We're going to grad school!

I wanted to start a thread where those of us who are lucky enough (yes, lucky, because let's face it--even though we worked our butts off a lot of this has to do with luck) to be starting programs this Fall could just kind of gush about our excitement/nerves/fears. This is separate from the Post-Acceptance thread, because I wanted to edge away from the focus on the stress of picking between schools and sorting out funding and such, and instead share our thoughts about the academic year to come.

I just received the last of my admissions decisions yesterday, and though I was rejected from all of the PhD programs to which I applied, I was invited to enroll in the MA program at BU. For a while, this felt like more of a consolation prize, but now I'm starting to see it more as a win. I'm so excited to start being a full-time student again! And to begin what I know will be a long, difficult journey towards fulfilling my dream of becoming a professor. I'm also scared senseless, but in a good, hopefully motivating way.

Right now I'm wishing I didn't have to wait another 5-6 months to get started. Is anyone else at this stage? I know there will come a time where I'm dying for a break, so for now I guess I should revel in this feeling of happy impatience.

I'm definitely ready to get started again, too, and am remedying this edginess by plunging as much as possible into my projected studies. I'll take some intensive language courses this summer at a nearby U, and keep covering all that reading I just couldn't get to as an undergrad. Visiting my school last week has ramped up my eagerness, but also focused my intended studies: I've asked future profs. for suggested reading, and have started dreaming up independent study courses for those terms when I can't find courses pertinent to my areas. These are the days!

I wanted to start a thread where those of us who are lucky enough (yes, lucky, because let's face it--even though we worked our butts off a lot of this has to do with luck) to be starting programs this Fall could just kind of gush about our excitement/nerves/fears. This is separate from the Post-Acceptance thread, because I wanted to edge away from the focus on the stress of picking between schools and sorting out funding and such, and instead share our thoughts about the academic year to come.

I just received the last of my admissions decisions yesterday, and though I was rejected from all of the PhD programs to which I applied, I was invited to enroll in the MA program at BU. For a while, this felt like more of a consolation prize, but now I'm starting to see it more as a win. I'm so excited to start being a full-time student again! And to begin what I know will be a long, difficult journey towards fulfilling my dream of becoming a professor. I'm also scared senseless, but in a good, hopefully motivating way.

Right now I'm wishing I didn't have to wait another 5-6 months to get started. Is anyone else at this stage? I know there will come a time where I'm dying for a break, so for now I guess I should revel in this feeling of happy impatience.

I'm right there with you -- I couldn't agree more with everything you said! :D Yay us!!

I am a little nervous about hours in the week. I'll be in class for 6 hours plus I have a TAship and a Graduate Assistantship (not in the same semester, haha) both for 20 hours per week. That's 26 hours per week that I'm not working on assigned reading/papers/thesis. I really hope I have enough time for those things! :unsure:

Aw man, I didn't realize I was crashing the party in the Literature forum. I'm sorry guys! I hope you don't mind little old art history me. :lol:

Of course not! Everyone is welcome! Especially Caravaggio fans ;)

It still hasn't sunk in that I'm moving to Scotland in 5 months. And going back to school. And that this horrible year could actually end. And that I won't have to be in customer service for the rest of my life....

Yay! Hugs for everyone!

Did you attend the open house at BU last week? I was wondering if there were any other Grad Cafers there!

Did you attend the open house at BU last week? I was wondering if there were any other Grad Cafers there!

Unfortunately, no, I couldn't make it. How was it?

Unfortunately, no, I couldn't make it. How was it?

I was very impressed. Everyone, including current grad students and faculty, seemed pretty down-to-earth. It seems like a rigorous but supportive program. I'm hoping to get off the waitlist for the PhD program there, because I think it would be a great fit. I grew up just outside of Boston, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the area or my impressions from the open house. Hopefully we'll be working together next year!

Right now I'm wishing I didn't have to wait another 5-6 months to get started. Is anyone else at this stage?

Me! I've got 3 months left at my current job, and they feel ENDLESS. I just wanna go now!

It's too far away to start making concrete plans (apartments and so on) but close enough to still be really exciting.

I was very impressed. Everyone, including current grad students and faculty, seemed pretty down-to-earth. It seems like a rigorous but supportive program. I'm hoping to get off the waitlist for the PhD program there, because I think it would be a great fit. I grew up just outside of Boston, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the area or my impressions from the open house. Hopefully we'll be working together next year!

That's what I've been hearing, so I'm especially excited. Good luck getting off the waitlist! And I will definitely PM you if I have any questions about Boston. Thanks! :)

Me! I've got 3 months left at my current job, and they feel ENDLESS. I just wanna go now!

It's too far away to start making concrete plans (apartments and so on) but close enough to still be really exciting.

Exactly! I get these waves of excitement where I just want to jump up and down, but then I remember that I still have a long wait ahead of me. First there was the nervous/anxious waiting during the application process, and now the excited/anxious waiting for school to start. The gym has been my friend these past few months, helping me let out all this nervous energy.

I'm still deciding between two acceptances and I'm sick so I'm procrastinating writing, but I am really excited and feel like the most blessed person in the world at this very moment (it could be the fever). Happiness! I watched Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog twice. It was great.

I keep wondering when, exactly, the happy/joyful/excited/drunken stage of this process comes in...I seem to simply be moving from one level of abject stress-ball to another.

First, applying made me crazy, then waiting drove me bonkers, next I went nuts freaking out about campus visits, after that I was absolutely frazzled by making a choice, and now I am massively stressed out about the realities of picking up my life and moving to another country.

When does the fun bit start? I'm ready for it...

I keep wondering when, exactly, the happy/joyful/excited/drunken stage of this process comes in...I seem to simply be moving from one level of abject stress-ball to another.

First, applying made me crazy, then waiting drove me bonkers, next I went nuts freaking out about campus visits, after that I was absolutely frazzled by making a choice, and now I am massively stressed out about the realities of picking up my life and moving to another country.

When does the fun bit start? I'm ready for it...

I think it really just comes down to taking deep breaths and thinking happy thoughts. I've been unbelievably stressed through this whole process too (try planning a wedding on top of it!), and I've definitely had some huge stress freakouts about moving 3,000 miles away, but I try to focus on the fact that I'm getting that much closer to my goal. I know what I want in life and I'm actually going for it. For me, that's huge. Even if I don't end up being a professor some day, I will know that I've seriously tried. I know too many people who've spent their entire lives working jobs they either hated or just felt completely unfulfilled by, never pursued their dreams, and basically stagnated. Some of them were fortunate to find happiness outside of work, but many seem to be surrounded by a general cloud of boredom. Just pure boredom.

Try to remember you're doing what you want to do. You've worked hard, I imagine, to get where you are now. Be proud of that. Focus on the excitement of moving to a new place, instead of the stress. And, you're going to be a doctor!!! How wonderful is that?! Enjoy it now, before the real stress sets in. :)

I've mentioned here before, but I think that the process makes a certain hollowness inevitable. Manic effort, then nothing but waiting and hoping and stressing. Then, you choose. And even if its the absolute perfect school, choosing means that all that limitless possibility is now just your life.

Both. Definitely both. Especially after I read your post that BU students say the workload is impossible to manage! Aaahhh! I'm scared :unsure:

Haha don't be scared! We'll be good :) It will be a lot, I'm sure, but I think it will be exciting B) (<--- sunglasses to hide fear)

Edited by Stately Plump

Sometimes as I'm going through the craziness of my day, I stop and remind myself Hey...I'll be in school in 4 months and it makes the rest of my workday bearable B) <--- (sunglasses to try to play it cool, but in truth, I am ridiculously giddy)

Edited by cquin