th percentile or above is safe for verbal. My quant score is abysmal, but I really can't be arsed to risk screwing up my verbal in an attempt to raise my quant score. And yeah, WTF is up with the AW grading? I did well enough on my essay about dog grooming practices or whatever, but who knows why or how.

I wouldn't bother retaking it if I were you unless you scored like a 2 on the AW section. It sounds like you did great - good for you! What a relief to get that monster behind you, eh? If we were in the same town I'd buy you a drink!

Definitely read it - I couldn't put it down and I know that I will go back to it several times during my grad career.

Yeah I think anything in the 90th percentile or above is safe for verbal. My quant score is abysmal, but I really can't be arsed to risk screwing up my verbal in an attempt to raise my quant score. And yeah, WTF is up with the AW grading? I did well enough on my essay about dog grooming practices or whatever, but who knows why or how.

I wouldn't bother retaking it if I were you unless you scored like a 2 on the AW section. It sounds like you did great - good for you! What a relief to get that monster behind you, eh? If we were in the same town I'd buy you a drink!

Yeah, the AW section is just odd. I'm really glad that that whole standardized test business is behind me now, definitely a huge relief!

I wouldn't fret too much. I have time and time again been disappointed by standardized writing scores (SAT/ACt/AP etc.). I was very happy with mine on the GRE, even though I thought my second essay was garbage. I'm betting you'll be fine.